Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Putting Grill Welting On: number of stock holes?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Putting Grill Welting On: number of stock holes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Putting Grill Welting On: number of stock holes?
    Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 3:24pm
I am getting to some finishing chores on my '47 CJ2A, and I am going to install the grill welt.  I have read all the threads on setting the split rivets, so that is locked and loaded.  Numerous PO's have had their way with my grill over the years - welding, brazing, Bondoing.  I think I have found and preserved the correct holes for application of the welt, but want to verify, and I can't find any pictures that are helping me confirm the position of the lowest most hole on the side of the grill.  On my grill  (see the photo, orange arrow) - just above and  to the left or right of  the outermost headlight mounting hole - seems to be the last hole in which to secure a rivet. 
I count: 11 holes across the main grill welt, and 2 each on the 2 short pieces, for a total of 15 rivet holes.

And how far beyond the last rivet hole do you extend the welting? I am guessing just about an inch, or it will be flapping about?
Thanks Jeff

Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 3:32pm
13 total is what I have.
I think you need to drop down one more hole below your arrow.
Where the fender is going to meet the grill
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 3:37pm
I just replaced mine.
I re-used the clips that CJ5s used...to heck with the rivets.
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 5:24pm
I have 13 on my 47. And they do go all the way down to the fender. What do you mean "short pieces"?
It is all one piece. Dan

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 6:04pm
Here's a couple of shots of the end of my original (what's still there) welting.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 6:06pm
OK, lucky number 13, it is.  I have one bottom side hole visible, and one that was plugged with Bondo, that I just drilled out.   Glad I asked for some help.

The short pieces I am referring to are the two hood supports that come off the top of the grill at about 40 degree angles, on the same plane as the top of the grill - one is about 2" and the other about 4".  Each has 2 holes in them for attaching the welt.  You can see them in this photo in the foreground and background. (photo credit to CharlieJeep)

Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 6:09pm
Stan - I love the patina!  Thanks for the photos to get the original perspective...
Jeff
Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Jeff_Davis Jeff_Davis wrote:

Stan - I love the patina!  Thanks for the photos to get the original perspective...
Jeff

I love the word patina!  Makes our old rusty junk sound high fashion.
Took Grampa's Jeep over 65 years to earn that look. I wouldn't change it if you paid me. I even worked up some fake patina when I replaced the floors.

Your rig is looking pretty spiffy!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 6:31pm
Patina reminds me of a sign I seen that said "I buy junk and sell antiques"LOL

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 11:52pm
Well, I have been dreading putting the welting on the grill after reading all the threads on bending up those funky split tail "rivets".  After doing the grill in less than an hour, it wasn't that bad at all.  Just use a big heaving straight blade screwdriver to get them started and finish them with a large pair of channel locks, opened enough as to not scratch the paint (or patina!)   They surprisingly laid the welting down tight and neat!
Big frustration with the well know supplier that sent a roll of welting that was exactly 3 inches short of finishing the 2"+ diagonal hood brace.  On the pro side, he did send about 20 rivets, but I only buggered one up.    He'll be getting an email...  But it won't help me much here in Argentina!
And Stan, I am taking "spiffy" as a compliment!  Thanks

Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2015 at 4:32am
Definitely a compliment.

spiff·y
ˈspifē/
adjective NORTH AMERICAN informal
smart in appearance.
"a spiffy new outfit"
synonyms:     fashionable, well dressed, elegant, trendy, stylish, chic, sharp, snazzy

Edited by smfulle - 05 Nov. 2015 at 4:35am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
The Fez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2015 at 6:38am
If you're going to use your fender for a place to rest your rum and coke, you ought to use a coaster. Smile
Dennis Braam
North Vancouver, BC
1947 Willys CJ2A https://sites.google.com/site/willyscj2ajeep/
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2015 at 12:52pm
Looks good.
 Post Reply Post Reply