Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accelerator Linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Parrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accelerator Linkage
    Posted: 31 Jan. 2016 at 12:44am
This is a 3A but I thought I would consult with the experts here...please.  Throttle linkage is the problem.  An F-134 engine with a Holley 1911 Carb.  From the floor pedal that would be up the left side of the engine, over the valve cover, (seeming to me) awkwardly attached to the carb, and a spring attached along the way to provide return to idle action.  I assume everyone understands this.  Never has worked well and then there was the moment none of this worked well and stuck pedal full throttle.  (The immediate action, of course, is simply turn off the key).  There must be a better way to get the floor pedal action to the carb.  I'm thinking a flexible cable or cost be damned electronic.  Any suggestions would be appreciated before this current set-up provides a real overspeed.  Thanks

Edited by Don Parrish - 01 Feb. 2016 at 1:25pm
Don Parrish

'46 CJ2A 15720
'52 CJ3A 452GB124659
'49 T3C T3C312
'53 600 Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor
'67 Corvette
'09 Jeep Fourdoorsy
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2016 at 1:05am
Possibly a motorcycle throttle cable with custom brackets.
Here is some info, but no solution.  Interesting read though.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 4:34pm
Don: I have a similar problem with my studebaker. Carb on the wrong side. In my case, the engineer took the regular gas pedal, bent the rod around to pull on homemade bell crank drilled into the coil mount on the studebaker, then a rod over the top of the engine to pull on the throttle on the carb.  There are provisions welded to the rod across the engine for the hand throttle cable to also pull. 
It hasn't stuck open, but there isn't much travel in the pedal. (hair trigger?) the linkage is hand built in 1/4" bar stock.

I too am looking for a better way so I can run a glass bowl holly 1904. I too have been eyeing a firewall mounted universal hot rod cable system.

Another interesting solution might be found in the linkage from something British. Designed right hand drive and pressed into left hand drive service. I remember seeing some nice, engine side firewall mounted linkages to get from one side of the car to the other.

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply