Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to title with no vin or title

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjazwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to title with no vin or title
    Posted: 05 June 2016 at 8:03am
So i bought a 46 cj2a (what i was told it was)( i was then told by some pictures i shared with friends that i may have a 48 tub but a 50s frame?)and was given a bill of sale. Took the bill of sale down to get title and the say its not valid(it had the acm # not setial number? And they questioned it becouse of length). So my issue is the only numbers that are on the tub or frame is the acm #? The numbers that are on the gusset on the toe board. The are no numbers on tailgate and no numbers on frame. I bought a rolling frame and tub so i also have no engine numbers. So here in Arizona i am told i may have to register as a 2016 which means i need all the emissions equipment and pass emissions of a 2016 vehicle, or i make it off road use only. I need some major help anyone have experiance or some pointers?
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 11:41am
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Boxbirder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbirder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 4:42pm
This is what I did for my FJ40 and VW Micro Bus simple to do.  

Edited by Boxbirder - 05 June 2016 at 4:44pm
strublewd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strublewd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 5:12pm
According to the Vermont DMV website "Vermont titles only vehicles that are 15 years old or newer based on calendar year". It looks like it won't work for a CJ-2A.  Am I missing something?
Bill
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 5:20pm
how about trying for a salvage title. http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/salvaged-vehicles.php
Life is only as good as you make it.
Asjazwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjazwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 6:46pm
If i do a salvage they will register it as a 2016. If i have them make me a new vin they will register it as a new build for 2016. Buying used plates may work.
"Grizz"
Boxbirder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbirder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 7:14pm
I wasn't aware of the 15 years I had my buddy who's a resident in VT do it for me. OOPs
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 8:42pm
Nobody mentioned that the number may be from the engine?
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Asjazwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjazwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 8:47pm
I do not have the engine or transmission all I have is tub frame and Axel's I got all as a rolling project but maybe looking at a cj2a tub on a CJ5 frame
"Grizz"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 10:24pm
Photos would sure help

Does the frame have a front cross member shaped like a hat welded to a flat sheet of steel? Does the frame stick about 2.5" out the back of the tub? Does the transmission cross member bolt flat to the bottom of the frame rails? and are their reinforcing straps on the inside of the frame in the area of the tranny cross member and clutch mounting points?

If so you have a CJ5 frame and an 81" wheel base. You will need to know that the suspension is also most likely CJ5 (different springs and such)
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Asjazwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjazwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 10:35pm
Yes to all of the above. But not sure about trans mounting didnt come with that either.
"Grizz"
Asjazwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjazwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 11:21pm
Will have to clean up axles to identify them
"Grizz"
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 12:20am
My daughter is considering ASU, so we visited Tempe several weeks ago - long story short is, found a cool old guy in NM that had a CJ3A, with a title. I almost offered him a couple hundred for the jeep. No motor, tub is a rust bomb, no hood or fenders, frame may be alright and I bought his only 16" rim off the car. But, it has ID plates & title and he will sell. I could get his contact if you wanted. He's got a few dozen old cars laying around and he's right off I-30, I saw his cars as I drove by and had to turn back a couple miles down th highway.
1946 CJ2A #75375
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 1:10pm
Every state is different for titles. Modern cars have 17 didget vin, but 2a only has 5or6
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
elawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 4:48am
Call the AZ MVD (I think the number is 602-255-7011) and ask about the process for a bonded salvage title. 

My guess is that you will need to get a level 2 and level 3 inspection, where they will agree it's only good for salvage title, and then they will go over it with a fine tooth comb to look for every number they can find.  I think this is $50. 

If I recall correctly, it wasn't until 1981 that VINs were standardized, so the older vehicles can have all sorts of weird, strange, and unusual numbers.  My CJ3A has a 5 digit number preceded by CJ3A on the VIN tag and just the (same) five digit number on the frame and the last four digits of that same number on the body.

Anyway, they might find the serial number on the frame...or not.  The vehicle's current value, I sure, plays into how diligent they might be in their search. :-)

As for "what is the model year of the vehicle", my guess (I say that a lot) is that the level 3 inspector will get to decide that.

For what it's worth, you'll be doing a "reconstructed" vehicle because it will look (I hope) like a Willys CJ2A. 

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/spcns/spcns.htm   Is an interesting piece as it is from California, where they are strict about smog stuff.  This shows California allows the smog requirements to be based on the engine installed in the vehicle (or sometimes, the vehicle year of manufacture).   I can't imagine that Arizona would be more strict than California...but I have been surprised many times. :-)
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

My daughter is considering ASU, so we visited Tempe several weeks ago - long story short is, found a cool old guy in NM that had a CJ3A, with a title. I almost offered him a couple hundred for the jeep. No motor, tub is a rust bomb, no hood or fenders, frame may be alright and I bought his only 16" rim off the car. But, it has ID plates & title and he will sell. I could get his contact if you wanted. He's got a few dozen old cars laying around and he's right off I-30, I saw his cars as I drove by and had to turn back a couple miles down th highway.

I could use a 3a title. Will PM you to see what can be done.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
elawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 5:04am
I forgot.  From what I can tell, a reconstructed vehicle and a specially constructed vehicle are "kind of sort of the same".  The difference is what the finished product looks like.

Both are built from parts from other vehicles and/or new parts.

The specially constructed vehicle doesn't look like anything a manufacturer made...think the tubular extreme super hard core rock crawlers.

The reconstructed vehicle looks like the manufactured vehicle it is trying to look like.  In your case, a CJ2A. 

Eric
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 5:49am
I'm sure glad when I brought my Jeep into California I was kinda ignorant about "title" since here in Alberta we just don't have such a thang...
But when I brought it into a SoCal Highway Patrol station for inspection, he got kids full of himself when I told him that there was only the two plate on the firewall. He was well informed enough to determine that there should be a left front frame/body plate located there.After painting the frame all nice a few months earlier, he proceeded to attack the area with some sort of chisel.
Yup ! I know all about these Jeeps.....My ACM number wasn't stamped on the tailgate either. But - he tried to find it too.

For all someone's trouble - he pasted a sticker with a CALI DMV number sticker and plastered it underneath the passenger seat on the outboard vertical side of the frame - and then spray painted it black. He wouldn't tell me where it was, but I found it :-)

Must have been ok...they sent me a TITLE :-)
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>