Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 51>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 11:56pm
Tunnel is done. What remained of the stock tunnel was tweaked far more than i thought. Again, with the broken frame and weak body, I think this tub was slamming into the drivetrain. I'm finding odd dents and bumps in weird places. Anyway - to be expected after 70+ years! Saved the PTO cover and flange. It was 50/50 as to whether it was going to survive. 

The re-pop tool box arrived. It's going to take a lot of re-working to get it in. It's close, but not close enough. 

I removed the rear floor. I seriously considered trying to save it. But it's not worth it. Not for this rig anyway. I have a local sheetmetal joint bending up a panel for me. It won't be much like stock. But it will have few beads rolled in for strength. He's only charging me $60. Yes.....$60. I was shocked when he gave me the price. 

Also added a brace to the passenger fender wheel. The stock spare tire brace was torn up due to the former big tires grabbing it. I won't be running a spare on the side and i didn't want to run into the same issue. So I used a driver side brace on the passenger side. Modified it a bit so i could capture all the spot weld holes from the other style brace. 

Getting excited! Still much to do. But the major stuff is really coming together. My goal is to be in paint the end of April

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 11:58pm
challenge accepted....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 12:54am
looking good man!
Thumbs Up
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 3:48am
Days like today it should be against the rules to post any photo of a heated workspace, lol.  
(Looks great, A!) 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 4:03am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Days like today it should be against the rules to post any photo of a heated workspace, lol.  
(Looks great, A!) 

I figured out the shop (garage) heater works better if I don't let the kerosene run out!  Ermm
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 11:31am
Ha! I'm getting dangerously close to being out of propane. I may not be heated much longer. Need to call my propane man! 

Today is a rescue mission. Got to bundle up. I'm off to snatch an 55-ish CJ5. No idea why i need this. Wife will not be amused. I have no more room. But that's not enough reason enough to stop me....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by pilot195 pilot195 wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

(Looks great, A!) 

I figured out the shop (garage) heater works better if I don't let the kerosene run out!  Ermm

I've been saying that for three winters now. I will be out of propane today as well. But, if the little woman is looking for something to do today, I'm sending her out to get a 20lb refill. Been in the barn all week (what happened to spring) and freezing the nads off. nofender, I'm trying to get done before you. I see this as a personal challenge now. Final push to see if I can get it to Butler. Having problems with the tranny and transfer case not engaging the motor. May be the Saturn overdrive................not sure yet.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 12:07am
Miraculously.....i still have propane. My wife is away this weekend, and I didn't have to do much work work to do. So, I spent a full day in the shop. 

I picked up my panel from the sheetmetal shop. Pretty pleased with what they whipped up for cheap money. Not a stock copy. But for this Jeep, perfectly fine. They are making up hat channel for me next.

Anyway, I went over the whole tub and completed any spot welds I may have missed. I discovered some more rust in the wheel house corners. So i cut that out and made some patches. In hind sight, I probably should have replaced the rear panel under the tailgate. It's stretched and thin. It was folded up pretty bad. But I got it pretty straight. 

There was a mystery hole in the fire wall. It had a bubba fab cover plate. It looks like someone made an access panel for something. I think i may have been for the throttle bracket bolted to the back of the block. I would have kept it of it wasn't so poorly done. 

Lots done today. I even started mocking in the tool box. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 12:19am
toolbox.....ah the toolbox. I knew this repop part was a mess. It was bent and twisted when I got it. Had to stand on it a couple times and apply the fat guy power to it. I got the twist out. So far i had to take a half inch out of it. The mounting pads underneath weren't even close. I've got it fitting pretty well. Tomorrow, I'll have to weld the mounting flange back on and burn her home....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 1:12am
That rear floor looks really good,nice work on the front floor also,you're doing nice work,keep the picture coming.     

Giles
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

That rear floor looks really good,nice work on the front floor also,you're doing nice work,keep the picture coming.     

Giles

Thank you sir. 

My goal is to get the tool box in tomorrow and finally cut out the bracing i added. It's been a real pain to work around that. Also, the driver wheel well - i'm going to cut out the top bracket. The metal under it is rusty and ugly. That really should the last of the major repairs. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 6:05pm
Looks real good, fat guy power is my favorite tool I use it all the time. I was considering using a section of a van roof for a rear floor, they have nice ribs made right in, change in plans though.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 7:02pm
There may come a day you wished you had just made a pretty, factory looking cover of some kind.....was probably put there by someone accessing the throttle linkage bolts.  Pretty handy to have if you aren't doing a 'restoration'. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 12:10am
Thanks for the comments gents. 

Well today was a big day. I repaired the driver wheel well. I'll need to whip up a baffle for underneath. I drilled drain holes on both sides to keep the water from collecting in the top holder.

Bigger news is the tool box. It took quite a bit of work. I had to section it by a half inch. Then I had to modify/pie cut a portion of the side to match the non factory floor contour. It took a few hours to get it ready to install. I was close to opening the garage door and whipping it out into the driveway. But in teh end I stuck with it. I have to say, it was an extremely poorly made piece. The metal is nice. But all the bits are in all the wrong places. I even had to relief cut the brace underneath in order to square it up. Way too much work for a part that's not exactly cheap. 

Enough bitching tho! I had to throw some primer at it, just to get a feeling. I'm pumped! it came out much better than i expected. Can't wait to get it in paint. Hell, i'll be happy with one color of primer! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 12:12am
and with a little primer....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:18am
My dad cut a throttle linkage access hole in the firewall as well. He was a Sheet Metal Man (now they call them HVAC) so it wasn't to bad but I am sure he did it upside down under the dash. I had the advantage of a really nice Bosch nibbler and standing in front of the firewall. SO I cleaned it up into a real nice rounded corner rectangle and made a Micarta Plug for it that will be secured with some screws threaded into a matching plug on the other side.

Looks like you and I are real close as far as progress goes though my tub is structured very different then stock now. Hope you make good progress. Our construction season is getting cranked up so my Willys time is about to be very limited.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 1:00pm
nofender your getting closer to completion and its coming out great. Soon you will be painting and assembling. I gotta getty going, to finish mine up. Maybe we can hit the hills out here in western Mass.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 10:30pm
Had a little time to kill. 

Did a some mock up and cleaned up the tags. 

Way premature - but i couldn't help myself. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 51>