Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:19am
Tom, Tim, Mike, Katie, Stephen, Fred, Tiny, Joe, Lew? and anybody else from these parts or who might be passing thru here on the way to BHR - or whose territory we may be passing through -  let's compare notes and see if we can put together a convoy.
  I hadn't given a lot of thought to when I will drive up or to my route as yet, but I was kinda thinkin' on making the trip on Sunday, the 18th. I'm flexible, though.  
  This could turn out to be an event in itself!     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:26am
Hey BW,  I plan to leave early the 18th too.  But...I may be the weak link in the chain.  Can't go too fast with my set up.  60-65 on I-25, but if I jump on 85 with the bigger hills, I slow way down.  But I like the way you're thinking!  If you can land on a plan, I can bat cleanup and then fall off as you all disappear into the sunset.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:43am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Hey BW,  I plan to leave early the 18th too.  But...I may be the weak link in the chain.  Can't go too fast with my set up.  60-65 on I-25, but if I jump on 85 with the bigger hills, I slow way down.  But I like the way you're thinking!  If you can land on a plan, I can bat cleanup and then fall off as you all disappear into the sunset.

Nope. That's not the way it works. We'll put you on point, so we can all stay together. We don't run off and leave anybody behind.   BW

Edited by Bruce W - 24 May 2017 at 4:45am

gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Hey Hawk!

When are you planning on being at the BHR? Just curious as I saw you were going solo. I'll be in Boston on 22nd and 23rd. I may try to work on a side schedule!!!!!!

Tumbleweed

C'mon George! We'll find a place for you! I'd hate to be the only Texan in a sea of Yankees, lol!
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:56am
" A sea of Yankees". LOLLOL. Gary, the war is over .  We're making Jeeping great again!

Tom, you won't be disappointed about not wrecking your steps on rocks. 

It's a little muddy here at the moment, but as soon as the sun has a chance to dry things I'll run a few trails to decide the route of the last couple of trails. Even I haven't done these, so this year will be mostly new trails. A bit more challenging too! Rick R is going with. I think you all will be a bit surprised at these trails. The last three years were just to soften you up.  Wink

Our main goal is to enjoy our Jeeps, and have a great time Jeeping together. Most of us grew up Jeeping back in the past when car seats for children weren't standard. Drinking age here was 18 if you could find someone that old. Embarrassed  The Jeep trail rules were: open if you could physically drive them. This years trails remind me very much of my highschool days in a '48 CJ2A. My first car. I have returned to my youth. It feels good.  Our backwoods sportscars are admired and coveted by just about any folks we encounter. They smile and wave, and even recount their own youth. I've been laughed at for owning a "Old Junker",  give them a ride, and the laugh changes to "How much does one of these cost, and where can I find one?"

Soon, very soon! Time for fun. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:19pm
Bruce, I'm in!  Just work out a route and I'll be there.
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:40pm
Hey Gary,
That's a good one! I'm trying to come up with a plan.......I'm going to get my sign ready anyway:

"Will work for Jeep Ride"

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:56pm
Hey Gary, You won't be the only Texan on the run this year. My brother-in-law is coming up from Bastrop. He was here for it last year and is now hooked on the good times we had!
RWILLYS (Space R)
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:07pm
Bruce,
Ginny and I will be going on the 18th--I think-- the boss makes the decisions!
Terry
BOULDER 48 2A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:36pm
Hey Bruce, We're planning on going north on the 18th too.  Would love to be part of the convoy.   I'm partial to catching 85 just out of Laramie, but would be willing to stay on 25 up to 18 and follow that to Lusk, then go north on 85.   Maybe some of us could gather up around Lafayette, then meet up with others in Laramie before heading farther north. 

If we're all packing radios it should be easy to connect with each other once we decide what exits we'll use for our link-up points.  I suppose being all on the same frequency would be a help too.  I agree that we should put Tom in the lead so we stay together as a group.  There's comfort and help when travelling in a group.  I seem to recall a solo trip with a catastrophic failure up in that north country.  Sure would have been nice to have others around to make fun of me.  And possibly help out when needed.  Not that anyone's going to need help, but the radio conversations help to pass the miles a bit quicker. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:41pm
It sounds like a fun trip.
Just be sure that everybody knows how to use the radio. I've been on a few where people would keep calling me and ask why I didn't respond. I had responded and at the next stop I showed them the squelch knob and how to adjust it
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:02pm
Mike, you must be thinking of Cheyenne, rather than Laramie. If I was by myself, I would probably go thru Briggsdale, Hereford, Carpenter and Burns, on up to Torrington and beyond on 85. That would work good for me and Katie, but not so for many others. Cheyenne, then on up I25 to Hwy 26 or 18 to Lusk may be a good bet, but we could take 85 from just North of Cheyenne to Torrington and then to Lusk. Less interstate in the latter, might be better for a slow group, but then, it's a lot of 2-lane and faster traffic may have trouble getting past the group. Google Maps shows the 4 routes I checked all at roughly the same amount of time, with the Torrington route being shorter by 7-18 miles.
  Who's the farthest - Mike and Nancy? Maybe the rest of us should make our schedule fit theirs, and all meet at one location - Cheyenne? (20 miles out of the way for me and Kate) Fort Collins? (Worse) I think one meeting place would be better than several along the way. Several stops would take time, but if folks could be ready to go and fall in line as Mike & Nancy go by, it would work well, I think. One thing that will help, we can keep in touch via cel phone until we all get within radio range.
  Mike, can you program my new Baofeng for me? 
BW

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:18pm
I do love a good convoy! Sadly I'm the only rig running in from Idaho.. I'll be running Quick, Slick and Solo!!

I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

I do love a good convoy! Sadly I'm the only rig running in from Idaho.. I'll be running Quick, Slick and Solo!!

Same here from the east!, any bets on when they start the annual road work report between Denver and Whitewood!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:41pm
Ok, the mom in me is putting out a reminder for everyone to order their trail permit stickers, book a room at the Iron Horse if you need it, remove steps and anything side mounted, ummmm, I think that's the big stuff. Anything else?

I've sprung a leak in my radiator -- well the jeep's radiator -- Mike, ok to use a 'stop leak' product? 

I'm getting excited!!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:56pm
Kate, a seep or small leak , buy a bottle of  Bars Leak. If it's a visable squirt-------radiator shop time!

As to your route my friends, I always take hwy 34 just north of Laramie over to just south of Wheatland. Then up to Orin Junction on I 25, east to Lusk, then 85 all the way to Deadwood and over the hill to  Crook  City Road.  

Wheatland is a good place to meet.  Buy your Diesel at the  Cenex station. The others are all rip offs. They have a great Arby's there. Plenty of room. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Same here from the east!, any bets on when they start the annual road work report between Denver and Whitewood!

Lee

Lee there are only two seasons now. This years road construction. Next years road construction. Clown

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Kate, a seep or small leak , buy a bottle of  Bars Leak. If it's a visable squirt-------radiator shop time!

As to your route my friends, I always take hwy 34 just north of Laramie over to just south of Wheatland. Then up to Orin Junction on I 25, east to Lusk, then 85 all the way to Deadwood and over the hill to  Crook  City Road.  

Wheatland is a good place to meet.  Buy your Diesel at the  Cenex station. The others are all rip offs. They have a great Arby's there. Plenty of room. 

It takes a average of 4 hours to get from Camp Oilly to Orin Junction! Then 2.5 -3 hours to downtown Denver.  10 hours from camp Oilly to The TDR!  Traffic is paramount to time. What channel are you running by the way. If I go to the top of Terry Peak, maybe I can hear you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 36>