Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 6:41pm
Thx for keeping us updated Lee.  Good videos!  Tell Jeff C. that split personality looks really good with those skinny sneakers!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 10:33pm
X2 Sir Leemiester   Sure do miss the group!  Cry
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:28am
Miss you also Chuck, we're here living the dream .... I'm a little dissapointed, my IPad has not been working correctly and I lost some video yesterday and a bunch of cool photos today .... Today we ran the other "Skinny Trail", it was awesome!, it started out with a narrow wooden bridge, the narrow part was not an issue so much as the center of the deck was raised like 3" and the width of the Dana 25 with stock tires made it want to run to the right or the left but not down the middle, those who ran to the left found that the top bow brackets on the 2A would rub making them steer to the right, the tires would slide not wanting to climb over, then all at once would throw them to the right and into the rail, you will see this in the video, the Jeeps running a Dana 30 did not have this issue. Not a big deal. The following trail had much to offer, and was a beautiful drive and very challenging in spots, rocks had to be piled in a couple areas to allow passage. It was one of my favorites!. Sorry no video or photos after the bridge but others will most likely post when time permits!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 12:32am
Today was a success. We had 30 Jeeps strung out 2-3 miles depending on the road. Try that some time. The magic was to move all without radios to the front. Position a man with a powerful radio in the middle. Then two more in the back. A drivers meeting explained the rules which included all to stay in sight of the front and rear Jeep. If a need occured, the message was passed forward and the front man would stop and wait for the group. Potty stops occured where possible and frequent group tightening for better radio reception really helped. So, if you want to have your own Jeep meet, remember this. JohnWink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 3:09am
A shout out to the BHR host!  I saw Joe Friday today at the MVPA convention in Cleveland.  We agreed that we are missing some seriously fun sounding stuff in SD this week.  Cry
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 4:45am
Thanks for the kind comment! I love to see their smiles and approval. We definitely did the skinny stuff. All admitted "man was that tight". Interestingly, the rough rock part we traversed on a hillside was at least 5 inches deeper between rocks then last September. Had to stack some rocks so we lost 5 points with Jpet and Stan-----LOL. I think most felt achievement when they reached safe ground on the other side. Good job I say to the group.

Tomorrow is Lost Gulch and over Bear Den Mountain to Galena Creek. Another challenging trail for most. The Jeep is such a amazing capable little machine. Thumbs Up 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:44am
OK here's my GoPro video of the rocks we encountered today with the big group. It was a fun trail today with great people.
 Jpet and I snuck away after our return in order to find some other rocks. Might take us a while longer to figure out those videos. Hope you can hear the sound. I am lying in my tent while rain is blasting down and thunder is crashing all around so I can`t hear the video at all. Weather was great today but it's keeping me awake now (12:15).

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 3:35pm
Cell service is not great, so video will have to wait, but here are some hi-lites from Grandpa's Jeep and BAM BAM on the Camp 5 rod creek bottom:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 7:51pm
man, that looks fun!  I'm trying not to be jealous here in this 103 deg heat...but it's hard! Wishing I was there. Cry
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:21am
That's all I can stand, I can't stands no more!!  So Bill and I went for a rip today and found a new trail! You guy's are doing good though!Smile
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

man, that looks fun!  I'm trying not to be jealous here in this 103 deg heat...but it's hard! Wishing I was there. Cry

Rick, it was kinda cool here today, a sweatshirt felt good ..... some awesome trails again today with a rock crawling and hill climb.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 4:49am
!!!!good times!!!!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 8:55am
Looks a whole lot like the Rubicon !

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:27pm
Today is the last day of the BHR. We are going back to Spearfish Canyon and climbing up Squaw Creek to the canyon rim on a rocky beautiful Jeep trail to the old town of Carbonate. There we will view the remains of the ghost town Carbonate camp, and the still existing cemetery. It's hard to believe that so much was there where little remains. The Galena cemetery we visited yesterday had many children's graves. Very sad when you think of all those lives that never were able to run the course of what we consider normal. Whole families at times. Our Doctor Jeeper said: if you want proof as to why vaccinations are needed today, go look in old cemeteries. A abundance of trails up there makes the ride a bit confusing. We have that handled with the help of other local fellows who for many years hunted the area. Thumbs Up We will have lunch, chat with each other , and then Jeep down to a gulch that leads us toward Central City between Deadwood and Lead. From there---------------we have group reservations at the Broken Boot Gold Mine. We will pan out some nuggets and pay for the entire weeks expenses. LOL

Some of our friends are headed home today, so the ending of this meet is beginning. It's been huge this year and my head is spinning trying to keep up. Wow. I'll have to rest up a few days. John
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:03pm
Stan and Jeff rock!  err, Stan and Jeff are off their rock..ers!

John, if you plan on a BHR '18 then I will be there!  You folks had some high quality fun.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 8:01am
Lori and I would like to thank John and Carol for an awesome week of jeeping. You two never cease to amaze me with your hospitality, generosity and commitment to making sure everyone has a good time. To top off a week of exciting trail riding we had a bit of excitement on our way home today. We had a blow out at 75 mph on I 90. In the process of getting started in repairs I left the RV door open. Next thing I hear is an 18 wheeler horn and Lori yelling Izzy is on the highway. She ran across I90 and was nearly hit by the 18 wheeler. All ended well I was able to drive up on some blocks with the inner tire and remove the flat outer and mount the spare. Always something. Thanks again John and Carol. 

Edited by Red Willy - 25 June 2017 at 5:25pm
Glen
49 CJ3A
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:49pm
whew-- my heart stopped for a moment there, as yours must have. Glad all are safe. Red Willy strikes again!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 3:47pm
Damn, Glen...that sounds like everyone's worst nightmare!  Glad to hear Izzy is okay though.

I made it home about midnight last night - good trip, if a bit slow going.  John and Carol, can't thank you enough for the fantastic trail rides and the superb camping facilities you provided.  I'll give you a five star rating in the "Michelin Guide to camping and trail riding"! 
You guys are the best, thanks for everything!
--Tom and Annie

BTW Tumbleweed...You may be happy to know that Annie stole a piece of jerky right out of Muley's hand.  So it isn't just that Sparky pegged you as an easy mark when he stole your Gouda...a lot of training goes into this behavior!  WinkLOL

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 24 June 2017 at 4:36pm
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 36>