Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L134 engine parts interchange-Bad/Good News

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L134 engine parts interchange-Bad/Good News
    Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 1:18am
Decided to start a new topic since the plans have taken a 180.  Thanks for all the help in the earlier post.  http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/re-jeep-cj2a-l134-engine-interchange_topic39097.html ;
First the bad news: I started getting the HJ L134 ready for disassembly and immediately noticed that there is a major break in the wall of #4 bore.  Looks like the block will only be useful for a anchor now.  The WILLYS '48 block is not fractured (so far as I know) but has major pitting in the cylinders.  I've got to have it evaluated to see if it can be bored and/or sleeved.  What I thought was going to be a spare engine is only going to be a parts donor.  The good news is I will now have a supply of extra parts to choose from.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 2:39am
Sorry to hear that. The good news is, you still have that nice supersonic head at 7:1 compression with the extra ribs between the spark plug holes. You do not see those very often.
willys jeep
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 3:55am
Anyone want to value a Kaiser SS head vs a GPW head?  Which is more desirable?  TKS
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by old stuff old stuff wrote:

Anyone want to value a Kaiser SS head vs a GPW head?  Which is more desirable?  TKS

I'd say it depends on which one you have, and which one you need. Wink Overall, to make a WAG, I'd say about even. I have searched for both, bought both, and now that I have both, the value of both in my mind has decreased somewhat. LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2016 at 4:28pm
As a CJ2A guy the Suppersonic head is very cool.  To Ford Jeep guy how might needing a GPW head to complete a GPW   well name your price if you can find that guy looking for a specific mfg date.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 1:36am
Spent some time today cleaning up the WILLYS block.  It's not as bad as I first thought, might even be able to bore and sleeve it.  Oh well, it's only $$$ and a lot cheaper than the psycharist's fees for stress relief!!  Amazing how much satisfaction is to be had unsticking pistons and valves.
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 2:49am
Probably a "wild hair idea" but just wondering about welding up the break in the HJ SS block then boring and sleeve back to standard (or whatever the other three need)?  The break is about 3 inches each leg of a "U" shape and one inch wide about an inch below the top of the block.  Any thoughts?  Yea or nay?  TKS.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 3:59am
Hey oldstuff you hit on a topic I've been wondering about myself. Was reading a motor spec. sheet for the 134cu which stated " alloy iron "for the block metal composition. Does anyone know the actual metal composition of the block? Looks can be deceiving? I see where the cam shaft is a steel casting for example easily welded, grey cast iron tricky business!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 7:44am
Why weld it at all? A sleeve will fix that. Talk to your machine shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply