Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017 - Event Date: 19 July 2017 - 23 July 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017
    Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 4:34pm
Thanks Studewillys! Good radio info. !

Red Willy, 89 comes out at the huge cement plant just south of Laramie's city limits. You have to get off of 287 when in sight of the cement plant, jog back to the road in front of the plant and head south. That is 89. It has much better road ability, but slow down for the numerous cattle guards. Those can be a large bump. Make sure the cattle guards aren't armed------Wink  The road is not marked much with 89 signs. Mostly turns to lakes. Your motorhome would do much better on it. Way better than 80 c. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 11:18pm
I looked at that but not knowing what to expect I was afraid to try it. Now you have me thinking I can do it again next year Wink
Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 10:37pm
Glen, Oilly and I took Joe and Tiny's advice and went out via 89C(?). It was really not bad at all, and put us on 287 just South of the Laramie Chicken Coop.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 9:14pm
Glen, thanks for the reply. Really looked neat in the area you all were camped in. I'm sure that the nights were nice and cool.

Kind regards,
George
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 7:42pm
Tumblweed, you are seeing my 32' Class C motorhome. It makes it, but is a long rough ride due to every hill on 80C having severe washboarding. Some parts of 80C and 103 had bad ruts due to heavy rains, I didn't go out that way as I was afraid I would bottom out and tear off my leveling jacks. It took my over two hours to go the 32 miles from camp to 287.

I'm not sure if I will take it there again, I'm afraid it is going to vibrate the cabinets, doors, shelves etc. to the point of falling apart. The trails and good times are well worth the time just not sure it is worth the potential damage to the RV. 

Glen
Glen
49 CJ3A
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:16pm
I see a big camper in the first photo. Would a 30' class C be able to make it to the back country to camp?

Just asking since there may or may not be one in my driveway that may or may not have just been purchased. Wink
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:04pm
Picture commentary:

Camp BW where we pulled off 80C into the trees at 8900 feet

BW as he called for a drivers meeting. He said stay together, and let him know if we need a rest stop or have a hold up by radio. 7-9 Jeeps wasn't much of a problem. A relaxing bunch to Jeep with. He was going Jeeping, and if we wanted to, we could follow him. We did!!!!

One days lunch stop. We just left a open trail and found some shade. At the finish we had diet cookies. 

The last is of a ancient old tree behind camp, that died many years ago. The trees at that altitude were obviously growing in a harsh environment. I can't imagine how old this tree was before it died, or how many 100's of years it had been dead. Talk about old barn wood. The Spruces were sad. All eaten up of new growth by a bug of some sort. The Lodgpoles were on the average 50% dead standing trees. The main soil is ground up pink Granite. Very sandy and rocky. There was a large rock formation along 80C that I forgot to get a picture of , made up of solid granite. It had a smaller set of rocks making up the top. Between the upper and lower rocks was a flow or bleed that was orange in color that made it appear that it had bled out from under the top rocks and down the side of the larger base. I'd never seen anything like it. Very good meet Bruce, Thanks a bunch. Oilly
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 4:49pm
Thanks, Oilly and Rick! Clap   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 2:51pm
Fotos from Oilly..

Edited by RICKG - 31 July 2017 at 2:54pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 5:37pm
Thanks to everyone with the help they contributed when my truck was down, it was nice to know that my back was covered with such nice friends, have a new battery as the old one was shot, be something if I could do that with my system for another 100,000 miles, oh well, the alternator is charging good. Special thanks to icegrinder(Joe) for his generator to hook up Oilly's charger(thanks John), and I'm surely thankful to Maynard(Tiny) for having that Cadillac key in his possession. My "Brown Years" have been very interesting! Everything will be ready for FTC, see you there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 1:16pm
Glen will have it done no doubt. He gets things done. Thumbs Up
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 1:08am
Well good luck, Glen.  Let us know how it goes.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 12:54am
Tom, I ordered a crank and bearings before I tore it down. I had it out and apart Monday night after getting home from the run. Confirmed that it was rods and started cleaning up. Finalnparts delivery was yesterday and I started assembling today. Hope to have it in and running by Monday or Tuesday. Also have our FD fundraiser Carnival starting this week. Won't have much time to work on it. Wouldn't be a Jeep trip without a deadline and a little stress 😳
Glen
49 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 10:54pm
Jacquie sent this foto to post..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 10:40pm
I suppose if those bearings have the slightest excess play, it will all snowball pretty quick.  Do you have to do anything on the crank when rod bearings go south?  Or just r&r the bearings?
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 10:24pm
Tom, all rod bearings are shot, mains didn't look to bad. In the process of rebuilding now. Not sure of the cause. There doesn't appear to be a lack of lubrication and because I drove it two more days with it knocking it is hard to say if dirt got in the system or if the scoring is due to the bearings coming apart.
Glen
49 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 8:52pm
Not to diverge here too much, but quick question for Red Willy...what did the issue end up being re: the rod knock that you were having?  And what can/did you do to remedy?  I hope it wasn't TOO serious, Glen.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Jacquie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacquie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 3:24am
thank you muchly and will do :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>