Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017 - Event Date: 19 July 2017 - 23 July 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 2:25pm
Questions: how far past the upper Cherokee Park unit is this site from the old one on 80C? Does 80C come out to Woods Landing in Wyo?  Just wondering if it would be shorter for me from the  North to enter that way. I'll Google earth things also. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 6:14pm
I'don't really know how far the new site is from the old one (edit: It's almost 9 miles, as the crow flies), but it is pretty near (less than a mile, I think) to where we came out to 80C from where Rudy lost his phone.
  80C does not come out at Woods Landing, but it intersects with the Laramie River Road (10 in Wyoming, 103 in Colorado) that does. The intersection of 103 and 80C is only a few miles (9-1/2 as the crow flies) of dirt from the campsite. That's probably the best bet for you, Oilly, and maybe some others as well. 
  There's also a road that comes in from Tie Siding on 287 in Wyoming and intersects with 80C a little East of the new campsite, but that's all dirt. Google Maps actually wants me to go that way. I have thought about going up Hiway 14 through the Poudre Canyon to Chambers Reservoir then North up the Laramie River Road to 80C, but that needs more study.

Another thing that I just noticed, is the possibility of taking a day and run the Green Ridge Trail. We might run it from North to South, and return to camp by running 103 to 80C and back to camp. I've never been on the Green Ridge Trail, and I've heard everything from "piece of cake" to "you don't want to try that". I would welcome advice from anyone who's been there, and is familiar with the capabilities of our stock flatfenders.

BOOGITY!BOOGITY!BOOGITY!! LET'S GO JEEPIN', FOLKS!!  We have miles to jeep, before we sleep.    BW

Edited by Bruce W - 17 Feb. 2017 at 6:16pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 7:46pm
Looks like Wyo. 10 leaves just south of Woods Landing. Then it turns into Colo. 103 and goes down past a dude ranch and intersects with 80C. I found  Eaton Reservoir, regular Google Earth had working Lat. and Long. I found the spot.  

Just put some Jeep parts out by the turn and YEP I'll find ya. Wink Oilly   

( Looks like we can literally circle the wagons eh?)

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 17 Feb. 2017 at 8:01pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 2:06am
Embarrassed Ohhh, that's right, Oilly wasn't there last year! Sorry about that, chief! 
  The intersection of Wyo 230 and 10, IS Woods Landing. Smile
  I did some checking today, and I think we will do Green Ridge one day. Thumbs Up  The trail book I have rates trails "Easy", "Moderate", and "Difficult", with this one being "difficult". The book also says "No major obstacles but many deep mud holes and much embedded, bone-jarring rock. Not for stock SUV's......Winch recommended." Sounds like fun to me! Clap    BW

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 3:05am
I suppose it depends on when you do Green Ridge. I have had a couple people tell me that it was the worst trail they have ever done and others wondered why it has that reputation. I've driven part of it and it wasn't that tough but I ran out of time and had to turn around so perhaps I missed the tough parts.
uncamonkey
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 9:10pm
For those who have not been there, and want directions on the ground, here they are.  If you are coming from the east, from Hwy 287 on 80C, also known as the Cherokee Park road and Sand Creek Road, it is 33.5 miles from 287 to the campsite.  First you will come to the first intersection of 96B and 80C.  Continue west on 80C for almost 2 miles and you will hit the second intersection of 80C and 96B.  About 1/4 mile west of that intersection there is a large meadow on the north side of 80C.  That is where our camp will be. 

If you are coming from the east I recommend that you take CO 14 up toward Cameron Pass.  Just before the pass there is a turn off to Chambers Lake.  That is County 103.  Follow 103 north until you find 80C, then turn east on 80C.  It's a little bit longer route than going straight west on 80C from 287, but it's much better road the whole way.  And it's a nice drive up Poudre Canyon.

If you are coming from the west, either follow 14 from Walden to Chambers lake and go north on 103, or from Woods Landing, WY go south on WY-10.  It will become 103 at the CO line.  From the intersection of County Road 103 and 80C, go east about 11.5 miles and watch for the meadow on the left with a two-track trail going through it.  That is where our camp will be. 

If you look on Mapquest use the address 35350 Sand Creek Rd, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, and it will take you right to the turn into the meadow where we'll camp.

Edited by m38mike - 24 Feb. 2017 at 7:39pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 10:06pm
Huge help, thanks Mike!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 12:18am
Thanks Mike! If you come over 80 C from the east, the first few miles of it are heavily mag watered. I happend to watch the watering/mag truck turn off of it just as I got there. That is some nasty stuff. That 11 miles from the west is a winner with me coming from the North.  Beautiful country and I'm ready to try this Green Mtn. trail.  Beer Oilly
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I suppose it depends on when you do Green Ridge. I have had a couple people tell me that it was the worst trail they have ever done and others wondered why it has that reputation. I've driven part of it and it wasn't that tough but I ran out of time and had to turn around so perhaps I missed the tough parts.

Come on up and run it with us, Unk!  BW

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:18am
We're going to come into the site from the west.  We'll come up to Walden, then go up into WY, then drop south on County 103 to connect with the west end of 80C.  I plugged the location into Google Maps and found out that Google maps does NOT recognize the first 1.5 miles of the west end of 80C.  I sent them a complaint about that.  They replied with a thank you for helping to make GM a better program.  They didn't say when they would fix their map software. 

When I used the 35350 address in Google maps, it tied me to the west end of a long range of remote addresses that include the 35350 address.  So it does NOT pinpoint the location like Mapquest does.

But we're planning on being up there probably on Tuesday of that week.  Hoping for good weather for the whole week.  But we'll be prepared for anything nature turns our way.  I don't know who else is planning to show up early but we look forward to getting some new trails under our tires.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 3:19am
Mike, you could short-cut from King's Canyon, thru Old Roach to Honholts Lakes and hit 103 there. Big smile  BW

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:45pm
Yes I could but I want to show Nancy where I fought fire last summer up on the Wyoming border.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 5:12pm
Mike you're like Brett - when we went to England what did we stop to see?  Every fire station in every town we went through.  Memorable ...

Bruce I just realized I hadn't RSVP'd, but of course I'll be there.  Looking forward to it!  I'm sure you guys can get me out of whatever you get me into.  Thumbs Up
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 1:59am
Bruce, I don't know according to goggle earth it's 184 miles and 3-1/2 hrs to get to your planned camp site. If you can't find anything closer I'll have to drive 184 miles to get there, so I will see you there.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 2:25am
Sorry Grumpy, I tried to get as close to you as possible, but I had to keep it in Colorado!Wink  BW

Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 4:54pm
Looks like I'll be able to make this one this year. Clap
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Joe IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 6:56pm
Hello All,

Lisa and I plan on showing up again this year. We had a lot of fun last year and we are anxious to do it again. I haven't decided yet when we will be showing up, but we'll be there.

Joe
1948 CJ2A "Norm"
1967 M715 "Buttugly"
2014 Ram 3500
2019Jeep Grand Cherokee

Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 10:03pm
Bruce, doesn't sound like Lori wants to come this year, something about too many Jeep trips and not enough vacation time. I am looking at coming out on my own, will let you know when a decision is made.
Glen
49 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>