Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch control tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 1:24pm
I was going to chime in yesterday and say that the chinese or indian metal in these parts is probably too soft. They don't seem to harden parts like they should. So between that and the pull all being from one side, it was only a matter of time until it bent.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 3:27pm
Thanks everybody for the input on the rod.I'm going to put a yoke and clevis.I love this forum it's just going to make my jeep that much better.

Thanks again

Giles
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 1:30am
Got side track due to major ice storm and no power for 2 days.I had a chance tonight to finish my clutch rod with a yoke and clevis pins.I installed the rod and it works perfect. Thanks again.

Giles
BIG JOHN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BIG JOHN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 2:43am
I'm wanting to do this same modification. Just curious...where did you find the threaded rod section?  I know the yoke and clevis pin can be purchased pretty much everywhere but I'm only finding the fully threaded rod.
BIG JOHN
1947 CJ-2A
1946 Bantam T3C trailer
2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 CC
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2004 Jeep LJ
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 12:44pm
John , I had to make my own thread , I used rod stock and threaded 5/16 fine thread.

Giles
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 11:57pm
This is what needs to be said regarding the foreign stuff. There are many parts on a vehicle which need some level of hardening. Anything with leverage, for example, needs the extra strength. It's not just some piece of metal that you weld a couple tabs on and send off. Even something as simple as this part is engineered- at least OEM is.

Could you imagine what would happen if clutch forks were not forged? The forces and leverage would bend them in the first push of the clutch pedal.

I virtually never buy the foreign stuff. Only NOS and take off parts or maybe something a vendor makes on site such as Midwest Military does. And I'm also cautious about buying a finished product from anybody in the states who might have sourced their parts from overseas (such as a rebuilt tranny or TC)
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

.036" didn't make that much of a difference as the leverage caused by the non stock RodEnd used to connect the linkage. The force acting on the lever has been greatly increased by the off center force caused by the rod end IMHO

I'll agree with Mark to some extent, but - 
.036" is a 20% reduction in thickness. The lever is also obviously soft, to have bent like that under hand pressure. Even with the stock bent rod, wear would be greatly accelerated in the hole and on the rod both. Maybe, with the stock bent rod, it would not have bent like that, but I'm sure it wouldn't last long. This is typical of Omix-ADA "quality".   BW
IMHO Bruce W point about 20% decrease in metal thickness gets to the heart of the problem, when your the largest manufacturer of aftermarket jeep and auto, truck parts in the world that represents 20% savings in material, probably thought up by Chinese engineer with zero knowledge of their product, also min. concern about quality. The fact that most buyers can't tell just by looking at a part that's been "thinned" or properly heat treated we're being duped! Did I say IMHO. I agree with it's important to get the word out. Thanks Gil I'll reconsider buying a new control tube now. Joe Wadoyado
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 2:54am
Dragging up this old thread.

Since I have my gearboxes out trying to slow down some leaks, I thought I might do this clevis yoke and threaded rod modification 

.i went to 3 different hardware stores, Home Depot, and Traftor Supply and no one had yokes of any size. How about some direction on where and what to buy as far as clevis yokes please.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 3:41am
Order from McMaster-Carr?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 4:01am
  The cheapest I have found them was a outfit on ebay 'Cherokee truck equipment LLC'  4.30 plus 3.50 shipping.  Our neighbor hood Ace hardware store has the for around 20.00.
  If you search B27082AZKT cable clevis yoke on ebay you will find them in different sizes.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 6:06am
Stan, since you disconnected your e-brake you can use the yoke off the end of the cable.  That’s what I used for this modification.  I had a couple laying around from my spares.  If you don’t have any laying around, you need to start collecting more jeep parts!😉  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 2:34am
Yeah Stan, don't spend a couple bucks on individual parts, spend lots on whole Jeeps.  You'll get more parts at a time that way!  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12