Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Resurrection of CJ2-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 4:41am
I would never have thought of turning the photo upside-down to make the letters pop out.  Thanks for the tip, Jeff!  And yes, it is weird!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I would never have thought of turning the photo upside-down to make the letters pop out.  Thanks for the tip, Jeff!  And yes, it is weird!

I thought it was sunken in too. Took me for ever to see it wasn't either. I looked at the bottom part of the "P" and then it all pops out. ( For me at least)  Weird optical illusion!

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:26am
Good work Jeff! No one will know it isn't a original tailgate. No one could. There aren't any available from MD Juan------LOL. 

Fred, interesting how it retains the WW2 arms for the tie rods on the knuckles and the steering bellcrank is up on the frame already. I wonder if those arms are different from WW2 Jeeps.  If you decide to retain the aluminum knuckle type seal holders and need a set, I have two sets of them. 

Schwartz, or Sparton WW2 horn or later type CJ2A horn?

Seelite headlamps? If you need your seelites repaired, I have done two sets now. They work great. 

Keep it coming Fred, enjoying this, John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Fred, interesting how it retains the WW2 arms for the tie rods on the knuckles and the steering bellcrank is up on the frame already. I wonder if those arms are different from WW2 Jeeps.  If you decide to retain the aluminum knuckle type seal holders and need a set, I have two sets of them.

John:  The front axle installed and pictured is an early CJ-2A axle assembly.  But both it and the original front axle for the CJ-2 (which is long gone) use MA upper steering arms A-822 (right) and A-826 (left), not the MB steering arms A-1710 (right) and A-1712 (left). The front cross member mounted steering bell crank bracket, W.O. 640208, is new to the CJ-2 frame. I'll keep you in mind for the knuckle seal holders when I reach that point in the restoration.  I think I have a pair or two but haven't looked for them recently.

Schwartz or Sparton WW2 horn, or later type CJ2A horn?

The CJ-2 horn is the WW II MB horn A-1313, either a Sparton B-9427 or Schwarze Elec. Co. EL-3236. 

Seelite headlamps? If you need your Seelites repaired, I have done two sets now. They work great. 

I have been gathering GE #4031 6 volt 5" diameter military sealed beam headlights to use in CJ2-26, as they might be (??) marginally brighter than the WW II Seelites, of which I have a few pair.  This will be a trail jeep rather than a show jeep, so I'll occasionally substitute slightly more modern parts in place of a few absolutely correct original parts. For example, I'll have two rear civilian taillights with integral turn signals instead of just one left rear tail/brake light with a reflector on the opposite side rear panel. 

Keep it coming Fred, enjoying this, John

Will do!
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Duck001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 12:39pm
Hi, reading your interesting story and the engine you were looking for, I had to check my MB motor. I purchased a CJ2A a couple of years ago; a 47 with the MB engine. Someone must have re-engined this one some time ago. Serial # is MB494084. Runs very well but is idked as I get ready for a conplete frame off restoration.
I look forward to the rest of your journey!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 1:02am
Fred, I think of you and your smiling face often. Watching you use the heck out of your  Agri Jeep astounded me because of it's rareity. I was thinking of you in relation to the exotic Jags: 12  E type lightweights, worth millions being raced. 57  D Types being raced, worth millions. Now the cool thought: 3 Early known priceless CJ2's being trailed. You have them beat.  Only 3. LOLLOLLOL I think you are the winner.  I love to rub elbows with the rich and famous. They take a shower at my house all covered in trail dust. Eat doughnuts in Bune Vista!.  ( see me about Weimar's doughnuts in Sturgis )  I also want you to introduce me to this bar in Buffalo Wyo. sometime. See me about that too!  Carry on, Oilly
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 9:20pm
Fred, when you reach the determination on front floor pan replacement, I have a die here to replicate the passenger side indentation that was placed in conjunction with the hat channel to even the underside for the exhaust hanger bracket.
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Fred, when you reach the determination on front floor pan replacement, I have a die here to replicate the passenger side indentation that was placed in conjunction with the hat channel to even the underside for the exhaust hanger bracket.

Low:

Thank you for mentioning that.  I'll be in touch when we review the passenger side floor, which is particularly rough underneath the "rust containment box" Willys thoughtfully placed there.

The past few days I have been battling the tapered pin that holds the bell crank vertical shaft in place.  It is a replacement pin with the small ended threaded for a nut, lock washer and tapered wedge washer.  After removing those I put the nut back on to preserve the pin's threads.  At first I tried gently hammering on the nut to loosen the tapered pin, but it would not budge.  The next day I escalated my efforts by employing a small hydraulic jack to push it out: 

No dice.  It still did not budge even with the jack hydraulically locked after the pump handle would no longer move. So we heated the bracket with a cutting torch while keeping the jack in place.  Nothing moved.  So we got a bigger hammer; no help. Then we removed the drivers side front tire and added a big long punch to increase the arc and power of our swing.  No go.  Then we got a bigger sledge hammer and swung away.  The pin slowly began to imperceptibly move as we added heat, more Kroil, candle wax and many more swings. It is still in there after much exertion.  I'm now thinking of cutting off then drilling out the fat end to relief the stress on the pin and reduce its structural integrity, then swinging away some more.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Moving on to something more achievable, I removed the rivets from the destroyed upper gussets for the front bumper.  Rather than grind off the rivet heads with a small grinding wheel, I first tic-tac-toed them with a thin cutting wheel. Then I chiseled away the perimeter pieces. Finally I whacked the small standing center with a 4 lb. sledge until the rivet popped out the bottom of the hole.

The next task is to cut the welds along the sides of the upper gusset plates and knock them loose. I'll remove the front spring hangers and bottom gusset plates after turning the frame upside-down to get a clear shot at them, after the axles and springs are removed. 

My final small accomplishment was removing the frame tag. I flattened the heads of the drive rivets with a hand file, then drilled increasingly larger (but still very small) holes in the drive rivets until their heads spun off. The frame tag then dropped off into awaiting hands. This morning I cleaned off its paint with the wire wheel on my bench grinder, revealing the frame tag in all its naked and well-worn glory:

I'll paint in the letters before clear coating and installing it on the repaired and refinished frame. Smile   
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 12:15am
Fred, the pin on a Ford GPW is even worse to get out. It's right next to the axle tube and no room. What I had to do is drill all the way through the center of the wedged pin, thread it with a tap, put a thick spacer over the outside of the pin, then screw a bolt into the newly made threads until it contacted the spacer. It acted as a threaded puller. By drilling it, you also relieve the swedge pressure some. Drilling it dead center is the hard part. John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 3:02am
John:

Thanks for the suggestion to thread the hole drilled through the tapered pin and use a spacer and bolt as a puller to remove it.  Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 3:12am
Not sure it will be of any help in this instance but, I've had very good luck with using a 50-50 mixture of Acetone and ATF, to free rusted parts. 

Drilling that bugger out doesn't sound like much fun. I'd mix up some the home made penetrant and soak the top of the vertical shaft of the bell crank and the offending bolt for a day or two. Then I'd start tapping on the frame mounted bracket, the bolt and the top of the shaft. Then try some heat again. And all the while dowsing the parts with the mixture. 

Do be careful with the mixture and the flame wrench. It's not terrible but it will burn but, it flashes out pretty quickly. 

It's a slow, time consuming process that perhaps you do not want to waste the effort on. I, myself, would use the drill as a last resort......just because I hate drilling stuff like that. It certainly does work but, I find it tedious and nerve racking all the way up until the bit breaks off in the hole. That's just the way my luck runs.Ouch
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 4:25am
Fred, cut the head of a HT 1/2" UNF bolt, weld it to the protruding part of the big end of the pin , slip a pipe over it fit a hardened washer and pull the pin out through the pipe by doing the nut up.

Its a very direct way of getting a lot of weight on a small object.

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 11:09am
Fred - thanks for including the pictures...very helpful for me as I'm not there yet, but sue I'll be tackling the same issues!
Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 12:38pm
Thanks guys, fascinating thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

John:

Thanks for the suggestion to thread the hole drilled through the tapered pin and use a spacer and bolt as a puller to remove it.  Smile

You might also heat the boss just before you try and pull it with the threaded bolt. I think I just used a larger hex nut as the spacer that fit over the pin. Once you get it to initially move, you have won the battle. 

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 01 Apr. 2017 at 8:11pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

The only thing cooler than a two digit serial number is a ONE digit serial number!
And Fred has both. Awesome!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 4:28pm
Thanks for the many suggestions, guys.  A lot of good ideas have been put forth, giving me a choice of approaches to discuss with Lou, who wields the welder.  Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 4:49pm
Thanks, Stan.  For comparison here is the frame tag from CJ2-09:

As you can see, the first digit of its two digit serial number counts for naught. LOL 

Before placing them side-by-side, I had assumed these two frame tags would be identical. But thanks to your compliment, Stan, we just learned the frame tags are different between #9 and #26.  This means that even the frame tags are different between the first twenty CJ-2 AGRIJEEPS and the second twenty CJ-2 stamped "JEEP"s.

As is now apparent with #26 cleaned off, the fonts used for "JEEP" are different in shape and thickness of the letters; the "CJ-2" is pre-stamped on the frame tag for "26" when it was made vs. hand-stamped on the frame tag for "09" after it was made; and thicker bold letters are used for all the lower data on the tag for "09" than on the tag for "26".  Except for the information, there is no standardization between these two CJ-2 frame tags.  This restoration process continues to teach me new things.   Big smile

Edited by Fred Coldwell - 02 Apr. 2017 at 1:04pm
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>