Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild of J176350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:02pm
That is fantastic! You should most definitely buy a lottery ticket Smile
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:38pm
Mike, that is lucky indeed...roughly 30 miles if my conversion math is right. Nice little day trip...maybe you can get a factory tour to boot.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 8:29pm
I would get my arse over there, pronto, before that middle manager's boss finds out and puts the kaibash on the whole thing Wink

(...and x2 on the lottery ticket LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 3:31am
Agreed! Hurry up and get there before someone changes their mind!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:44pm
I just got  back from Roseburg with a replacement  block (a 300 mile drive) and dropped the block off at the machine shop. Crossing my fingers that this time things go a little  better. Seller claims it's standard bore,  but we'll see. It has a serial # of RJ280701. 

Edit: serial number  

Edited by otto - 12 July 2017 at 12:21am
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 5:45am
I got a call from the machine shop today with an update on my engine. They took the block to another shop in Portland to have it pressure tested and to get a second opinion on the block's integrity. They are telling me I have a crack-free block. 😃 The second block measured at standard bore but it took a 0.040" cut to clean it up. They got me some 0.040" pistons to go with it. This is on their dime. 
48 CJ2A
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 1:33pm
Thumbs Up
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Thumbs Up

X2 Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 5:43pm
Awesome! Clap
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 2:49pm

10/10/2017

I picked up the engine block from the machine shop today! Just to recap: the shop said they would stand behind the promise they made me to “take care of me” and they did. They hot-tanked and cleaned the replacement block, bored and honed 4 cylinders and supplied 0.040” over pistons and rings, decked the block, installed a new cam bearing, installed all new valve guides, ground the seats and threw in a Felpro gasket set. There were a couple of bad exhaust valve seats in the replacement block and they installed all four with hard seats because they said “it was the right thing to do” even though it wasn’t part of the original build. I believe the owner said it amounted to around $900 worth of work but today I picked it up at no charge.

This project has taken a lot longer than I had planned and took a few twists and turns along the way, but in the end I think I’m ending up with a better engine.

I also killed a mole in the back yard today! Not bad for a Tuesday.

48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2017 at 9:21pm

Awesome!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 10:14pm

Good to have the block back home again. The cast iron got a coat of primer on the outside, everything else was painted already from the other build. This block has one head stud that has been oversized where the coarse threads screw into the block, but the stud above the deck is still 7/16". Haven't seen one of those before.
48 CJ2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 10:39pm
Those repair studs are not uncommon in the aluminum cases of VW air-cooled engines. Another fix for bad threads in the block/case are Case Savers. They are basically a bushing threaded on both the out side & inside diameters. The inside threads are the same as the original studs take, the outside threads are two sizes bigger. One has to drill & tap the bad hole to accommodate them. Both solutions work well.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 11:29pm
Those case savers sound like what I've always heard called heli-coils.  I've used them bunches of times when have to deal with bad threads.  

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 3:44am
Heli-coils don't have to be drilled two sizes bigger to use them.  The "case saver" sounds like a larger item. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 6:53am
I should have also mentioned Heli-coils in my first post. Sorry.

Mike is correct, I have used both Heli-coils & Case Savers. Heli-coils are made like a tightly wound spring, while Case Savers are more like a bushing. Heli-coils do indeed use a smaller hole than does the Case Savers.

IME, all three of these work well. Heli-coils are the most readily available. Yet, one needs to buy a kit that will include a special tap & the drill needed for it along with five Heli-coils. If you need seven of them, you get to buy five more. Case Savers use standard taps & drills. Back when I used to buy them one could buy just one of them. Those stepped studs are usually made in a machine shop & are expensive because of the labor costs.

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:42pm
I'd never heard of Case Savers before but if sounds to me like that if there's enough room around the stripped hole for a Case Saver, it would be the better option over the heli coils that I'm very familiar with.  

Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 4:14am
Never seen the "Case Saver" brand, but I have successfully used a product called E-Z Lok (www.ezlok.com) , to restore stripped 7/16-14 holes for the head studs. They do require a bigger threaded hole than helicoils, but I like the robust nature of the E-Z Lok's carbon steel. You don't need to remove the engine and they use standard taps and tools.

I used different diameters and length of E-Z Lok's, depending on damage done and how much block material there was to work with. I fit them to be flush or slightly below the deck as I wasn't going to have the block planed:
E-Z Lok 319-7 7/16-14 inner x 9/16-12 outer x 9/16" long and 329-7 which is 7/16-14 inner 5/8-11 outer x 21/32 long.

Get a good quality bottoming tap for threading the block. Install the E-Z Lok first with permatex #2, then the stud with more #2. They come with a locking compound on them, but I opted to remove it and use #2.

I got mine from Zoro Tool, but I just Googled them and they now have them on Amazon, and some sizes on Flea Bay. Zore Tool had good deals on both taps I needed, too.

How'd they work..? Well, I replaced 3 bad holes and all I can say is there are no leaks or complaints so far.
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>