Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D41 Pinion depth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 2:36am
Ed, I see what you are saying. I measured the caps when I had them off and could not discern any significant difference, but I'll change them soon.

Also why would they stamp a pinion with the same marking?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 3:57am
Rick: I believe that the ring and pinion set that you have installed now is an aftermarket set that was probably supplied by Richmond Gear. Nothing wrong with it as Richmond is a reputable manufacturer and I have installed dozens of Richmond ring and pinions in all make of trucks.

All original equipment Dana Spicer model 41 gear sets were marked "Spicer" and would have had all of the markings that your original gearset had. Replacement (aftermarket) Spicer gearsets would have had the same markings as the original gearsets except for the date coding would have been different, of course.

I still have a copy of Dana Spicer's first aftermarket axle catalog dated July 1959 and the replacement parts for the model 41 axle were already out of production at that time. It is interesting to note that parts were still listed for the model 25 front axle at that time.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12