Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tires On 4.5-inch Rim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires On 4.5-inch Rim
    Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Mike, can you give us a side view please.....I like that tread.

Roc -- when I can get into my image hosting site, I'll see if I can find a side view of the tires.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Will rims from Samurai's or Geo Tracker tires fitt a Willys?  Seems to me that the Geo tracker might be something to explore.

Originally posted by cavalier cavalier wrote:

Yep, I'm headed to the yard tomorrow to grab Tracker wheels. Should fit perfectly based on my research!

Samurai wheels.  

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 5:37am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

X2

I, too, am heading to the tall skinny tire realm very soon.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 5:07am
i'll try to look around here tomorrow
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 4:59am
You're right. 31x10.50s are still too wide for tracker wheels. 

Dangit!

-DT
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:17am

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 1:43am
You guys are confusing me.

You said your wheels were 4.5.

4.5x15? or 4.5x16?

I'm assuming the tires you had were 31x10.50r15?

31x10.5's are still a bit wide for your Tracker wheels...
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 1:00am
I have a set of 235/85/R16 Cooper STT Pro tires in 6X16 FSJ Wheels. (EDIT: THESE TIRES ARE 215/85/R16) They clear the frame at full lock - nut just barely.

I think 215/85/r16 might work on the 4.5' stock rims. Landrover guys are keeping the market for 'tall and skinny' alive.

Mike

Edited by Mike S - 23 Mar. 2017 at 11:02pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 4:27am
I swapped some Samurai wheels on to my rig on Saturday for a day of snow wheeling. Worked fine.

Edited to change Tracker to Samurai.

Edited by smfulle - 21 Mar. 2017 at 4:29am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 3:30am
Yep, I'm headed to the yard tomorrow to grab Tracker wheels. Should fit perfectly based on my research!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 3:00am
Will rims from Samurai's or Geo Tracker tires fitt a Willys?  Seems to me that the Geo tracker might be something to explore.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 2:21am
We may be the only ones that think that....Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 1:32am
I am not going to argue with anyone about this issue. However, IME, wheels from pre-1990 Ford, Dodge, & IH 4X4 rigs will fit our Willys. The rims from 2WD trucks may, or may not, fit the front axle. Most of the 2WD truck rims will fit the rear axle without modifications. Again, IME, Car rims are iffy at best for the rear axle. Car rims will not fit the front axle. YMMV.

If some folks have found that certain years, makes & models will not fit, I would listen to them. I have had a set of stock 1996 Dodge 1/2 ton 4X4 rims on my Willys pickup. They bolted right on.

As for grinding, or cutting the center hole to fit the larger diameter hubs, If you grind off a strengthening ridge, obviously, you have weakened the rim. Do not do this. Keep in mind that removing any material from wheels will weaken the wheel. The question is, How much? You will have to decide for yourself whether you are willing to take the risk that is present when you remove material from the center of your rims.

Back in the day, when we could not find enough 4X4 rims, I, & many of my friends have had success cutting the center hole out. Yes, we "wheeled" them hard! I do not recall any issues we had doing this. We bent a few jumping over things with our Jeeps, but that is what bent the original rims, so... I have a set that must have at least 75,000 miles on them. Probably much more than that. No problems, so far. Again, your call on that.

As for finding the 4th& 5th Cragar, Place a "Wanted" ad in your local Craig's list, or Nickle Ads, Wanted section. Place another "Wanted" ad in the auto parts section. I have completed three sets of wheels this way. I have also sold some of my odd rims to help others do the same. At this time, I do not have any Cragar rims that will fit a Willys. 

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 11:26pm
keep looking you'll find a 4th, or another pair to match the backspacing and keep the other for a spare. craigslist or hit all the local wrecking yards

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 9:18pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

You need a 5 bolt 5.5 inch bolt circle AND a 4.25 inch bore.

The common Ford wheels that fit have too small a center bore.

Didn't Bronco's and 4wd Ford trucks use lockout hubs?  Confused

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by cavalier cavalier wrote:

Great news! Found three Cragar wheels at the junkyard on an old Ford that have a 4.25" center hole!

Bad news, though: I found THREE wheels. 

Hmm....

...hate when that happens. As for the tire, I’ve been happy with my Cooper AT's but don't know about used.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 7:15pm
Great news! Found three Cragar wheels at the junkyard on an old Ford that have a 4.25" center hole!

Bad news, though: I found THREE wheels. 

Hmm....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>