Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 Year Gem! 46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 Year Gem! 46 CJ2A
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 5:53pm
Hey all!!

This is my first post, and in all fairness. My first jeep, let alone a Willy's. A friend of the family had this old girl sitting in a garage since 1979. And she runs!! Of course she needs a little TLC, but I'm learning as i go and feel that this is a great group of folks! (Based on posts I've read so far )

Being a younger willys owner, don't know too many others under 30... I'm not looking to modify her anymore than i have to as I fell in love the way she is. (Except the color and the seats are too high for me).

Anyway guys, enough of all that. This is my girl, in all her "before" glory! I look forward to learning from you all, and maybe making a few discoveries of my own!

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 6:03pm
Welcome and Nice early column shift '46!

Data-->http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 6:06pm
Welcome aboard,you have a really nice early 46 cj2a.Have fun with it.

Giles
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 7:11pm
That's a great place to start!  welcome!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 7:31pm
Very Nice! Scares me to death to see a tow-bar bungeed on like that.. take it off or secure it better before ya give one of us old-farts a heart attack wouldja??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 7:49pm
LOL, I understand completely. Fear not, she doesn't really move under her own power right now on account of not having any safe brakes. Once that gets remedied, it's going to come off.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 8:20pm
You have a nice platform to start from. I was going to mention the tow bar as well. I only lost 1 once, at about 3 MPH.
I started out when I was 13 with a MB.
Wees here to Hep.
uncamonkey
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 8:56pm
Very nice early CJ. I have the same Arvin heater in mine that the PO installed and had to move the air cleaner. Have fun and read up here - you won't find better info anywhere else.
DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 9:06pm
Arvin heater? Thats not original? (Still learning what has been done to it.)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 10:22pm
Looks like you have a 66-67 Mustang seat in your Jeep DO NOT JUNK IT that could buy you a 2A seat frame. But I doubt a 2A seat would be any lower unless your talking about how high the back of the seat is.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 10:56pm
How high The seat back sticks out does seem a little strange to me, but I think the bottom seat cushion portion is quite a bit thicker than the frame with the pad would be. And I'm certainly all for trading the seats for a decent set.
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 11:41pm
Great looking Willys, never mind first Willys. As a fellow 46 owner, your's is in good shape.  Suggest you fix the "must do's and enjoy the vehicle for a while, during that time you'll learn just what you want from the old girl.  R/Dana
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
bverboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bverboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 1:13am
that's a sharp buggy
DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 2:38am
Today was a productive day! Things i have thus far learned: the wiring insulation was rotted, so a wire job is in the future. For now its been repaired as best as i could do. Oil drained and replaced, old stuff smelled awful. Motor would turn by hand, so... i fired it up and she came to life. Oil pressure read decent and the fuel pump worked well. Smokes like willy nelson at woodstock... look like she burns oil pretty good, But its a start!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:13pm
Pull the PCV valve and clean it, make sure all the parts are still inside of it. I've heard of rare cases of the PCV valve being gutted and allowing oil to be pulled into the intake. Could be stuck rings from sitting too, maybe run some Seafoam or something in it and see if it will clear up. Looks like a great start    
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
DocHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 1:50am
Ran marvel oil through the jeep, cleaned the pcv as best as i could. And found my brakes went out on me... I'm guessing my rebuilt wheel cylinders are leaking (master cylinder was completely empty) but that aside, i figured, since it isnt moving; I'd try to remove my broken exhaust piping. And in doing so, pulled the manifolds. And found cracks in the manifold.

Will this cause a oil burning issue potenially? Did all flathead motors share these manifold designs?

Thanks again y'all!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 3:50am
Shocked  Was Willy there? I don't remember seeing him - but then, there's a lot that i don't remember from that time.......Confused   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 4:51am
wow nice find and as Mark said that is a 66 67 mustang seat and its a drivers side one to boot, you take that to the swap meet or post it on line it will buy some good jeep parts, most drivers side seats for the mustangs would get twisted from the drivers rolling in and out of the car
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>