Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiser Willys flat Olive Drab Paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaiser Willys flat Olive Drab Paint
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:52am
I'm almost finished with the metal work on my '47. I plan to paint everything in epoxy primer and thinking of using the KW flat olive drab as the top coat. Does anyone have any experience with this paint, pros and cons. Does it hold up ok? I assume touch-ups are pretty easy. Thanks!
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:01am
Yes, I used it # 33070  Flat olive.  Worked great.  You need to use xylene to thin the paint 1 to 1 ratio to spray it.  Shouldn't be a problem in MO., but here in CA, I CAN'T get xylene.  Quite an endeavor to find a substitute.  You should get 5-6 rattle cans of it as well.  A perfect match, and you WILL need it for small items you don't want to have to get the spray gun out for.  But, you can get the cans MUCH cheaper on E-bay believe it or not.  KW wants like $15 for a can.  You can find it on EB for 7.00.

Edited by cal.bar - 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:18am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:42am
John that's what I used on my jeep also # 33070 ww11 olive drab,1 gallon from Ron Fitzpatrick is only $39.00 and his spray can are $7.50 each.I mix it 4 paint to 1 reducer as they recommend and I added a universal hardener to make the paint more durable. I used a cheap gravity feed spray gun with a # 1.8 tip.Works really good and covers real good. It 's a paint that is easy to work with.

Giles
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 3:15am
Thanks guys for the great advice and suggestions. I have not posted pics of my project yet except some before photos. As soon as the metal work is complete, I'll post some before and after paint photos - in olive drab. John
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 5:48am
Also used this paint with a 1/1 Xylol / xylene reducer. Worked well.
Thinning is winning.

Definitely grab a spray can or 2. Especially for tiny little knicks that will need to get covered up over time.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 12:10pm
The Ron Fitzpatrick paint is good as long as you buy the gallon and shoot it with a gun. I like the tone of it and that is what I used on my g503. The rattle can versions I have bought from him more than once and I have not had very good luck at all. They clog hideously. In a day, in an hour, in 10 minutes. Turn the can upside down to blow air through the nozzle does not help. Change nozzle, Does not help. I think the problem is in the can. My advise is if you buy a rattle can from Ron, use the whole can in it's entirety and in some cases, don't let off till the can is empty.

That being said, The RAPCO 33070 rattle cans are great. They work like you would expect a spray can to work. Spray on some touchup paint, set the can on the shelf. Use it again next year. The tone of the rapco paint is slightly, lighter than Ron's. It's hard to tell the difference in most lights.

Both paints are xylene based so I'm not sure what the difference is. I think it is the metal can itself. As I said, BAM BAM is painted with RFP paint but I buy Rapco rattle cans for touch-up..... but usually, I just don't touch it up

Edited by jpet - 21 Apr. 2017 at 12:12pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:14pm
I have the same problem with other spray tips clogging too - Rustoleum and Eastwood rattle cans. Cleaning the tips doesn't seem to help. I'm wondering if I'm not shaking the cans enough before using.
I have large and small paint guns so not using rattle cans for small parts or touch-ups is not a big problem - except the clean up. Really appreciate the suggestions - can't wait to start painting.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 3:07pm
I thought that Rapco and Fitzpatrick sell the same Gillespie brand paint.  I have trouble with the rattle cans too.  My sense is that the paint is mixed too thick - the rattle cans could use more thinner.

The 33070 color is what most WWII jeep restorers seem to use.  My dad went a slightly different route on our jeep: he used 34087 which has a little more brown than 33070.  I stuck with it when I inherited the MB.  I like it too.  With enough "patina", the two colors look almost the same.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 3:24pm
Definitely encountered the same thing with the spray can.
It was good when it worked but I ran out of aerosol quickly and it was too think and would get clogged.
One time I had to waste about half a can because no air was left in it.

Other than that, it did its job.

However, I found a can of plastic olive drab hobby paint and the paint looks to match up well. 
Even though if its for plastic, maybe stop by a local hobby shop to see if they have a medal application.

JS
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 3:36pm
I think you have to shake the can really good and when done spray the can upside down.I been lucky with it.Also when I'm done I clean the tip with gun cleaner and I blow air thru it.

Giles.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

I think you have to shake the can really good and when done spray the can upside down.I been lucky with it.Also when I'm done I clean the tip with gun cleaner and I blow air thru it.

Giles.
Did all that.  Doesn't work with Ron's paint  Even changing the tip does not work.  I think the paint is basically the same.  That is why I think it has something to do with the can outlet:

The RFP paint had a different style tip that clogged, so I changed it with a tip from a working can.  See how the paint is running down the side of the can?  I've also tried new tips.  That's what it does.  It's not the tip that clogs.  It's a problem with the outlet in the can from what I can tell.  The RFP can is about half full would love to use the rest of it  The Rapco can on the right works great.  Shake it, spray it, Turn it upside down and blow out when finished, put on shelf, use it at later date with confidence till the can is empty.

I'm not saying there might be a trick or two to get the RFP can to work but the Rapco can requires no tricks.  Just use it.  I bought my RFP paint a few years ago.  Two different times I bought a box of 6.  Most, but not all of the cans had problems.  Maybe they have solved the problem since.  IDK.  
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:36pm
The 33070 Olive Drab paint sold by KW and Ron are from the same manufacture.  Ron no longer carries paint produced by Gillespie Coatings.  I have recently used Ron's 33070 with good results.  When using a spray gun, be sure to mix it 4:1 with Mineral spirits as the paint is Alkyd enamel. Use a gun with a 1.5-1.8 tip for the best results.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:54pm
If you are buying Rapco spray paint (OD) and a gallon of Fitzpatrick (OD) are the colors the same or should you stay with Rapco since the spray cans have a problem with Fitzpatrick? 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:19pm

The lighter color OD is Rapco. The darker is Ron Fitzpatrick. Both are calling it 33070

I prefer the tone of Ron's paint better but some like the lighter color of the Rapco. As you can see they are not a match but on a vehicle like BAM BAM, I think that is a good thing. I like the miss-match look. I guess if the jeep is "clean", you would want to choose one or the other.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:27pm
Look closely and you can see BAM BAM's birth mark on the grill.

I think it's kinda cool but again, probably not on a clean g503.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:37am
I've often wondered if using M-38 semi-gloss as a first coat and topping with a flat OD would be better than just flat OD.  Would the flat-OD-over-semi-gloss look good longer than OD by itself?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I've often wondered if using M-38 semi-gloss as a first coat and topping with a flat OD would be better than just flat OD.  Would the flat-OD-over-semi-gloss look good longer than OD by itself?

Mike what I did , I used a universal hardner with the flat OD and reducer ,it will make your paint more durable and if you paint on numbers with decals you can clean the overspray close to the numbers with reducer without removing the OD flat paint. I bought my jeep to the body shop I used to work at in the early 90's and the owner was impressed with the jeep paint and painted numbers.That what I did and it turned out nice.

Giles

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 3:05am
Universal hardener?  I didn't know such a thing existed.  Then again, I painted Ol' Unreliable with Rust-oleum and a brush.  LOL   It's a 50-footer!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>