Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiser Willys flat Olive Drab Paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Universal hardener?  I didn't know such a thing existed.  Then again, I painted Ol' Unreliable with Rust-oleum and a brush.  LOL   It's a 50-footer!

This is the Universal Hardener I'm using.Its made by Pro Form ..

Giles
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 3:26pm
The mis-match of paint is something that always happened in the Army. Of course, the paints supplied were always from the lowest bidder on the most recent contract for OD paint. You couldn't always count on a match, even from the same contractor if the batch numbers didn't match. I doubt anyone ever lost any sleep over it in a combat zone. Touch up work with a brush to keep the rust down never matched...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by V8 Willys V8 Willys wrote:

If you are buying Rapco spray paint (OD) and a gallon of Fitzpatrick (OD) are the colors the same or should you stay with Rapco since the spray cans have a problem with Fitzpatrick? 

I have Rapco cans and they can clog too.  No relief there! 

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 6:20pm
I'd like to do an update to this thread. I bought 4 more cans of paint from Ron Fitzpatrick:

... this one says IMPROVED ATOMIZATION FAN PATTERN. Not sure what that has to do with clogging or not. All the cans I have used in the past were clogging in the can itself, not the nozzle .... anywho, I have just went through my second can and I have had no issues. That is a first for me. Basically, I am using them the same way. shake thoroughly and turn them upside down and spray till air clears the nozzle. Very pleased
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2018 at 2:56am
Paint color is a personal thing so if you're not doing an original restore use what you like.  Coming at this from the MV angle, it seems like 
Gillespie brand is well liked by a lot of MV'ers.  It is durable and less prone to fade than other brands I've tried.  I have a trailer that I painted with 
Gillespie 34087  (my personal choice for WW2 items)from gallons almost 40 years ago.  It has spent a lot of time outside and still looks pretty good. 
  The Gillespie rattle cans seem to work well.  Also, I wouldn't mix brands.  There may be a chemical mismatch that could cause wrinkles or peeling.  

When using several rattle cans, I use the same tip from can to can.  That gives me a few unused spares in case I have a tip problem or for future use.
Heres's a tip (pun?) for keeping spray tips clean...pull a spray tip from a rattle can next time you go to the parts store.  Find a can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner that the tip will fit.  Then when you're done painting put the paint spray tip on the cleaner and give a couple shots to clear it. 

Edited by Johnnygeep - 07 Nov. 2018 at 3:09am
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2018 at 3:08am
I would stick with one brand.  Even with the same brand a color mismatch can happen from lot to lot.  Also, there's a chance of chemical incompatibility that may cause wrinkles, peeling, etc.  Personally, Gillespie  brandbran always performed well for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12