Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake lights come on randomly..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake lights come on randomly..
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:53pm
I've searched, and can't figure this out. It's driving me crazy because it's such a simple system. 

So, my brake lights just come on and random. Whenever they feel like it. I go over and wiggle the brake pedal and they go off for a while until they decide to come back on. I've replaced the brake light switch, I've changed the ends on my wires just in case, etc... you guys have any ideas? 
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:04pm
Is the free play in your brake pedal good, could be its not letting all the pressure off the system. Also check the return spring for the pedal, it could be the weight of the pedal is enough to turn on your lights.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:14pm
Makes sense.. I'll check into that this afternoon. 
Shastakimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shastakimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:40pm
I was having the same problem last fall. I actually noticed that they would come on just sitting in the driveway after a couple of hours. Seemed like as the master cylinder warmed up in the sun it would build a bit of pressure. Pedal has free play, and spring is pulling it all the way back. I reblead the brakes and it seemed to fix the problem. Hope this helps.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 3:21pm
Is the master cyl heat shield in place?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply