Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2 Brake Pedal Arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2 Brake Pedal Arm
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 6:06am
Hey Guys, anyone have a NOS or otherwise good shape brake pedal arm?  Mine wobbles back and forth.

Thanks,

David

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 3:33pm
You could bore it out and make a bushing for it also check to see if the shaft and or the bracket on the frame is worn. These are some of the wear points on these rigs that get neglected when greased.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 4:35pm
 The pedal arm, the shaft, and the bracket are all available thru the normal vendors, with the normal "not quite right" problems that are so common. The pedal arm especially, won't line up with the hole in the floor, and may not line up with the master cylinder. One of the military jeep parts suppliers recently advertised a "rebuilt" pedal arm with a bushing at $78.00 or so, and a core. I've had a couple done locally, and one very nicely done cost me $80.00, while the other one not so nice (I had to finish the job with a file Angry) was $100.00.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 6:33pm
And here I THOUGHT it would be easy to just buy a new part!
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 7:02pm
There's one on ebay for 34 dollars free shipping.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

There's one on ebay for 34 dollars free shipping.

That's actually MORE than new from KW.  But if they won't fit, they aren't going to do me much good.  At least with KW I can return it if it doesn't fit.

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 10:16pm
Most of the time I had god luck with Ebay but, it is a chance and you play the hand given to you.
Good Luck.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 12:18am
There are ways to fix them that don't involve new bushings and such. Willys used to sell a repair kit that basically clamped the pedals tighter so the side play was mostly removed. I have seen a few posts where people did their own fix using plumbing parts and all thread to tighten things up.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 1:15am
Buying new isn't always the easiest way, check out my thread "New body prep" in general discussions.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 3:36am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

There are ways to fix them that don't involve new bushings and such. Willys used to sell a repair kit that basically clamped the pedals tighter so the side play was mostly removed. I have seen a few posts where people did their own fix using plumbing parts and all thread to tighten things up.

I've seen the repair kit that Willys sold, and it is a Bubba-engineered band-aid if I ever saw one. A temporary "fix" that only addresses about half of the problem, and requires the whole thing to be fixed correctly later on. To each his own, but you won't see anything like that on any of my jeeps, unless it's a temporary fix to get me out of the mountains.  Fix it right, fix it once.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 3:41am
Yeah I saw that fix as well. It also look rather jerry-rig to me. Given we have plenty of the new parts available and can get bushings made or what-have-you I see no reason not to fix it properly the first time
 Post Reply Post Reply