Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Pinto engines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

in an off road situation torque is more important then HP it would seam the Pinto engines are a small improvement around 9-11.5%

Simplistically speaking (and just quoting numbers NOT 'seat of the pants' feel) you may be somewhat accurate.

Now, let's make the same 'upgrades' to a 2000cc Pinto motor that you are making to your little "hot rod" 134....ie improved carburetion, exhaust, ignition and compression. ( because that's going to cost the same for both motors, ......Weber and header doesn't know the difference in motors so cost is comparable)

Well, maybe I'm wrong but that sorta makes it 'not so close' anymore....(with much more addition potential from the Ford motor)

Added horsepower AND torque combined with 5.38s make a pretty well behaved and 'usable' on AND off-road rig.

I just know if both motors were sitting there on the floor which one I would pick.

That's my choice.......not expecting to change any minds here.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 3:52am
I needed an engine for this project,  no flat heads were available and the pinto came in the car for $100.
The 350 Chevy had destroyed the T90A so I refreshed it with all new bearings and T90C gears. After I got started on the Pinto engine I was made aware of four flat heads in a garage in a near by town.  When the hood is repaired and on I will not advertise the Pinto engine. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:31am
Ewwwe, A Ford motor in a Jeep? My first Jeep was MB so I am familiar with GPWs. I think if I was going to do another motor install I would do a small Ford motor as the distributor is in a better place.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12