Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kent's CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kent's CJ2A
    Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:47am
Little did I know when I married my beautiful bride nearly 40 years ago that I had also married into a Jeep family of long standing. Linda's father, Kent, discovered an old CJ2A in a dump site in Eastern Montana and managed to drag it home to Spearfish,SD in the early 1960s. He and my future brothers-in-law cut, hacked, pounded and welded it back together. Slapped a coat of red paint on it and proceeded to enjoy the heck out of it. At some point in time the younger brother in law painted it green. My wife, Linda remembers driving it when she was 14 or so and getting stuck in a ditch early on. At one time it had a snow plow on it when the younger bil moved to Sundance. In time the kids all grew up, moved away and the Jeep was not used regularly and was ultimately sold.
Years later the old Jeep came up in conversation and it was rediscovered in a ranchers field where it had been sitting slowly turning to rust. The two brothers in law decided to resurrect the Jeep back into a useful-dependable machine for family and friends to enjoy for years to come!
We dug up many pictures and I will include a few here for your enjoyment. There are five generations shown in the old girl and all have big smiles on their faces. Hopefully we will have more generations experience the joy of Jeeping in Kent's CJ 2A
Kent in his Jeep early 1960s Spearfish SD

RWILLYS (Space R)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:16am
Nice, you need to keep the story going.
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:21am
Love these family rigs and the photos that go with them.

Thanks for sharing.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:31am
A few more pictures

Linda...sweet 16 (2nd generation)

The brothers all grown up (2nd generation)

3rd and 4th generations The young man in the passengers seat is named Kent....cool

Linda a few years later....still sweet

[IMG]
2nd and 5th generations
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:43am
Random shots

Swarm Day Black Hills State Teachers College, Spearfish SD......yup it's under there....somewhere

Me, son-in-law, brother-in-law, daughter....that would be 2nd and 3rd generation

3rd generation

4th generation
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:57am
And even more

Kent with son-in-law and grandson

Trail recon for Black Hills Jeep Run 2017 coming soon!!
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:16am
There you have it folks. 50 years of one family's jeeping tradition with 70 year old iron. I'm pretty sure no one will be talking fondly of restoring their 2017 era side by sides. Willys.....nothing like em!!
RWILLYS (Space R)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:23am
Great photos, it is like a blast from the past but you need more dogs in there. I ended up with my first Jeep and first (best) dog at around the same time. (MB and a Black Lab). Like the song, Memories Are Made of This.
uncamonkey
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:16am
Great history and photos! Thank you
Rick Estes
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:50am
You are truly blessed...
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:20pm
Ok.. jeeps and dogs...can do. The first is Kent's Jeep with Pup the brown dog checking it out. The second is my Niece and her son with Dakota in friend Keith's Jeep which had no glass in the frame. Dakota loved riding in it but the humans didn't like the dog drool blowing back on them

RWILLYS (Space R)
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:22pm
Good Times, good memories. Best part is you are keeping it alive with todays generation. Thumbs Up
Glen
49 CJ3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:06pm
Clap So cool to know so much history and have photos of one Jeep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:42pm
Nice write-up Rick, thx for the fotos..Thumbs Up See ya on the trail next month.. 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:26am
Great to see old pics of jeeps. Thanks for sharing
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 2:01pm
Good job Rick. If you come to the  BHR, you'll get to see and meet these fine folks. Birds of a feather----------------.  Spent yesterday doing re-con with them. I'd go Jeeping with them anytime. As to the old photos, it rang bells with me as a youth also. I had a 2A at age 13. My first desired machine! I remember seeing many old Jeeps parked out by roads just before deer hunting season with for sale signs in the window. . Seems that's what they were wanted for. Then, after season, they were back on the market again. Wish I could go back and get a few. Those days are gone. Try buying one that's sitting. You'll get many responces as to why it's not for sale----------------ever. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 2:46am
all I can say is awesome , you gota love the old photos and the history
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:09pm
I love the old photos. Thx for sharing!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>