Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts from India

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts from India
    Posted: 18 July 2017 at 5:00pm
On eBay I came across two separate manufacturers of metal parts and one of canvas parts.  These are what I would consider "ancillary parts": footman loops, spare tire carrier, etc., but the canvas manufacturer offered an attractive offer of a summer top and all seat covers (maybe top bows also??)  Has anyone had experience with these India origin parts?  Thanks!

Edited by OldJeepBob - 19 July 2017 at 6:23pm
REPS
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:11pm
OldJeepBob, you got to remember the Indians have been making Jeeps under licence since WW2, the Mahindra is still being made and its a 3B based model.

I would certainly check out parts, I had a Mahindra Crankshaft on the shelf for a while here, they will fit straight into a L134 and are probably better made, so many genuine ones I found were cracked.

There is a huge manufacturing industry there, the worlds biggest crankshaft manufacturer is based there, you'll be surprised to know what parts are in cars/trucks etc all made in India.

We service Mack Trucks quite often, all Concrete Mixers, cast very clear in the front axles is "Made in India"!.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
OldJeepBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:05pm
Thanks for  the perspective, Adrian.
REPS
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:39pm
You might edit the title of the post to say "India Parts" though.

I'm probably not the only one that thought you were looking for Indian Motorcycle parts.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

You might edit the title of the post to say "India Parts" though.

I'm probably not the only one that thought you were looking for Indian Motorcycle parts.

I thought that also

I believe the NOS first/ reverse gear I bought not to long ago is from India.
OldJeepBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 6:24pm
Tnx, Joe.  Done
Not made on a reservation, either.
Clap
REPS
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I wondered if Indian motorcycle parts were being sought, too.  I wish we could retroactively slap Christopher Columbus.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:45am
I worried Tonto was broken..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 2:01am
[

I wondered if Indian motorcycle parts were being sought, too.  I wish we could retroactively slap Christopher Columbus.
[/QUOTE]   What? How does that follow? Unless your thinking Indian Motorcycles where made by Indians. Joe wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:52am
I wondered as well. A few years ago I rode a new Indian motorcycle and it was a PITA.
Yep, an old original Indian bike is worth something.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:42am
Christopher Columbus mistakenly thought the earth was only 18,000 miles around instead of the 25,000 it actually is.  He thought he had gotten to India, not knowing there were another two continents between him and India.  He called the people he encountered "Indians" and somehow the name stuck.  Had he named the people correctly, maybe the motorcycles would have been called... well, something else?  Anyway, he needs to be retro-slapped.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:15am
His wife should have reminded him to take his GPS, bet he left it on the kitchen bench
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

His wife should have reminded him to take his GPS, bet he left it on the kitchen bench

Probably on purpose. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply