Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New leak
    Posted: 21 July 2017 at 2:36pm
46 cj2a. Found a small puddle under the other day. Maybe a shot glass worth. Seem to be coming from behind parking brake drum assembly. Is this a big job or just a seal replacement?  Anyone done this one? Any hints or warnings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all constructive suggestions 
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 4:28pm
Given the location I have to surmise that the leak is from the transmission and or transfer case. Yes this is a large deal you will have to drop the transmission and the transfer case and virtually rebuild both of them at least insofar as the oil seals are concerned. And the bad news is that as many of us here have found even rebuilding it multiple times will not necessarily Ensure a leak free reassembly. If the Jeep is otherwise running well you may find it easier to get a big box of kitty litter to put under the Jeep if it only leaks following runs. If it's leaking all the time that's a different story and should spur you to rebuild everything sooner rather than later
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 8:31pm
I'm not sure I would go as far as Cal.Bar would take you.  If just behind the parking brake assembly, you might find the leak is also inside the brake drum.  If so, it will need a new seal, and possibly a sleeve on the output yoke.  Pretty simple repair.

If it's leaking further forward, it may be the joint between the transfer case housing and the rear output bearing cap. The assembly is shimmed in this joint and is prone to leaking.  The fix is a little more complex, but can still be done without pulling the TC out of the Willys. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 9:00pm
I guess the biggest issue is to determine where the oil is coming from.  I'd be surprised if it were ONLY from the rear output yolk.  Throw some dye into the oil and run it a bit and see where that oil is coming from. (right?)
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 9:23pm
Thanks will try that. What kind of dye? Never did that. 
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 10:30pm
don't forget a possible sleeve on shaft to stop leaks 
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 10:54pm
Use rtv or other favorite sealer  on the splines of the yoke/output shaft.
That may be all that is needed, but if the sealing surface is worn, follow Hawk's advice above plus sealing the splines.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 11:56pm
Thanks for these tips. I really appreciate all your help.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:47am
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Throw some dye into the oil and run it a bit and see where that oil is coming from. (right?)

Hmmm... not sure about this one. If you put dye in the T and TC oil, and you later find dye coloured oil on the floor, what have we determined? That the oil comes from the T and TC? We know that already. I don't see how this will pinpoint the location of the leak....

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 2:49pm
I'm hearing that crown brand seals aren't of good quality also the other brand available ads or something like that are bad too. What brand does anybody suggest and where do I get them?
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 2:58pm
To all
I just went through this drill on my 45 2A. I replaced both the front and rear yolks on the transfer case and respective output seals. I also used silicone on the shaft threads and the inside of the washer that goes behind the large yolk retaining nut.

I got my seals and yolks from G 503, the seals were double lipped. I had tried the speedy sleeve bit on the yolks previously, and didn't have much success, the leaks continued.

For what it is worth,

Frank

ps: I think the new yolks cost about the same as the speedy sleeves. But with the new yolks, I only had to do it once.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:11pm
Found National brand double lipped seal on eBay part#463229. Haven't pulled it yet to see if  hole needs replaced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:12pm
yoke not hole.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Throw some dye into the oil and run it a bit and see where that oil is coming from. (right?)

Hmmm... not sure about this one. If you put dye in the T and TC oil, and you later find dye coloured oil on the floor, what have we determined? That the oil comes from the T and TC? We know that already. I don't see how this will pinpoint the location of the leak....

My thought was to clean all the oil off the bottom of the jeep.  Put the dye in and run it a bit.  What that should do is allow you to see the colored oil a bit better than clear oil so you can get a better idea of exactly WHICH seams are leaking.  In other words, don't just wait until it hits the floor.  Observe where it is coming from if possible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:03pm
understand and I makes good sense. Buy I've never used dye. Where and what do I ask for oil dye?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:20pm
The oil dye would be a great choice if the leak is coming from the bell housing weep hole and you wanted to determine if the leak originated from the engine or the transmission.  Lots of people can smell the difference between gear oil and engine oil.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:09pm
called local auto parts store for oil dye. They have it. Never knew about it. Used the one for refrigerant.  A couple cans of brake clean and a wire brush should clean off the old crude and then we'll see.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:06pm
yes let's see if we can find out where the actual leak is so you know which seal or seals to concentrate on when you rebuild
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>