Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling System Flush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling System Flush
    Posted: 21 July 2017 at 7:12pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting to change all the fluids in my project which has been sitting for a very long time. (The jeep is currently running and driving). I was thinking of making a radiator/engine block flush gun similar to this:

My question is... Is this necessary? Could I cause more harm than good? Am I over thinking this?

If I simply drain the radiator and lower hose to engine block, should that be sufficient?

Thank you Smile
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 8:11pm
I have used the flush kits from the parts house with marginal results.  Flush solution in, warm up the engine, let it cool enough to drain, put in clean water warm it up, let it cool and put in the antifreeze mix and hit the trails.  Some times the liquid is really dirty when drained, some times not so much.  Pay your money and take your chances.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 10:46pm
Be careful with the air pressure applied so you don't damage the radiator or heater cores.

Also, be sure to drain the block with the petcock on the right side.

White vinegar or CLR will work well, make sure to flush the system a couple times after the cleaner to be sure all is out/neutralized.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply