Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for long trips with a CJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for long trips with a CJ
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 3:29pm
So, next weekend is the Southeast Willys Get Together and I'm planning on taking 3 days and driving around 100 miles each way to get there. The speed limit is around 35 pretty much the entire way down the parkway and it shouldn't be too crowded. I'm not too worried about the major components of the 3B, I've sorted out my flooding issue with the Solex carb, replaced the bakes, leave springs, ran new wiring and all that other fun stuff. It's been really fun to spend the last 4 months rebuilding this thing.

My question is, what other stuff would you folks suggest I bring along with me? So far, I'm planning on bringing my camping stuff, tools, an extra fuel pump, gas, oil, coolant, general things like that. My major concern is that I don't have a spare tire on it and I would really rather avoid using that green stuff if I have a flat.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 3:45pm
any extra electrical components such as points, rotor, condenser, plugs and so on.......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by notzach notzach wrote:

I don't have a spare tire 

Then surely you will need one.. "Murphy's Law"..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 5:42pm
x2 on the spare points and condenser. 
I'd also throw in a spare u joint for the rear shaft. And some generic electrical connectors for whatever breaks. Duct tape, baling wire and some rags and you can fix most anything.   

Where are you coming from? We're coming up from near charlotte Friday after work. 

notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Originally posted by notzach notzach wrote:

I don't have a spare tire 

Then surely you will need one.. "Murphy's Law"..

Yep, I'm on the hunt for one right now. I may pull one off of my MB and just keep it with me.

Edited by notzach - 28 Sep. 2017 at 5:53pm
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

Where are you coming from? We're coming up from near charlotte Friday after work. 

I'm up in Boone, right now the plan is to take the Blue Ridge down and camp out on a forest service road in the Pisgah.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 1:17am
When did 100 miles each way become a long trip ......... Whatever you do not bring with will give the most trouble, Murphy's law! ........ Spare tire is a must, as well as points & condenser and fuel pump and the tools required to install, a test light and a jack come in handy as well, oil and antifreeze., also a phone number of a towing company or a friend with a trailer.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

When did 100 miles each way become a long trip  

Haha, it's not that far, but it's my first trip in the jeep. I'm pretty stoked about it.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 3:53pm
fire extinguisher
First aid kit

grip of zip ties.
hank of bailing wire.
roll of high quality duct tape (That black gorrila tape at walmart is easy to acquire, sticky and strong.)
chunk of fuel hose with hose clamps looped to itself with a new spare fuel filter as the connector to form a closed loop.
couple of bigger hose clamps for the radiator and heater hoses will also fit on that fuel line loop.

tow strap

If you can't bring a spare tire, how about at least a spare tube, 3 tire spoons, talcum powder, a jack and a way to re-inflate the tire. It might take hours, but it can be done trailside. I've been trained by the best!  Runnin' radials? tire plug kit. 

Essential tools:
hammer
knife
needle nose vice grips
channel locks
pliers
4 in 1 screwdriver
spark plug/lugnut wrench

Leather work gloves for working on/near hot/painful stuff. maybe some latex gloves and a handfull of rags to keep clean during repairs. Oh yeah. laying on a tarp is nicer than the dirt on the side of the road/trail.

100 miles of pavement at 40MPH will go by pretty fast and easy. You might even want some tunes with you after you get tired of the sweet put-put of the engine, the drone of the NDTs, and the whine of the gearboxes.

Happy motoring!

Edited by stude-a-willys - 29 Sep. 2017 at 4:05pm
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 7:10pm
Another 3B...

Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 8:58pm
Additional items to bring - Coil, a long plug wire, fluids, wheel cylinder, U joint, brake cleaner, front wheel bearing, grease to pack bearings, bar of soap (in case you end up with a leak in the gas tank), Golf tee (so you can plug the fuel line if you need to work on the fuel system).

Other things to do before the trip: Check the tire pressure, Adjust the parking brake so it will hold the Jeep on a hill, Pack the front wheel bearings, Grease all the zerks (28 or so of them), fill the transfer case, transmission, steering box, PTO for the front winch, front and rear differentials with gear oil, fill the steering knuckle with corn head lube, fill the front PTO winch with corn head lube, put some penetrating oil on the surrounds /covers of choke and throttle cables, oil the distributor, oil the generator, oil the pivot points on the carb linkage, clean the battery terminals, clean the ground connection, adjust the brakes (it should not pull to either side - if it does adjust them) - make sure the master cylinder is full,  re-torque the head, Tighten the U shackles on the leaf springs, Check the lug nuts are tight, check the wheel nuts on the rear taper axles are tight (220 pounds or something like that), Tighten the nuts on the U-joint for front and rear drive shafts, check the steering system fasteners are all tight - to make use the ball joint nuts are tight (cotter pins are installed), Align the Jeep/tires (actually pretty easy to do - maybe a 45 minute job) and tighten the bolts and screws on the side view mirror (they always seem to be loose).   If you have spare time oil the speedometer, oil the felts of the vacuum wiper switching gear, disassembly and clean the PVC valve, adjust the front head lights aim points, confirm there are 2 oz of oil in the Novi governor (if installed) and clean the dust and grime off of the front windshield.  Probably are few other things that could be done. 

Be Safe Out there!

Edited by Stev - 29 Sep. 2017 at 9:09pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 9:46pm
A chase vehicle wih a trailer can be very reassuring... Wink

(and nobody said "AAA" card?)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 10:52pm
Gear oil. Bring extra gear oil and think about how you will get that gear oil into the transfer case and transmission should you have to. Squeeze bottle and a length of hose perhaps.

And, as mentioned, phone contacts. I got half way to a show about 100 miles +/- from the house when my transfer case suffered a catastrophic failure. Totally out of the blue. Crap happens. Can't be ready for all of it unless you load a trailer full of spares and fluids and tools. I got myself back to a place that my friend could find without too much trouble and we put the JEEP on his trailer and headed home.

I didn't have a cell phone then. It's amazing how quickly you can wear out your welcome by asking to use a phone somewhere.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2017 at 4:54am
Bring KNOWLEDGE.  Know how to shift without using the clutch in case your linkage breaks somewhere.  BTDT... many times...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply