Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Truck Hero" buys Omix-Ada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Truck Hero" buys Omix-Ada
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Mark, 

I understand your skepticism..

Omix made a decision years ago not to invest in the quality of parts for the vintage vehicles, (they don't have the expertise) and it had a limited affect on their sales of the higher profit accessories for newer vehicles.
[

Yet they say "highest quality restoration and replacement parts by passionate, skilled, engineering and product management enthusiasts. Don't have the expertise? seems a little flimsy of an excuse. Antique American motorcycle enthusiasts had the same problems, but now I see quality replacement heads and cylinders manufactured in America. I think your right about pay to play though. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

That's actually the enterprising young company I had in mind....I hope it works out.

Quality travels by word of mouth very well among enthusiasts.

Roc, I hope it works out well, also...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

As usual Oilly you beat me to it.

I was going to say three words. Joes - Motor-Pool.

Parts made from the original specs.
I haven't tried anything from Joe's yet, but I like their philosophy.

The manufacture of SAE standard parts on metric based metal working equipment like the Chinese are trying to do leaves a lot of problems with fits and tolerances for the end user. (us!)

Some parts have close enough operating tolerances that even if the metric based part is close, it isn't close enough. I personally have had to rework many parts that should have just simply fit. I have the capabilities, but I shouldn't have to, and that isn't going to help the person that doesn't have the equipment to make small "adjustments" to Chinese parts.

Omix-ADA's sale could be a good thing, or it could turn out to be a dead end...we will have to see.

...as Willy M said "Usually a vacuum gets filled." We can only hope that it gets filled with someone who is interested in quality parts production.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 7:03pm
That's actually the enterprising young company I had in mind....I hope it works out.

Quality travels by word of mouth very well among enthusiasts.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 6:45pm
As usual Oilly you beat me to it.

I was going to say three words. Joes - Motor-Pool.

Parts made from the original specs.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 6:39pm
Joe's Motor Pool, and Ron Fitzpatrick are already upgrading things. Their prices amaze me with how they can offer so reasonable. Lots of competition in the Old Willys Parts business. You also wonder how long they will stay around. I'm glad they are there. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 6:22pm

But that might just open the door to some enterprising young company to make those parts for us or would it?
One of the problems with enterprising young companies is not the fabrication of quality parts, but getting the word out to people interested in buying those parts. Fabrication of quality parts is easy as long as the fabricator makes quality a priority. Advertising quality parts is an expensive proposition even if the parts are exact duplicate of original parts and of the highest quality. Most startups don't have the funds to advertise properly because the money has been spent on the equipment to produce the parts. The new company would have to build up an inventory of parts to ship, tying up even more money. because if you don't have the parts to ship when the order comes in, the buyer looks elsewhere.

Then there is the issue of pricing parts. If you are producing a high quality U.S. made OEM duplicate drag link kit, for example, you can market it for say $30.00 at suggested list . The China made kit sells for $20.00 at list and really doesn't come close to OEM specs and half the parts aren't usable because they don't fit. How do you convince the buyer that yours is a better deal? Or perhaps, the real question is how do you convince the distributors like Walck's, Kaiser-Willys, et al, that your drag link kit is a better deal. Without distributors that will buy from you then you are on your own and advertising will eat you alive.

It isn't easy to be a small U.S. based manufacturer producing high quality parts for a very limited market. (How many drag link kits that fit 46 to 71 CJ's and M models are needed each year?) Most of us have complained about quality issues of Omix-ADA and MD Juan parts, but would enough of us be willing to pay the extra that it requires to have U.S. built high quality exact duplicate OEM parts?

I'm not sure...it's either and opportunity or there is too much involved in getting a start-up going...

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 5:28pm

But that might just open the door to some enterprising young company to make those parts for us or would it?

I've heard of a company in Ramsey, IL. He makes great quality parts, but the owner has taken to traveling and enjoying the jeep life! LOL Thumbs Up 

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 5:24pm
I remember discussing this issue heavily on the way to Alaska this summer. The problem with making parts is the upfront cost.

I used brake pedals as an example. You have to design and make the molds for the pedal, which takes a lot of time and money, then how many brake pedals do you make at one time? 200, 500?

How long is it until you sell enough of them to start making money on the venture? Now multiply that by all of the parts you'd like to see made!

If I had the money, I would certainly go down this road, making quality parts for guys who need them, but sadly, until that big lottery win comes through...
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:37pm

That's my hope.  Usually a vacuum gets filled.  

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:14pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 4:06pm
Joe, - I hope the big company ownership does not decide to stop producing the low volume parts that don't have a lot of profit for them.  Easy for some accountant to just kill the slow movers.  

We will hope for the best.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 3:32pm
Hmmmm, wonder what happens to the Omix Jeep collection??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 3:05pm
Mark, 

I understand your skepticism. Especially considering the skills you have demonstrated in designing and fabricating your own parts.

This isn't just two companies. It's one company that was a sole proprietor since inception being sold to another larger company with a different viewpoint.

Omix made a decision years ago not to invest in the quality of parts for the vintage vehicles, (they don't have the expertise) and it had a limited affect on their sales of the higher profit accessories for newer vehicles. One industry insider told me that the profit from floormats, lights, and bumpers supports all the other parts.

I'm just suggesting this may be a chance for some new influence.

I think when it comes to the collector market it is going to be play or go home.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 1:19pm
How does one US company buying another US company lead one to think the parts made off shore will improve in quality? Sure it might happen but there's nothing to make me think the parts sources will change.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 6:12am
Interesting news, Keith.  How does this play into/with the Polaris/TAP acquisition?  I know that TAP owns and controls a large portion of the offroad aftermarket (maybe all of it essentially?).  Is there any affiliation or whollly-owned subsidiary ties between Truck Hero/Omix-ADA/TAP/Polaris?  To me, there seems to be the appearance of a lot of "customer options" out there that really aren't.  These products are produced by only a few manufacturers and sold through several "different" companies that are actually owned by just one or two corporate holding companies, e.g. TAP. 
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 5:58am
Interesting read as I have never heard of Truck Hero before. EmbarrassedConfused
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 5:21am
For those of you that may not receive mailings from SEMA, Truck Hero is headquartered in Ann Arbor Michigan.

This either opens the door to better parts for vintage Jeeps, or reduces or eliminates the supply completely.

It's too early to tell.
 Post Reply Post Reply