Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your Jeep today - January 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your Jeep today - January 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 2:36am
Steelyard, thanks for the Luzon Red mix info! Your tailgate pic looks good in terms of color. It's a very tricky one to nail. My 2A has been in my family since new, and the entire underbody beneath the cargo floor is almost pristine original color--thanks to the rear axle spraying a coating of lubricant over the years! The lube protected the paint and, cleaned off, it should offer an honest color for scanning at the local PPG shop.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:09am
Luzon,
That sounds familiar:

I would be interested in what you get from a scan. Soak the underside in ZEP Industrial Purple degreaser from HD. Use a garden sprayer to soak over a few days. Strong stuff. Be careful with it.

I probably had a better spot to scan but I didn't want to ask them to completely crawl under. I might buff out a spot and see if they will scan again. Just curious to see if there is any difference. I pulled the dash plate but someone had already painted over the original.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:13am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:13am
I'm a few months away from finishing my chassis restoration and turning to the tub repair, but plan to document the Luzon Red scanning, the resulting paint mix by the pro paint shop, and how it looks when I shoot it. Hopefully this will contribute to our collective knowledge of this particular paint color.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:17am
Hah! What a coincidence! I do remember that string with the orange jeep from a while back. Same situation as mine--grease has preserved the original paint color underneath. Thanks for the ZEP tip. I'll let everybody know what I come up with, probably by summertime.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:22am
My tub is removed so I plan to trailer the tub, with bottom side facing up, about 2 miles to my local auto paint supplier who has scanning equipment.

Also, both my tub's firewall and dashboard are in original Luzon Red and would only require a very slight rub with compound to bring out the original factory color--or close enough to it to satisfy me.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 10:53am
Your going to have to do something about the name of the paint though, Toyota paint on a 47 Willys?? It's like Bruce W said in previous post about Honda parts on the same bench as Willy's parts "might cause some kinda of reaction probably not good" Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

To Steelyard: Would you mind sharing the paint brand and mix formulation for your Luzon Red?

Also, what did you use for primer (brand, type, color)?

Luzon Red is among the most mysterious paint colors for early Willys jeep (2A, 3A, wagon, Jeepster) restorers. The more info we all have, the closer we can nail the color.

Thank you.

LuzonRed47,
Check out my post from this old thread. About 3/4 of the way down.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic16517.html
Bob
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:13pm
FlattiesRule: Thanks for vectoring me to this discussion. I actually had saved a few of these 2A Page comments previously. Did you end up repainting your '47 in a more correct color mix? I'd love to see some close-up pics if you have them to share.

ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:17pm
Not much snow.  1946 CJ2A with early Meyers plow T5 pump.  Manual Angle.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 5:31pm
I pressed the wheel studs out of my 9" hub and drum assemblies on the front set of brakes in preparation to installing new studs and 11" drums.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 6:38pm
An emergency brake only a mother could love:

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 11:19pm
More snow - Daylight plowing with a 1946
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:13pm
I took the jeep over to Spokane on Sunday and scored another set of 96 Geo Tracker disks and calipers.

I'm getting geared up for some top work and two more corners of disk brakes.Thumbs Up

Royal Upholstery in Spokane also had the 30ga DOT approved window vinyl for my replacement windows. Ditto the common sense fasteners, tool, and extreme-duty snaps.

I also picked up a 10x20 'portable' carport from from my uncle in Pasco. I need to get it set up for winter jeep parking. I just have to blow two-foot-deep snow out of it's spot first.

[edit]
oh, I think my wife is getting me a JD Squared Model 3 tubing bender as a combo b-day/xmas present. WOOT!!!

Edited by LesBerg - 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:16pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 6:04pm
I've been procrastinating over pulling my tranny for a rebuild. So instead, I've been finding less important small jobs to keep me busy. I've spent the last couple of nights trying to straighten my front bumper. It has all the tell tale bends of many adventures with a chain. I don't have a hydraulic press so I've been using my bench vise, a big hammer and chunks of wood to straighten out the bends and waves. Last night I successfully executed driving over it to straighten out the last big bend.  

It's not perfect and has a lot of extra holes, but it is good enough. I have to cut a hole in it anyway when I get around to fitting my Koenig winch. Now it just needs a little paint. One of the vertical bolts that goes through the tube is rusted solid. So far PB Blaster and a large hammer has not come close to budging it. Looks like heat and then a drill bit are next in line.  
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

I've been procrastinating over pulling my tranny for a rebuild. So instead, I've been finding less important small jobs to keep me busy. I've spent the last couple of nights trying to straighten my front bumper. It has all the tell tale bends of many adventures with a chain. I don't have a hydraulic press so I've been using my bench vise, a big hammer and chunks of wood to straighten out the bends and waves. Last night I successfully executed driving over it to straighten out the last big bend.  

It's not perfect and has a lot of extra holes, but it is good enough. I have to cut a hole in it anyway when I get around to fitting my Koenig winch. Now it just needs a little paint. One of the vertical bolts that goes through the tube is rusted solid. So far PB Blaster and a large hammer has not come close to budging it. Looks like heat and then a drill bit are next in line.  

I admire your can-do effort to straighten out that bumper without a press.  I did that kind of thing a lot for many years. I finally broke down and bought a decent 20 ton Harbor Freight press a while back.  For around $150 is a bargain that's hard to beat.  Since then I've pimped mine a bit adding accessories and improvements to it. I use it for a lot of things, its a very handy tool to have.  Its something to consider.  I also have a 3 ton Dake arbor press for smaller jobs.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 6:59pm
That's a nice setup you have. I am currently limited on space so I try to weigh size and how often I'd use it before adding to my tools. If space wasn't a concern, I go out tomorrow and buy a press, drill press and Bridgeport. Well assuming I got permission from the wife Wink 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 7:22pm
I hear ya, there is never enough space!  I have the 20 ton on castors so I can roll it around and out of the way as needed. It still takes a little space, but not much. Being mobile, I can move it out of the way easily if needed.  Its surprising how many uses there are for one. I use mine a lot more than I thought I would. I added a metal brake, that is really nice for fabrication, and I can even split a few pieces of wood for the backyard firepit if needed. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 9:21pm
is that brake your own design, or something from SWAG Offroad?

I need to pull my trans too. Second pops out so bad I can't downshift for braking. Almost like the current owner missed setting up the mainshaft correctly the last time it was out... Ouch

Edited by LesBerg - 16 Jan. 2018 at 9:24pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>