Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018
    Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 10:03am
Rick g  this  is what John sent me:

Sent by : Fltfndr
Sent : 02 Feb. 2019 at 6:12pm

Hi Rick

Tires are 7.00 X 15 Power King Extra Traction Still have Mfg tits on them. On the ground for two days a BHR last year.

Wheels are 5" X 15", 5 on 5 1/2" Blasted and painted a tan color
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Now, if I can find someone to buy my skinny tires and wheels.
Fltfndr

What are they?  I might be in the market for some.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 10:08pm
What size are they? Buy high sell cheep!!!
Shack
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 10:06pm
X 2 John. Enjoyed my past two years, in spite of breaking down the first year and the moisture last year. I realize the labor involved in hosting this rally and certainly appreciate it. Good Luck in the future!

Now, if I can find someone to buy my skinny tires and wheels.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 2:29pm
Thanks, John...understood!  I don't blame you a bit.  These events have to be a huge undertaking and I for one can't thank you guys enough for all of the effort you have put in over the years.  For a long time now I've been one to caution:  "call something paradise, and kiss it goodby", to poach an old Eagles line.  Thankful I got to attend in the past, but will sure miss it in the future.  Maybe some other smaller events will spring up in time.  Thanks a lot, John.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 11:48am
Hi all! Thanks for your interest in the BHR. These meets have been so successful and fun that they have over run the organizers. So, if they continue to grow , which they are, they have to be limited somehow or they will become too large to handle. My BHR is at this point now. 

So, how do you limit the numbers????????????????

1. Registration

2. invitation only

3. random generator?

Rain ruined the BHR last year. I mean monsoon, not just evening showers. After 9 months of planning, prep., and recon, I was sad to say the least. Then came Bruce's run, and Mike's FCT. Bruce's run was fairly small and enjoyable and Mike's meet was unbelievable. So huge, it was a city. i realized right then that the BHR was following the same course. 

I can't handle that much. I've decided to NOT Announce. It generates more and more people. I'm sorry to do this, but it's time. The posting of pictures and bragging only increases interest for others to attend, and frankly kills the meet. Someone else will have to organize and lead another meet. Facilities can not handle any more. 

I wish to remain your friend. Contact me privately if you want to discuss things.  The original idea of the BHR was to reciprocate to Mike and Bruce for giving me a fun Jeep event, not get into a commercial venture or Jeep Jamboree. 

Sincerely, John

Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 4:20am
that's a good question Tom I haven't heard a thing either. I see Mike has announced. I gotta get in gear and fill out the application. Last time I talked to John he was undecided.
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 2:01am
Normally by now we may have heard of an upcoming Black Hills event in June.  Does anybody know if there will be a 2019 event?  Did I miss the launch party?  Thanks a lot!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 6:50pm
All good stuff to hear - thanks Mike, and thanks so much to you and John for hosting these events.  You guys rock!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

After I left the BHR, I spent a couple of weeks jeeping around the Big Horn mountains in WY and the Little Belt mountains in central MT.  This was the first time I used my teardrop camper off-road and it worked pretty well.  Hoping for an encore offroad camping experience at FCT.  Thinking of maybe Mt Princeton either before or after FCT starts.  I'll have to clear that with the FCT host.  I hear he's tough but fair....  :)

Pulling a trailer on the trails adds a new dimension to the general offroad experience.  Beware of trying to descend steep, loose rocks with a trailer that lacks brakes.   Driver control gets a bit tenuous.  It's worth it at night, though!  Few things compare to a comfy memory foam mattress at day's end.

Alan, there are good roads and bad roads here in our valley for hauling a trailer out into the forest.  I'd be glad to share the good ones with you. Thumbs Up  I've hauled my M100 out to a camp site a couple of times.  In fact I have about a half dozen good sites in mind just now depending on how grand a view you'd like to wake up to, or how secret and private you'd like your site to be.  You are welcome to come early, and/or stay late from the FCT dates.  For a fellow brother-at-arms, and 2012 Convoy participant, my door/yard/shop is always open to you.  Handshake  Before FCT I'll be busy so you may have to fly solo.  After FCT I could join you to guide you to some of my favorite camp sites.  And speaking of trailer brakes, I have an axle you might want to try.  Wink

And before I forget to mention it, Oilly had a good visit with the local FS Ranger recently.  The FS didn't put any other restrictions on John's plans for BHR, and they said they liked our portable toilets.  I suspect they appreciated the fact that we exercised restraint and didn't tear up the trails or the camp meadow when they were so muddy.  So it looks like next June we'll be good to go for fulfilling Oilly's plans for primitive camping, and Jeeping in the Black Hills. Big smile

Edited by m38mike - 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:23pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 3:40am
Alan, it was a pleasure to meet & spend a little trail time with you I hope we can do more in the future perhaps a "Rondevue" in the Little Belts is in our future

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:45am
I really did have a good time, John!  The only thing that "sucked" was the only thing that you could not control.  Everything else was perfect.   I got to know more of the great folks that post here.  I finally learned how "Lead" is properly pronounced.  I got to spend time with those great folks.  I got to see some gorgeous country.

Heck... that weather?  I drove to Ohio this week from SW Oregon.  There were visible fires in Oregon -- the smoke was really bad west of Bend -- and smoke was in the air all the way into western Nebraska on I80.  I didn't mind the Black Hills rain.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:29am
After I left the BHR, I spent a couple of weeks jeeping around the Big Horn mountains in WY and the Little Belt mountains in central MT.  This was the first time I used my teardrop camper off-road and it worked pretty well.  Hoping for an encore offroad camping experience at FCT.  Thinking of maybe Mt Princeton either before or after FCT starts.  I'll have to clear that with the FCT host.  I hear he's tough but fair....  :)

Pulling a trailer on the trails adds a new dimension to the general offroad experience.  Beware of trying to descend steep, loose rocks with a trailer that lacks brakes.   Driver control gets a bit tenuous.  It's worth it at night, though!  Few things compare to a comfy memory foam mattress at day's end.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:28am
Alan, I enjoyed spending some time with you and am blown away at how positive a attitude you have. I'm glad it wasn't a total loss in your eyes. I find just spending time with all these fine folks a pleasure. We didn't get the reward we were planning, but don't worry, we aren't finished with this plan. Wink Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:00am
I'm probably the last guy to make it home from BHR.  I just pulled in on Thurs night.  John, I had an absolutely wonderful time at my inaugural BHR.  It was very interesting and most cool just to navigate to an obscure point in the Black Hills National Forest to join the crew... heck, that part alone was worth the trip.   I was able to stick around with Stan and Jeff for a few days after most others left and it was well-worth it.  Riding with Stan is one of life's amazing experiences and I enjoyed it thoroughly - thanks Stan for keeping us from getting lost in the rain and for sharing a seat on Hal John's on Tuesday!  Thank you, Lee and Ava for sharing the quick trip up to the waterfall on Thursday.  Thank you John for the superb hosting job and for letting me camp in your shop!  I've never before had the chance to spend the night with such a sweet car collection.  I will most definitely be back for another BHR should the host be willing.  It all made for serious fun... damp at times, yes... but serious fun!
Alan
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:32am
I'd love a repeat, WITHOUT the rain!! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:12am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:38am
As will we
Glen
49 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>