Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2018!! - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2018 - 22 Sep. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 8:16pm
Hi Guys,
This is the guy with the broken tranny on that last trip over by Garfield Mine.  I have not started any indepth analysis of the problem yet, going to pull the top off the tranny this afternoon, will keep you posted.  I do really appreciate all the help we received in the diagnosis on the trail, it was really fun to hear each of you as you listened to the jeep, diagnosed compared notes and thoughts.  It was really a great collaborative moment.  I got a lot out of it.  I also want to thank Mike and Nancy for their hospitality and generosity.  That was a huge event and they did a great job pulling it off.  My only suggestion would be that in the future if we can find a way to sign up for work details so we as a group can take some of the load off of their shoulders it would be cool.

So as for Triple X and the mysterious noise, when we climbed that last little hill out of the mine, I noticed that the noise in the tranny changed, it wasn't as loud as previously.  It may be that the little hill accelerated the wear and caused some extended damage,  or the magical jeep self healing function was initiated.  Not betting on that one, however when I got home and unloaded the trailer, I ran the jeep up and down the driveway in various gears to try and get a little more info.  Upon parking it, while at idle I heard a series of clunks, chunks and bangs, so what to my wondering ears did appear, but the sound of repairs with no mechanic near....  Self healing program was initiated...

More late, keep you posted.
Todd

Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 8:59pm
Gunslinger, Glad to see you are keeping a good humor about it. I would be quite nervous not knowing for sure. These jeeps are getting up in years so anything can happen no matter how well we keep them up! Good luck and I hope it isn't any thing serious.  Mike
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 9:07pm
Gun,
I'm so glad to have finally met you.  I hope you will be back for another round.

These Rocky Mountains have a way of exposing weaknesses in our little Willys Jeeps.  I do wish you would have let us open it up for a peek.  Odds are, this group could have pulled it, rebuilt it, and had you back on the trail the next morning.  I'm always amazed at the skill-set on display at this event.

Tim

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 11:56pm
Thanks Tim,
I too was pleased to meet you and all of the other guys I've chatted with over the years.  Aboyandhisdog, Tumbleweed, Kansascat, M38MIke, too many to list.  And we are definitely planning on attending next year.  It was great !

I am absolutely sure you guys could have pulled it, fixed it and got her up running again, however I was too wore out !  I did start on the diagnosis today, I will start another thread in general discussion area so you guys can weigh in, I've already got questions for you !!  Lets get dirty !!
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I guess I might have scared Alan a little bit.  Looks like he’s trying to bail out.  Maybe he’s just holding on tight, I couldn’t tell because I had my eyes closed.Pinch

I was just displaying operational risk management principles, per my USAF training.  I trusted the driver with my life!  :)

This was the "gatekeeper" obstacle at the start of the trail to Grizzly lake, I think.  Thanks to Rick for inviting me along.  It was epic, just like everything at FCT!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 1:27am
The jeeps and people are just fantastic at FCT.  I met Rick and Donalee two years ago at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Last year I was able to see them again in Amarillo and it was an honor to ride with Rick this year on the more difficult trails - thanks so much!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 2:38am
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

Gunslinger, Glad to see you are keeping a good humor about it. I would be quite nervous not knowing for sure. These jeeps are getting up in years so anything can happen no matter how well we keep them up! Good luck and I hope it isn't any thing serious.  Mike

Still way easier to work on that modern cars.  They are way more mechanical than lectrical.  Whereas the opposite is almost true of modern cars.  Now Id really be a nervous wreck if I heard that clanking in my 2014 vehicle.
In the Jeep it'd more of an annoyance, akin to having to fix sprinkers.  LOL
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 2:41am
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

The jeeps and people are just fantastic at FCT.  I met Rick and Donalee two years ago at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Last year I was able to see them again in Amarillo and it was an honor to ride with Rick this year on the more difficult trails - thanks so much!

It was nice to be able to be camp mates Alan and many times, trail buddies.  I hope to see ya next year.  Or maybe even in Oregon.Wink
Brett
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 3:11am
This was our second FCT. My brother and sis-in-law, Brian and Kim, my wife,  Bonnie and me (the other Bruce) enjoyed the trails this year much more than 2017. The trees were more colorful and the weather near perfect. Thanks so much to Mike and Nancy for opening their home, ranch, and shop to all of us. 

I would like to thank all who attempted to get us and running along side the road on Tuesday morning. After it was determined we had no spark, we tried two different coils, two different sets of points, and two different condensers but to no avail. Back in the shop on Tuesday night, Steve's sharp eye saw a little spark at the pivot point on the points that should not have been there that could not be seen in the daylight on the side of the road. The hot post on the side of the distributor was shorting out on the distributor outside case. Joe carefully disassembled the distributor expecting to see a bad insulating grommet on the post. The grommet was good, but there was just enough oily dirt around the post to conduct electricity and short everything out. After cleaning things up, my Jeep fired right up. Thanks again to all who assisted. And thanks to Mike and Nancy for letting Brian and Kim ride with them, John and Joan for letting Bonnie ride with them and Jeff for letting me ride with him on the remainder of the Tuesday ride. 

We are already anxious for FCT 2019!

Here are a few of our favorite pics from 2018:

Lining up for the group shot - a little too close!

How many ladies can fit into a Mighty Mite? The answer: 17!

Tried two coils, two sets of points, two condensers, and still no spark.

Most people didn't know we had TV personalities on the FCT.  Meet Bruce Wayne and Joe Friday.

Airing down.

Selfie on a dusty road! (Bonding time with my brother.)

Breaktime with the aspens.

Beautiful Tuesday scenery.

Another great Tuesday pic.

Bruce
1949 2A
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2018 at 3:23am
Great pics, Bruce (the other one) and it was a really good week trail driving with the four of you!  Hope to see you again next summer if not sooner.Thumbs Up
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 11:46pm
Here's a quick video of the Grizzly Lake Gatekeeper.  I got there too late to film Brian, Dylan, Fuzz, and Dale making their way easily over the rock.  I, however, had a slightly more difficult time traversing the obstacle.  But, with their help, and the aid of my trusty good-luck passenger, Alan, I did accomplish the task to which I endeavored.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2018 at 12:23am
Ok, first of all I keep forgetting that I'm that bald.  Why the heck did I take my hat off?

Second, the gatekeeper obstacle seems very formidable when a guy is actually staring at it... much more formidable than it looks in this video.  My MB would not have made it past the first rock. Rick did an excellent job!  I was glad to share his success!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2018 at 12:26am
A cool thing about FCT is watching drivers and jeeps grow ever better over time.  Rick and Gus are a perfect example of that.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 10:59am
Thursday evening we had our annual Pot Luck Buffet, and Kate took some photos for me to share.  Thanks Kate.  I was too busy socializing and getting ready for the raffle afterwards.  In years past we've always set up the food in our kitchen and had the tables and chairs in the big room downstairs.  This year we simply had too many folks for that to work.  So while many of us were out Jeeping, a crew of wonderful folks stayed behind and set up the shop for our feast.  I just wish I had a photo of all the great food that was prepared for this meal.  Can anyone find Bruce (aka B-dubya), one of the great tour guides in this photo?  How about Rick Pe'we', writer for JP magazine?  How about Fred Caldwell, author of "Preproduction Civilian Jeeps" and other great books in the Willys world.  

The crowd was so large they spilled out into the driveway in front of the shop.   Here we see Alan (tamnalan) and Jeff (jpet) enjoying their dinner and talking about Jeeping.  Alan is modeling the T-shirts that Sarah designed for us this year.  

Here we see John and Carol Trumpe, leaders of the Black Hills Run, talking with Tiny and Sarah, our T-shirt providers, and Randy and Barb, long time regular participants from Illinois.  Is that Elise, Lee's sister, stuffing her winning tickets in the raffle buckets in the back of the shop?  

And speaking of Raffles, I'd like to thank Warn Winches for providing the highest valued prize of the evening.  The Warn Epic Recovery Kit with pack and winching accessories.  The Winner of this kit was young Dylan Lippoldt from Kansas.  We hope he enjoys a lifetime of Jeeping with this kit.  

Here I am with Jim, the winner of the Kaiser-Willys $250 gift certificate.  My great thanks to Kaiser-Willys for providing several gift certificates along with T-shirts, hats, and other items.  

Young Wade won the Kaiser-Willys $150 gift certificate.  I hope he'll use this to get his M38 ready for the next FCT.  

Here is Joe, winner of the first Rugged Radio that was drawn.  My thanks to Rugged Radio for donating a pair of radios with accessories for the raffle.  They also provided a banner which we hung from the rafters.  It can be seen in the dinner photos above.  

Wait!  What's this??  Jim wins again?!  Yes his ticket was drawn for the second Rugged Radio.  Congratulations Jim on your second big win for the evening! 

The raffle continued with dozens of other prizes.  It was a great way to end the day.  But wait.  The day wasn't done.  What??  That's right.  Arick had a Jeep with a bad engine knock, so a rebuild was in order.  And rebuild it they did.  It was a team effort, with many folks simply looking on to get an idea what the inside of the engine looks like.  

Here they are bolting the pushrods onto the crankshaft.  They worked on this until Midnight when they were first able to fire it up and take it for a test drive.  Arick felt it ran well enough that he was on the trails for the next two days with it.  Not bad for a hasty engine rebuild.  One of the pistons had broken and parts of the rings were imbedded in the top of the piston. Fortunately the cylinder wall was not scored.  

Just another great day at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch during the Fall Color Tours. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 5:00pm
Here's another flatfender "high adventure" video.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 6:03pm
Mike and Rick,  Thanks for the photos and video.  This was an epic gathering of Jeeps and Ruthie and I are glad we were able to be a part of it. 

Till we Jeep again.  Tom

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Here's another flatfender "high adventure" video.

Great video!  We had a lot of fun that day with the Quazzy 8s. It did occur to me though that we have done Chinaman’s the last 3 years (the only 3 years we have been to FCT) and every year somebody has been up on their driver’s side 2 tires. Guess we will see who’s turn it is next year. 

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

It did occur to me though that we have done Chinaman’s the last 3 years (the only 3 years we have been to FCT) and every year somebody has been up on their driver’s side 2 tires. Guess we will see who’s turn it is next year. 

Wish it would be me, but alas I am stuck here in Jr. High for at least 5 more years. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 39>