Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing Puller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing Puller
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 11:55pm
I have been using a clam style bearing puller from Harbor Freight. I was able to easily get off the pinion bearings without hurting the cages.

However, when I went to pull the carrier bearings It was yanking up on the cage (I was able to get it off) but it bent the cage up a little bit.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with damaging the case, but I wanted to use these as setup bearings.

Any tips for removing the carrier bearings for the future without damaging the case?

Thanks.
JS
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:51am
What is a "clam style" bearing puller? Show us a picture and maybe we can help suggest something better.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 3:44pm
This is what I perceived as 'clam style' - 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 4:33pm
Dana didn't offer a lot of room for pulling bearings off of diffy cases. What you have is a nice puller, but it doesn't work well in the situation of pulling bearings off of Dana diffy cases. It will work on the ring gear side is you put the flat side against the bearing. There isn't enough room on the bolt side of the case to do the same thing. I use a standard two jaw puller on both bearings; one that is small enough to get behind the bearing and into the case indent. Yes, I had to grind down part of the jaw to fit the indent, but I have used the same puller for years.

HTH, good luck, and let us know how things turn out.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 4:40pm
JS,

I just did this on my D25 front axle using the same puller.

Wish I had taken a picture.

I really had to fuss with it to get the nuts on the  studs that  hold the two sides of the "clam shell" together. They really weren't long enough and I could only get one or two threads on each side to start with. After I got them started I was able to slowly tighten it down so that the wedge part would squeeze between the bearing and the shoulder it seats against. If I remember correctly, it would only fit one way. By that, I mean the slope on the clam shell had to be a certain orientation to fit between the bearing and shoulder. I can't remember which way worked though. 

Once I got the contraption tightened up enough to get behind the bearing, not just the cage, I then had to find a socket that was just the right size to fit in the hole of the bearing, but still press up against the "pipe" part of the carrier that the bearing fits around.  Then I found a little piece of scrap steel plate to cover the hole in the socket so the puller had something to push against.

When I finally got all that lined out, it pulled right off, no problem. It did bugger up the shims behind the bearing a little, but I flattened them back out with a  hammer before they went back in behind the new bearing.

Hope that helps.

Edited by smfulle - 18 Jan. 2018 at 9:55pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 9:37pm
Thank you for the tips.
I will try this again using that advice when I am taking apart the front end.

Thank you!
JS
 Post Reply Post Reply