Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ3 aluminum top on CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ3 aluminum top on CJ2A
    Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 5:27pm
Came across an aluminum top for a CJ3A. The top needs a little work, but overall is in pretty decent shape. I am looking for a top my 2A. I know the windshields are different and the 3A top would need some modifications to fit the windshield. My question is: are there any other problems I would run into with fit besides the windshield. I thought maybe I would pick up the windshield for the 3a and just use it when the top is on, if not the 3a top would need to be modified. Any thoughts?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 4:49am
Trying to remove/replace a windshield frame by oneself can be difficult sometimes.  If you have help, it might be feasible to just swap w/s frames as necessary.  Without help, one of those times you'll scratch the heck out of your paint. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 1:55pm
I have a 3A hard top that I have used from time to time on my 1946 CJ2A.  I have used a CJ3A windshield and it fits great on the CJ2A.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
likeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 5:51pm
I think I will see if I can pick it up at a reasonable price. This jeep won’t be seeing a garage and mostly just want it for the winters to keep the rain out. Winters are pretty mild here in California, so at least I don’t have to deal with snow. I’ll still have the original 2a indshield if I want the correct look. Has anybody here massaged a 3a top to fit a 2a windshield? Just looking at all options. Thanks for the input.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 6:15pm
  The MB/GPW windshield is 2" shorter than the CJ2-A version. When a top was bought for an MB/GPW it was a 2A top but came with a spacer to fill the gap between the top and the windshield. Maybe you could fashion a similar spacer to make your 3A top fit your 2A windshield.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by likeg likeg wrote:

Has anybody here massaged a 3a top to fit a 2a windshield? Just looking at all options. Thanks for the input.

I have done the opposite. I have a 2A top on my '47 but a 3A windshield.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:35pm
Take a look at this.  It is a riser for a 2A windshield to work with a 3A top.  Looks like something that could be made up in a home shop.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
likeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Take a look at this.  It is a riser for a 2A windshield to work with a 3A top.  Looks like something that could be made up in a home shop.

Fabricating a spacer like that is definitely an option, and doesn’t look to difficult. I’m going to try and get the 3A windshield and the top. If that’s not an option then I’ll go with the top and a spacer. My original thought was to fab a piece of aluminum to the top and down to the windshield, but the spacer looks like a much easier option.
 Post Reply Post Reply