Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with this T90?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 12:05pm
Thanks Guys, its been a real learning curve, but a very satisfying too.  Mike F, please start a thread on your T90 rebuild.  I think we all learn something from everyone's experiences.  I'll do they same for the D18 shortly.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 2:49pm
Steve,
I usually get all caught up in what I’m doing and forget to take the pictures. Doing the transmission though it might be a good way to slow things down. Glad to hear your doing the transfer case also. My plan is to get them both done before the Oregon spring reunion. Stan showed me how to get them out and back in. Your showing me how to fix them.  So, now it’s up to me. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 3:10pm
I saw Stan's install thread, great info.  I find taking photos as I take it apart really helps when it comes time to put it back together. Since digital photos cost nothing, I take a lot.  I haven't posted all the photos I took, since they were for my reference.  But I'm glad I took them.  I had the Stivers video up on my tablet as I was assembling. I'd watch him do a step, then stop the video and do it myself, then start it again or repeat as needed.  I tried to keep one pinky finger grease free to tap the screen to start and stop.  I was successfully most of the timeLOL
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 4:27pm
Sound like my plan Steve.  Just need to stick to it.  We'll see how it goes. 
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 5:15pm
Those completed photos are quite the reward for a terrific effort.

I bookmarked the Stiver's youtube page for my future use.

Ok, now, as I look at my Bookmarks on my laptop, the Willys page is by far the fullest, and I am wondering at which point I should stop bookmarking, and just do a "search" on our 2A page for future info. :)

I am also hoping I can remember about those Crown rectangular-body clips.

So, if I understand correctly, the OMIX clips have the round-body like orig. ?
And they seem to work properly for the rebuilds ?

I am hoping to refurb my T-90 in summer of 2019.

Thanks guys !

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 20 Dec. 2018 at 5:17pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Those completed photos are quite the reward for a terrific effort.

I bookmarked the Stiver's youtube page for my future use.

Ok, now, as I look at my Bookmarks on my laptop, the Willys page is by far the fullest, and I am wondering at which point I should stop bookmarking, and just do a "search" on our 2A page for future info. :)

I am also hoping I can remember about those Crown rectangular-body clips.

So, if I understand correctly, the OMIX clips have the round-body like orig. ?
And they seem to work properly for the rebuilds ?

I am hoping to refurb my T-90 in summer of 2019.

Thanks guys !

Len

While you are bookmarking, don't forget the schnitzlhaus and metal shaper T90 videos.  I picked up different and helpful tips from each one.  But I primarily followed the Stivers series, but the info from the other two helped clarify things.   
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 11:21pm
I finally got the full face front gasket from Brian today. No thanks to the USPS that lost the package for almost a week. Grrrrr.

The gasket is laser cut and perfect. This will be a big help in reducing leaks from the front side.  He makes other gaskets too - all laser cut. 

markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 11:39pm
Not sure if you used the sealed bearing or not. But if you did, would you still need the gasket on the front?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 11:47pm
I used the sealed bearing, but oil could still work around the outsude of it. Then there are the oil collector bolt holes and countershaft. These are all potential leak points. This gasket covers them. Nothing is 100%, but this should help.
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 1:37am
I got the idea for the full face gasket from the T84.  I did the full face mainly for the countershaft, but also noticed the paper thin gaskets did not seal correctly with the bearing I used (NOS sealed SKF).  After doing it, I never got a drop out of the bellhousing (also replaced my rear main with a sneaky pete).  I do get some leaks out of the D18 yokes but not terrible.  I still have my temp T90 in it now as I want to get the Warn OD installed, but that's been 2 years now :)

Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 1:56am
I wish I could help you more, I used to rebuild Jeep gear boxes after high school. It didn't matter, transmissions, transfer cases, axles, engines? Tear down a couple, clean them up and rebuild them the next afternoon. I didn't know how well I had it. The room next door was filled with OEM parts. I never thought that I should be taking notes.
uncamonkey
Floater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 11:22am
What is a "sneaky pete"?

"More time under it than in it..."

M201 Super Jeep
Plattsburgh, NY
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Floater Floater wrote:

What is a "sneaky pete"?

it's used for pulling a seal around the top of the crankshaft in place, as opposed to dropping the crank
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Floater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 2:30pm
Ahhh! Thanks very much for the info - never knew such a thing existed.
"More time under it than in it..."

M201 Super Jeep
Plattsburgh, NY
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 3:05pm
Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 2:23pm
I'm venturing into the land of rebuilding t-90s and d18s right now. I have both removed from my Empire tractor and an in the inspections/cleaning phase. Tonight I am tearing apart a second unit to hopefully use to scavenge parts from. This rebuild guide should help out quite a bit.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

I'm venturing into the land of rebuilding t-90s and d18s right now. I have both removed from my Empire tractor and an in the inspections/cleaning phase. Tonight I am tearing apart a second unit to hopefully use to scavenge parts from. This rebuild guide should help out quite a bit.

Glad it will be helpful.  I learned at lot tearing down my two T90s and rebuilding one good one.  I'm in the middle of the D18 project now.  Two of those torn down also.  See my thread in the tech questions sub-forum.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345