Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - August 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 9:12pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 9:14pm
Mounted the left fender and marked the new positions for the bolts. Almost finished with the brake system. Going to have to replace the "Y" at the master cylinder. One of the lines is leaking. Did some welding on the tail gate...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 9:15pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 11:00pm
I painted the inside of my tail light housings white.  Thought that might result in a brighter tail light.  I do not really know as I do not have a light meter.  While I had the white spray can out I painted the inside of two ammo cans white.  Will see how this works out.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 1:52am
Well it was actually yesterday but, took a little road trip to pick up a roll bar.  In good shape just needs quick sand and paint.  Test fit pic

Also decided for now I am just going to re-cover the front seats myself to keep cost down until I really see how I am going to use the jeep.  So i cleaned the back seat to see if there is any chance I could match the color, if not will probably just go black.  Amazing what a little soap and elbow grease do (left half clean, right still dirty)

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 2:32am
I did some of the finish up details, finished bolting up the fenders, worked on the ebrake cable, a few quick wiring fixes to improve the looks of things.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 3:17am
Hardy got anything done. I went out early and sanded the top of the roll bar mounting plates where the paint had dried to fast to flow out nice. Then after getting one nice flowing coat on the paint I realized the other can of VHT Epoxy I had was Glossy not Satin and at 7:30am no where to get another can before my 1 hour recoat window would be up. NAPA opens at 10am on Sunday.

So I guess its good enough.

I then went to install the New Sand blast gun I bought from Eastwood and that turned into a couple hours of no fun. Then to top it off either my sand is damp (been hotter then 90 degrees for weeks here) or the gun sucks as the media moves up the suction hose in clumps and it took for ever to get anything done. SO I gave up.

Not the best Sunday.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 5:39am
Helped a buddy pull trans & TC for rebuild.  Turns out only needs to be re-sealed.  Anybody know what size redi-sleeves to use on the TC yoke shaft?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 6:06am
Never mind, found the post...

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 10:42am
Found a couple T-90 for cheap money. I tore one down completely yesterday. Few areas of concern - but i think it's workable. The other looks to be in better shape. I may tear into that tonight. Just need a little side project. In all the years I've been messing with these things, i realize I've never torn down and rebuilt a transmission. So this is fun! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 3:47am
Installed my pertronix ignition. Easy as can be. 
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 4:56am
Cleaned up a T18 4speed purchased in a parts pile recently getting it ready to sell. Started cleaning a Dana 18 to put in my jeep. Cleaning the housings is nasty work!
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:00am
Added to the fleet.  47 2A #83763.  Pics to come!  Planning on a stock looking trail jeep build.
1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:33am
Same experience.  Rebuilt my first trans and TC last winter. Think I made every miscue possible.  Planning to do another set this winter just for fun.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 7:10pm
  I drove the GPW down to the mailbox and back. It didn't want to idle, then it didn't want to run. Out of gas. I came back down the street weaving like a NASCAR driver trying to get back to pit road. LOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 2:56am
I put the first mile on my jeep for just about 11 months!  I got the last items put on and took it for a road test tonight!Smile

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Chickfisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 3:45am
Pulled the body off.  Checked on the brakes that I was told were "good to go" to find a ton of rust and one wheel that did not have any parts at all behind the drum.  

Pulled the rear diff cover to drain out the sludge, and found that the cover has holes on it that have been welded up by the same person that decided to put their horrible welds everywhere else on this jeep.  Also noticed that the pinion gear got in a fight with something at some point in time, so its a bit chewed up.  I am guessing that since it is a rather large pinion gear, that a bit of damage will not cause a huge problem in this low power application.  I have been wrong before though.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 3:45am

A heads up for others.

I had a coating of oil on my thermostat. It was coming from the oil feed hose to the filter. It was ancient and hard. I figured it was leaking at the fitting. I removed the old one. (I never can get the line back in without pulling the fuel pump.) The new line had a different end which required the removal of an adaptor on the oil filter. Then I found the source of my leak. For who knows how many years, the canaster had been lowered so that the fitting rested on the bracket. It had rubbed 1/4 of a way through the brass fitting. So, you may want to check your filter to make sure the hose or fitting is not resting on the bracket.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>