Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Making a trailer from a Ford model T pickup bed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a trailer from a Ford model T pickup bed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:47am
With plan B,  you can use the trailer.    Hopefully you find some bulbs to fit the "cool" light one day.  Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:50am
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 2:39pm
Good news - I found the small 6v tail/stop bulbs!  They are considered motorcycle bulbs due to their small globe size.  It makes sense because the retro tail lights I bought are for motorcycles.  I just ordered the bulbs :-)

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 1:02pm
I made good progress last night.  A buddy came over and helped me get it on its feet.  We got the bed bolted down and fenders installed.  Next will be to modify the tail light brackets for the retro tail lights, then install while waiting for the bulbs to arrive.  I still need to add trailer wiring and connector to the jeep too.

mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 6:20am
Its great to see this stuff recycled instead of going to the scrapper or worse .. great concept... RocknRoll I  love the look of your project!!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 3:54pm
Thanks Mark.

Steve, nice, usable trailer that you won't be afraid to use.....and for relatively low dollars. Great recycling!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 11:48pm
I made good progress this weekend. I added trailer wiring and connector to the jeep and finished most of the trailer wiring. The hitch and chains are all set. The trailer sits close to level, but maybe an inch or so nose high. 

These retro tail lights are smaller than the stock lights and have different mounting on the back. So I had to fabricate mounting brackets for them. I think they came out well. 

No picture, but this afternoon I fabricated a mounting bracket to hold a spare tire to the front of the bed. I just painted it, letting it dry now.

I'm waiting on the bulbs to arrive on Wednesday. Then I should be able to finish up this project.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 12:14am
All done! 

I finished up the wiring tonight and took it for a 10 mile test run empty, it pulled great. I hardly knew it was back there except for the tailgate  chains jangling. This weekend I'll try it with a load. 

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 3:42am
Very nice . .  that is going to come in very handy over the years.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 1:24am
First outing for the new old trailer. Friday night at the local cruise-in. Its pulls so easy, hardly know its there.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 2:19am
Did anyone recognize that it was a Model T bed,  at the cruise-in?  Smile
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 2:23am
No not really, they were more interested in the jeep. But a couple people noticed the Ford script on the tailgate.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 3:16am
Your Jeep looks better every time I see a new pic! I'd like to see what you would do with a rear PTO Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Your Jeep looks better every time I see a new pic! I'd like to see what you would do with a rear PTO Joe W

Thanks Joe. Photos make it look much better than it does close up. I'd call it a 30 footer. Beyond 30 feet it looks good, close up you see its not. If I had a rear PTO, I'd hook it up to an old time popcorn machine Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12