Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Cap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 5:42am
Guess you can't count on part numbers.  Would this from Ron Fitzpatrick help?

I see that it says "small mouth"...  I don't know if the MB/GPW originally had that small a mouth on its gas tank.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 06 Sep. 2018 at 5:44am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 4:59pm
Early MB's/GPW's had a small mouth compared to the later MB's/GPW's that had a larger mouth. Whether that small mouth is the same size or configuration as the CJ2-A mouth, I don't know. All CJ2-A's, 3A's, 3B's, and 5's with the under-seat tank (I think) use the same cap.
  M38's and M38A1's use a much larger cap similar to the large WWII cap. 
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 10:11pm
Mine doesn't weep, it POURS fuel out when turning right or leaning. Interested to see if the ordered fuel cap does the trick of venting and not dumping fuel.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 11:48pm
I'd still try a jerry can spout gasket. Works for me. I know someone else thought it caused vapor lock. I haven't had that problem but then again, mine still leaks a little. A little is better than a lot. I too would be happy to hear from someone who has found the perfect answer.
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 1:07am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

You guys in build stage might wanna vent the tank to the oil bath air filter M38 style.

Does anyone have any pics of this setup....always thought I had a M38 air cleaner...Maybe not??   Thanks
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 5:05pm
My cap came from Walcks back in 15 or 16.  I noticed this weekend at the Fall Reunion trail rid that I was leaking gas on right turns or when I was leaning on the drivers side.  I may try bending my tabs just a bit, I dont think it is getting tight enough.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 5:55pm
I think I'd cut a gasket before I bent anything, but that's just me.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 10:53pm
Been leaking/lurking on this thread.  Had a hunch that the small G503 early gas cap was what Willys would have used on the CJ2A production - so I ordered a NOS early gas cap.  Just arrived - Wow does it fit snuggly on the filler neck - meaning you turn it and it seals up tight.  Has the center rise for the vent.

Very impressive - now just need to take get it off camber.

Edited by Stev - 15 Sep. 2018 at 5:28pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 10:55pm
picture of the other side of the early AC patent pending G503 gas cap. Note the handy chain with a flex wire that fits in the neck of the gas.  

Edited by Stev - 15 Sep. 2018 at 12:16am
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 12:12am
From the 3A page - cut down origanial gas cap.

Edited by Stev - 15 Sep. 2018 at 12:14am
Stev
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 1:00am
You did well I don't even want to write up a list of jobs I have had. I just did anything to the best of my ability.
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 8:22pm
Had the 1946 off camber this weekend on the Ohio Fall Color Run.

Here is a photo at the top of Albright Hill.  Note no gas on the side of the Jeep!  At the end of the day there still was no gas on the side.  The other 1946 in the back of the picture has some gas sloshed out on the side.

So I would put this in the Busted category - Early Jeeps did not have gas sloshing out when they were off camber - unlike the myth says.  

I found this cap by Searching on Ebay under G503 Gas Cap early style.

Edited by Stev - 22 Oct. 2018 at 8:25pm
Stev
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

Has anyone used the gas cap 640594 from walcks?
Is it a piece of sh*t or a good brand cap that vents and
doesn't leak too.

I ordered one Friday, I'll let you know how it turns out.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 8:56pm
OK old thread but new question. Locking vented cap for a Reproduction (most likely OMIX-IDA ) tank? My original caps both fit but both are pretty long in the tooth.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:06pm
Revisiting this thread as I have now tried 3 different caps, different gaskets/seals in each, doesn't matter what I do, gas literally pours out when the tank is above 5/8 or so and I turn right. Not seeping, POURING out. Over trying all caps to fix it so I'm gonna seal up a cap so it's non vented and retro a vent line port on the tank near the filler neck inside the tub and route it from there.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 9:21pm
Spinnas,

"3 different caps" - is one of them the NOS "AC" Cap in my first photo above?  Perhaps the filler neck is damages or the wrong size.

Stev
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 5:52am
Stev
I have that cap on a few of my Jeeps as well , they fit very well and I love the chain and clip.
they were used on WWII DODGE 1/2 TRUCKS.
I just  never verified they do vent . I guess I need to take a 50 mile Jeep ride. or cut one in half
Jerry,  San Diego
gearwrencher
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Spinnas,

"3 different caps" - is one of them the NOS "AC" Cap in my first photo above?  Perhaps the filler neck is damages or the wrong size.

Stev, no, but I have 1 on the way. I just don't see it as a long term solution. The 3 caps I have tried have used various gaskets that I have mixed and matched, tried double gaskets, bending tabs. The filler neck surface is very flat/true, no burrs of any kind. The caps are tight, to the "bore", so concentric movement. I can get them to be so tight I can hardly put the cap on, make a right turn, literally pours out. So much is pouring out that it's not weeping onto the body, just literally a stream coming out and straight to the ground.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>