Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 reseal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 reseal
    Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 10:28pm
I have the seal kits  to re-seal my t90 and d18. This includes the updated  bearing for the input. Am I going to have about the same amount of effort doing this as tearing down both units completely?  
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:51am
Seems to me that you would.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 9:42pm
The Transmission will require you to pull and replace the input shaft bearing with the sealed bearing.  That will require you lowering the cluster gear and its shaft.  You will be so close to a complete tear down of the transmission that I would put a small parts kit in the transmission and clean the inside of the transmission case-  so Yes, on the transmission.  (Remember the shafts are driven out the back of the transmission case).

The transfer case does not need to be completely disassembled to change the seals.  Might be able to save some time there. But again - you will have it on the bench - you just might go through it.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 1:39am
You can replace the front bearing without dropping the cluster gear.  You don't even have to remove the input shaft.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:25am
Athawk11,

I had to press that sealed bearing on to the NOS T90C input shaft.  It would not slide on.  

Maybe it slides on to the standard T90A input shaft.  Just my experience.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:33am
Stev,
I'm not saying it was easy.  It is a press fit, and required some creative prying and dead blow hammering to ge it off.  It is much easier to put the new bearing back on.

Tim 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply