Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Dana 44 upgrade/locker question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Dana 44 upgrade/locker question
    Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 5:02pm
I have a '50 3a with a Dana 44 rear axle.  With the blessing of my wife, I am planning on upgrading it to full float using Herm's kit.  (The Jeep will be flat towed quite a bit.)  Herm's kit converts the carrier to a 30 spline.  Once that is done, will any 30 spline Dana 44 locker work?  I would love to put an Eaton E locker in it.  The Jeep will be driven by my wife on the road, so I would like to have a selectable locker.  Any input is appreciated.  Thank you.  
'50 3a with f-head motor
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 9:23pm
yep - if you are going with a full case locker, you can order up an D44. Just make sure you get the correct carrier break. If I recall correctly the break is 3:73. So there will be two part numbers. Just make sure you get the right one. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 11:37pm
Thank you for the response. I don't what to do any work on the axle until I know exactly what I am doing and have all the parts. I do not want to tear into it twice. 
'50 3a with f-head motor
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:51am
Originally posted by GrandpasOld50 GrandpasOld50 wrote:

I do not want to tear into it twice. 

Aw c'mon, where's your sense of adventure?  Big smile  Wacko  Dead
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:04am
Fair point. However, I am a hack mechanic so everything takes me 4 times as long everyone else. That is the adventure, figuring up something completely foreign to me. 
'50 3a with f-head motor
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:08am
  A couple of years ago, I converted a '55 CJ5 Dana 44 to full-float axles and an E-Locker for a friend. I had to do a lot of grinding inside the D44 housing to make room for the E-Locker. Also had to do some modification to the cover. The check/fill plug hit the E-Locker. Worth the trouble, though.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:27am

...everything takes me 4 times as long everyone else.

You're just careful and thorough.  Some things shouldn't be an adventure. Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 4:46am
Some would argue that I am just slow, but I like to think I am careful and thorough. I have learned that I hate doing things twice. 

Bruce, thank you for the tips. That is very helpful!
'50 3a with f-head motor
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:32pm
If you do not have the experience of setting up gears you might be ahead of the game to find a local shop that specializes in it to do that part of the job. I took rear end class 3 times in my Auto tech college major back in the early 80's and I still had a local shop do the assembly on my rear gears. getting it close is just not the same as getting the preload, contact pattern and such perfect. My cost here was $250
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:41pm
Mark - that is a very good point.  I will likely take your advice, I just want to be armed with as much information as possible before I head done this road.  
'50 3a with f-head motor
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 4:16pm
   You can Do This ! _ _ _ make Set-up bearings with your old ones. :)

Pinion depth is critical, and with set-up bearings it is a breeze really.

I have always set up my own differential builds.
Like grandpa mentioned, I take my time and do lots of research ahead of the re-assembly. It really is a piece-of-cake, once you do it 4-times on your first set-up. I have never used a Dial-indicator for lash, because you can "feel" .004 clearance with your fingers.
   If your mesh pattern is good, then your Lash can vary, and doesn't need to be exact. Look how crude this unit is.
   Setting up is much easier if you take your carrier and pinion shaft to the local machine shop and ask the fella to pull the bearings with his bearing separator, and then to put them on the Rod-hone and hone the cone out to slide easily onto your carrier and pinion.
   Presto, you have now at your disposal, a pair of Set-up Bearings to determine your shim-pack thickness. Your pre-load when installing the carrier into the housing should be Snug.

Bearings are tough, and they can take a lot of punishment.

Very important is to take note of the numbers on the end of the Pinion shaft on the gear-end. Those numbers tell you correct pinion-depth and how to add or subtract shims to set pinion depth without a proper-depth-gauge.
Pay attention to the shims that came out with the bearing race on the gear end of the pinion. And again, make a set-up bearing to slide onto the pinion gear end to make the job easy.

I have successfully set-up all sorts of rear-ends up to and including Dana 70's which are just bigger and bulkier than the Dana 44.
You can Too.

Recruit a buddy for confidence ( the wife ) hahahaha   _ _ I do. :)

Chiltons motor manuals have a real good explanation of how to determine the shim thickness with the markings on the pinion and all of this.
    I learned using the chiltons, and have the wife check your Math !

This really is a job you should tackle just for the Gratification and familiarization of the process. It is all on the internet somewhere.

Checking the Wear-Pattern is like finding TDC on an engine. Shim both ways and pick the pattern which is the median of the wear-patterns and again pinion depth comes into play here also.
   I'd bet there is probably a good Link here on the forum to a good Tutorial for this, or Herm my have one on his page.

Good god I have flat-towed my CJ-7 over to the Rubicon trail many years, and always wind-up getting myself into a bind, and wind-up having to either un-hook or skid the front tires while attempting to back-up out of a dead-end street. All fun stuff yes, and have Fun with your Floater :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 5:44pm
Thank you for the information, Greaser.  It helps a lot.  

I have one more question.  I was just reading a build on the Pirate 4x4 website that Herm's website linked to.  The builder was planning on converting his 44 to full float and then changed his mind because a friend told him there are always problems with the axles after they have been converted (like leaking seals and broken axle tubes).  Has anyone experienced similar problems?  I really want to do this, but not if it will cause more problems down the road.  

Thank you all for the responses and advise.  
'50 3a with f-head motor
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 5:44am

Thank you for the information, Greaser.  It helps a lot.  

I have one more question.  I was just reading a build on the Pirate 4x4 website that Herm's website linked to.  The builder was planning on converting his 44 to full float and then changed his mind because a friend told him there are always problems with the axles after they have been converted (like leaking seals and broken axle tubes).  Has anyone experienced similar problems?  I really want to do this, but not if it will cause more problems down the road.  

Thank you all for the responses and advise.  

I have a 47 CJ2a with the original Dana 41 rear axle.   I put Herm’s full floating D44 axle kit in mine with new seals and haven’t had any issues whatsoever.  You can watch my videos to see how I use mine and determine whether it might work for your application.  I highly recommend this mod if you are going to flat tow and/or wheel pretty hard.  In fact, I have a ‘51 CJ3a that has the D44 in it and I’ll probably do the same thing to that one.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 6:07am
Rick,

Do you have the number of the outer axle seals that you used with the Herms floaters on your 44?

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 2:57pm
Rick, thank you for the response.  I am glad to hear a success story.  It gives me more confidence to forge ahead.  
'50 3a with f-head motor
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Rick,

Do you have the number of the outer axle seals that you used with the Herms floaters on your 44?

Fltfndr

Sorry, I don’t have the number for those seals.  I ordered them from Herm when I bought the axles and either forgot to note the number or they weren’t marked. 
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Rick,

Fltfndr
Herm will sell them to you. Looks like $12 each. Scroll to bottom of page.
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply