Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

51 Willys Truck - VW TDI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 51 Willys Truck - VW TDI
    Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 3:03pm
The Millenium Falcon (Seth) suggested that since a truck is basically a CJ2A with different sheet metal, I would be OK posting here.  I've had my truck since 1980.  I live in Calgary, Alberta.  For many years, I belonged to a WillysTech group and it seems to have disappeared.  Some of you may have been on there too.  It looks like this might be a similar crowd.

The previous owner of the truck had put a Chevy straight 6 in  and it was getting "tired".  I've had diesel VW's and a few Mercedes diesels over the years.  Last spring I wound up with an 05 Passat TDI with a blown transmission.  I did a bit of research and discovered that putting the TDI into various vehicles including Jeeps is done regularly.  I think it is a good fit for the vehicle.  So, last April, the truck looked like this as I pulled it into the garage.  I had done a fairly complete restoration about 15 years ago.  Rewired, painted it, etc.

I'm well into the transplant - I thought that rather than putting a bunch of pictures here, I can direct you to where I have a bunch and I can go forward with my progress.  Here is where I keep pictures:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtV03aEpd79qh_ZQ1C9SCTmCmYhrew

I should have the exhaust all done tomorrow.  Then I move into the cooling system and wiring.

I look forward to interacting with you and hope you will accept a truck into the CJ2A fold!

.....  Bob Hamilton      hamibob@gmail.com

O|||||||O
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 3:14pm
Very interesting....and a BUNCH of pictures! Well documented.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 12:10am
Hi Bob

I have had a couple of these trucks over the years...when I had them I would hang out over here...

These guys are stupid smart on these old trucks....everything from stockers to crawlers to frame swappers too...very active forum too...

Good luck with your rebuild...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 2:01am
Welcome to the page, hamibob!  Nice truck!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 1:20pm
Got my exhaust finished yesterday.  Here's a couple pictures:

O|||||||O
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 1:21pm
O|||||||O
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 2:19pm
Looks nice!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 5:31pm
Hello! Welcome! The truck looks great! How much work left until you get on the road? 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by hamibob hamibob wrote:

The Millenium Falcon (Seth) suggested that since a truck is basically a CJ2A with different sheet metal, I would be OK posting here. 

Seth is right and we're glad you posted up! Beautiful truck.
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 8:15pm
Cooling system and wiring left.   Pretty easy to say those two - lots of figuring out to do, especially on the second!

Sometimes it's fun to do something easy.  I had put these oak "running boards" on back in 1980 and refnished them this morning.  I even bought some stainless steel carriage bolts to attach them this time!

O|||||||O
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2018 at 7:30pm
I put the front fenders and nose on this morning to start to figure out the radiator - there's lots of room up front - not so much on the sides!
O|||||||O
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2018 at 7:32pm
O|||||||O

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 9:30pm
Is that the bronco II Radiator like I used? My jeep was the same way.... Gob of room in the front, but super tight on the sides. 
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 9:36pm
Yes, I was lazy and got exactly the same one - got it from RockAuto for about the same as you paid.

What did you use for hoses to connect to the motor?  I have a little heater that I plan to put in as well.

I'm just getting ready to build some brackets to mount the radiator.  Did you keep both fans?  I was thinking that I should be OK with just the bigger one.

It looks like you ran a little radiator for oil cooling as well.  Do I need to do that?

Sorry for all the questions.  I get more and more impressed with your build.  I looked through a few more pages yesterday of all the things you built.  You are one handy/smart guy - wish you were closer to Calgary!!

.....   Bob
O|||||||O

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 9:54pm
Well thanks Bob. I i learned a lot building the jeep.... Mostly through trial and error haha! For the collant hoses I actually bought a Bag of hoses for 1950 something ford tractor from a store we have called "tractor supply" It was like $20 it came with several elbows and a straight section. Most of it is 1-1/4" I used that for the connections then I solder copper pipe for my other longer pipes and some of the bends. Ive done this for two diesel swaps now and its held up great. I love how tight the radius is on the elbows. 

I even soldered in a threaded brass bushing so I could use the factory willys water temp gauge. I know it seems silly but its a cheap easy way to make durable custom hoses. People dont even notice once you paint them black. I put 3 little dabs of solder on the ends to prevent any hose slippage. 

Once their black no one knows any wiser. 

I am running one single 14" fan. It never gets hot enough to need the fan but its there. I have it set for 205 degrees. 

you can kinda see the fan here. I got it on ebay. Then I ordered an adjustable thermostat for it do you can set the temp. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 9:57pm
Oh I forgot to mention the oil cooler. The only reason im using the remote mount oil cooler is because I had to delete the factory cooler/filler assembly due to space issues. If your engine still has the factory heat exchanger/filter I would not run anything else. The factory setup is more than adequate. 
hamibob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamibob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 6:55pm
Got my driveshafts adjusted and installed them today.  They look good - new U Joints as well.  Also found a diesel "jerry" can that I put on.

O|||||||O
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 3:29am
Looking good Bob,well done.Thumbs Up

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>