Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Well, I think we can all agree that Jeep should not make decisions like this without running them by the 2A Page first!!

No truer words have ever been spoken!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 4:30pm
Mark Allen, the head of Jeep Design at FCA, and a number of the Wrangler engineers told me they do indeed pay attention to the CJ2APage.com, as well as various other vintage Jeep enthusiast sites. As modern vehicle developers go, they're probably more empathetic to our sensibilities than their counterparts at other vehicle makers. They certainly "get" the importance of heritage.   
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

- to gain production scale, the JT frame will underpin a new Ram midsize pickup that's in the development pipeline;

This is likely what I thought I heard... it was just a blip on a TV snippet showing the new gladiator staged for the LA show, and I'm sure the talking head didn't "report" it as clearly as LR47 Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 5:49pm

Mark Allen, the head of Jeep Design at FCA, and a number of the Wrangler engineers told me they do indeed pay attention to the CJ2APage.com, as well as various other vintage Jeep enthusiast sites. As modern vehicle developers go, they're probably more empathetic to our sensibilities than their counterparts at other vehicle makers. They certainly "get" the importance of heritage.   

I've been really impressed at how much FCA has at least allowed (and probably encouraged / required) the brands they acquired to maintain and build their individual identity.  Looking at the JL Wrangler there's no question it's a Jeep.  Sure, people can debate whether it should've had a different engine, or if it would be better in a smaller package or whatever.  But it's NOT a cookie-cutter SUV (like everyone seems to expect the upcoming Ford Bronco to be).  And who'd think Dodge would be able to put a 707 hp engine in a Challenger?  I think it's great that FCA seems to be staffed by enthusiasts and seem to care what enthusiasts think.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 6:08pm

I'd like some education on the concepts coming out. They have been putting out some very cool throwback type concepts.

... I see them at EJS every year. What is their purpose? Is there any chance that public interest would be high enough that one would could actually make it to production? .... Are they just fun projects to keep the R&D guys entertained? .... Do they make money from these in some other way?.... I'm just wondering. I kinda feel like they are a tease to see them and know that i will never be able to buy one. I would buy the CJ5 throwback in a second.

I really wish they would do a throw back concept vehicle of the MB except put a V6 in it, power steering, power brakes, Maybe ultra low gearing? .... oh, and a roll cage that looks like the original bows. I want one SO bad!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 6:20pm

....  I really wish they would do a throw back concept vehicle of the MB except put a V6 in it, power steering, power brakes, Maybe ultra low gearing? .... oh, and a roll cage that looks like the original bows. I want one SO bad!!
Yeah, too bad there's no way to get one of those!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 7:29pm
Automakers produce concept vehicles to serve various purposes. Some concepts are used to preview certain styling and/or architectural cues that will be used on future production vehicles. Others are used to solicit reactions from the public long before final production sheet metal is approved (which can save $millions). In the case of the Wagoneer and CJ5 that jpet noted, both of them used classic Jeep production bodies. The Jeep Development group regularly searches for barn finds and other old Jeeps (even those rusting in fields) that can be restored and modified for this purpose. The Wagoneer and CJ5 concepts were both built on modified Wrangler JK chassis. CJ2APage.commers will recall the Jeep Design team also did an equally cool FC-170-themed concept a few years ago, and more recently an M715 concept. All of these projects have budgets and are done to gauge interest from the Jeep faithful. A number of FCA Jeep engineers and designers own vintage (stock and modified) Willys, Kaiser and AMC Jeeps. Those guys LIVE for the big annual Jeepfests at Moab, the Rubicon, etc. They recognize that modern-Jeep enthusiasm and historic Jeep enthusiasm have a lot of crossover. Not unlike Harley-Davidson.       
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 9:42pm

And some of us Jeep marketing guys even own CJ2As! Wink
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 9:57pm
I've been working as a supplier to the auto industry almost 40 years.
I spent some time with Mark at Jeepfest this summer in Toledo, and my opinion is yes, he is more turned on and in tune with the industry and the Jeep brand than almost all I've met.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 10:58pm

I would buy the CJ5 throwback in a second.

I really wish they would do a throw back concept vehicle of the MB except put a V6 in it, power steering, power brakes, Maybe ultra low gearing? .... oh, and a roll cage that looks like the original bows. I want one SO bad!!

I'd gladly drive this CJ6 too!

Bring back the Jeep II !

Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 11:54am
I saw my first new Gladiator on the road last night. Its a huge vehicle by Jeep standards. It will be interesting to see one of them parked next to a 2A.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 2:52am
A dozen years ago on Dec. 26 I picked up a Jeep Gladiator pickup at Wally World for about 30 bucks.  It's the RC version that looks like the concept Gladiator.  It's got an extended cab and a bed that looks like it would be the same length as the new Gladiator's 5-ft. bed, so the concept must have been a good bit shorter than the real thing.  THAT'S the Gladiator I'd like. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 5:33pm
   Good gosh, that throwback flame-orange jeep is Tight (cool) !

My red '77 is as close to that as i can ask for:

I installed a T-18 w/ Novak adapter behind the 304 V-8, which made ALL the difference in crawling painlessly along the Rubicon trail.
a note: in the '77 model year the Renegade package included power / tilt steering by GM, power disc brakes up front, and Posi-trac model 20 amc rear, and the draw-bar hitch (which protects the spare tire on descents).

The Skidplate on front I built for traversing the Rubicon Trail to protect my Tie-Rod and Steering-Box.   Yes it did take a beating but did it's job.

Below is an example of what Gladiator I would like to own, and color combo !

The new Gladiator probably gets it's tow-rating from the Diesel engine.

Edited by Greaser007 - 14 Dec. 2018 at 5:44pm
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 6:32pm
I've driven the Wrangler pick up and I think you'll all like it. The suspension is right out of the Wrangler but, of course, the wheel base is longer. I prefer the longer wheelbase because it rides and drives a bit nicer than the Wrangler, but it's a compromise and it won't be as nimble off road. I agree it's going to be expensive, but so is the JL. I saw one the other day without Camo rolling down the road and I think it looks alot like the old Jeep J trucks from behind. I also like the flat dash (same as the Wrangler). It reminds me of an old Wrangler, but modernized. There's also lots of little references to the CJ2A in both the truck and the Wrangler. 
I really wish they'd  build that little Wrangler concept they had at the auto show. They best thing about the CJ's is how narrow, small and light they are. New wrangler's and the PU are portly. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 1:59am
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

New wrangler's and the PU are portly. 

That's putting it politely.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 2:28am
Great conversation here.  I'm not saying I'm buying a JT, but I appreciate the insights on tow vehicles for a CJ2A.  I currently own a 2DR JK and I've used it to flat tow my 2A a number of times, but the JK 2DR is definitely limited in its towing capacity - I believe 2500lbs.  I may need to look into an older model pickup so I can take longer trips with the 2A and a decent trailer setup.    
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 3:33am
Sorry guys, I have to do this.
Every time I see "Perfect Tow Vehicle", this is what comes to mind..........

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2018 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Sorry guys, I have to do this.
Every time I see "Perfect Tow Vehicle", this is what comes to mind..........

There are a lot of factors that need to be considered for "perfect".  That Kenworth checks off a lot of the boxes, but it leaves a few important ones unchecked tooWink
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12