Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Engine?
    Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:31am
  In my Chevrolet days, the next best thing to having the "correct, numbers-matching engine" was to have a "Service Replacement engine", especially one with a date code that coincided with your warranty period.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by GloucesterBoy GloucesterBoy wrote:

Right now, she runs very good.

Run it Wink...

Seriously... they made L134's (the block and moving parts) in large part without care of their end use. Some were used for jeeps on the line, some pulled for generators, welders and the like...some set aside for replacement sale.  The serial number wasn't stamped until the very end, so your 4LR is basically the same engine as one stamped J, 3J, U, T etc., and was built exactly the same.

As for the 0.010 oversized bore from the factory, it wont make a tinkers damn difference.  So long as it's running good, run it.  for all you know, and maybe quite likely, it's been rebuilt since it was installed as a replacement back in the day. Yes the serial number has a "B" after it indicating how it left the factory.  It's actually more likely it's been bored past that since Wink

You have what some are searching for... a solid good running L Thumbs Up

ETA:  sorry, you have "A" and "B" in your OP above... take out everything I said about a slight overbore and replace it with ground crank and rebuild bearings LOL, and run it.

Edited by mbullism - 02 Dec. 2018 at 8:15pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 6:02pm
Thank you Lee and "mbullism". Sooooo, when my old girlfriend I was undersized it created a terrible issue for me. Should I anticipate a similar outcome for my 2a?LOL!

Seriously, I read the paragraphs before and after the copy of the page where it important to know what you have in order to dial everything it as out should be. 

would a non replacement motor not have the "R" and/or the suffix "A"?

Do I lose any power, speed or otherwise with a undersized main and connection rod bearings?

also, is a replacement motor something that reduces the the effectiveness of the jeep. I'm just thinking, do I find another motor without these markings? before I put her back together? Right now, she runs very good.

inaddition, I do not see a timing mark on the timing gear cover or pulley? is this due to replacement equipment?

I appreciate your input and experience!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 1:07pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 3:30am
4LR, 4 cyl/L head/Relacement. I’m not sure but an a or b at the end refers to overbored cylinders or undersized crankshaft, my manual is out in the garage

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 3:00am
What constitutes a replacement engine? The R at the beginning, or the when there is a B at the end?? I have a cracked block in my original motor and now have 4LR119241A Stamped behind the water pump on the motor I am using. Do these number indicate the year of the motor as well?  Thank you!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Post Reply Post Reply