Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hood mounted spare tire?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hood mounted spare tire?!
    Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 2:44pm
How would you drive with the windshield down?? LOLLOL That is one of my favorite features!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 2:49pm
I have a old Land Rover with the tire on the hood.  It is great look but in actuality use it obscures the view of the road when driving all of the time.  It makes off-roading more difficult because you cant see obstructions in the road - windy roads / creeks are a real problem - just driving  blind lots of the time.

When lifting the hood it adds something like 25 pounds to the lift in effort.

Changing the tire - is a pain to hoist the tire back up on to the hood.

The hood will need to be reinforced and the hinge would also need to be upgraded.  Windshield would need to be modified with a hinge in the frame just at the lower edge of the glass if it was going to be folded down - like the Land Rover has.

The only upside is that you always know if you have your spare tire with you.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:01pm
the way my hardtop is made i cant put the windshield down anyways so thats not a problem. 
i figured the seats in the 2a where tall enough to not have that problem, also i never thought about the hood hinges? i would need some 90s jeep ones maybe to account for the extra weight. 

also im running a stock-ish tire size on the spare so its smaller then the rest if that matters. 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:03pm
ive googled this for ever and i cant find any pictures of this... im 50/50 on it myself 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:10pm
Sounds like the planed cage will be better for the extra weight.  Stev points out a significant issue:  Lifting/retrieving the tire. 
I'd looked at top mount bike racks for years until I had a reality check on lifting the bikes above my head to get them on the top of my vehicle.  I settled for a hitch receptacle bike rack so that the bikes are no more than shoulder high. 

Something to consider unless the spare is intended to be ornamental.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:26pm
I think the hood mounted spare could be a good thing if your running a permanent hard cab.
And  should work very well to cover a hole in the hood due to putting an  F-134 in a low hood flatty.
A cover for this kind of hole:

As a hole cover that should  move the tire back and partly over the cowl area where it would less likely obscure the frontal view.
Yet if moved rearward over the cowl that will likely make it harder to  raise the hood.

Edited by oldtime - 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:47pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

ive googled this for ever and i cant find any pictures of this...

All the reasons given so far are probably why you dont find pics of people doing it maybe....

Lots of weight and obstruction.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 3:41pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 4:29pm
I don't like putting anything up high.  Makes your center of gravity higher so you are more likely to test out your roll bar. 
I would cuss a hood mounted spare and probably never check my oil.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 4:47pm
wow thanks for the photo link. (saved that picture for sure) 
i hate to say its ornamental but i I REALLY love the euro look. Approve

i guess when i get down to it ill see what i like and how it affects driving. 
you guys are always a big help pointing out the things i don't think about lol. 

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:50pm
JMO - ‘Way back before I was a jeeper, when I was a little kid, I hated that. I could see then that it would be destructive, and Pop was quick enough to point out the disadvantages. In my opinion it just looks stupid.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 11:15pm
Just to add to Bruce's comment.....for some reason, to my eyes it looks ALOT better ( or maybe just 'appropriate' ) on a Land Rover. On an old Willys not so much.

On a Willys to me it sorta looks like somebody was cleaning the garage out and that's where it ended up.....or like Bruce said.......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 11:39pm
I wouldn't do that to mine but, I'm thinking go for it and lets see what you come up with might be good to fab up an "H" structure to spread out the load on the hood. I love the look of an ol series 88 rover with the hardtop on it  looks cewl!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 11:44pm
If I am not mistaken, I believe the spare is intended to be mounted on the right rear, left rear or maybe even the tailgate if you want to mimic an MB or GPW. Why would you want to mount it on a perfectly good hood??? just cause the Limeys do it does not make it right! LOL

P.S My POP was a merchant seaman during WW11 and that is how they referred to the Englishmen (sailors). No disrespect intended!

Edited by 3-48s - 05 Dec. 2018 at 11:55pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 1:13am
I don't like the idea. 

Raises your center of gravity, pain in the ass to remove and put back up there, can't put down the windshield, obstructs view, and it's just not the way a Jeep should look.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 4:06am
You may have noticed that a lot of flat fenders have extra hood latches toward the back of the hood.
They stop the hood from bouncing up and down and damaging the hinge.
Imagine if the weight of the hood can be an issue, what the added weight of the spare would do.
1946 CJ2A 14098
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 6:50am
I love land rovers ,but face it , the 2a hoods are just to wimpy to support much, especially a spare tire.
Google the Military M 38  they figures a cool way to support a gas can and spare tire.
I am just finishing a 3b build now. I used a M38 tail gate on it.
gearwrencher
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 10:00am
Don't do either. You will be sorry if you do.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>