Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toy trains around the tree

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 3:06am
This years window display on Main Street.  Mainly Prewar Lionel

Edited by Stev - 11 Dec. 2018 at 3:21am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

How about a a speed tip, clean the tracks with steel wool. You get better power transfer! Wink

Or sliding a penny or copper washer on the tracks.  That's what we did with our slot car tracks back in the day. 
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 3:17am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Very OT, but it is of the same vintage.

I have a fairly large collection of 1946-1960 vintage American Flyer toy trains. Unfortunately, it's all packed in the attic. But my little grandson is coming for Christmas, so I dug out a very basic train and track to set up around the tree for him. 

It dawned on me the American Flyer S-gauge trains spanned a very similar period as our flat fender jeeps. Does anyone else play with vintage toy trains?

Now for the tree growing up through the hood----------

I still have a pile of trains.  Tinplate from my childhood and a big bunch of HO from my second childhood.  Should start on number 3-----
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 3:25am
I have every post war American Flyer steamer, except for the big #332 Northern, and 9 complete sets. I have a small platform I set up under the tree every year and run 2 different trains making sure to rotate them so I never run the same engines 2 years in a row.

My favorite engine #342 0-8-0 switcher. It was a DC model but converted to AC by a previous owner. In the backgound is the K5 Pennsy (#312) passenger set. That's the post war station on the left and the pre-war station on the right.

Here's a #350 Royal Blue I restored.

Before:

After:

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

I have every post war American Flyer steamer, except for the big #332 Northern, and 9 complete sets. I have a small platform I set up under the tree every year and run 2 different trains making sure to rotate them so I never run the same engines 2 years in a row.

My favorite engine #342 0-8-0 switcher. It was a DC model but converted to AC by a previous owner. In the backgound is the K5 Pennsy (#312) passenger set. That's the post war station on the left and the pre-war station on the right.

Here's a #350 Royal Blue I restored.

Before:

After:

Wow - very nice!  I don't have every AF loco, but I do have a 332Tongue  A couple Hudsons (one with a front coupler for doubleheading), Atlantic, K5, Franklins (stock and customs), handcar and a few custom builts.  
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 10:49am
Here's a little train-cam video of my American Flyer Casey Jones making its tour of the treeBig smile

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2018 at 1:24pm
After all these years I never realized the relationship between my love of trains and Willys Jeeps.... Amazing. I remember wanting  to become a locomotive driver, I had the whole outfit and wore the crap out of it. I’ll be 46 this March and still have my Lionel Train from my parents when I was born. Still works! I think I’ll go fetch it and play now....  that was a really cool video!
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2018 at 7:58pm
I have my dad's train from the 1920's and want to put it under the tree but I'm concerned it will get assaulted by the dam cat. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2018 at 8:47pm
You need to build a 'cat-a-pult'
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2018 at 8:52pm
LOL... I'll suggest that to Juli, but pretty sure I'll be the one on it for suggesting that. Guess I have to wait for his natural demise. Approve
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 1:29am
Hahahahaha cat a pult LMAO
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2019 at 3:04am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12