Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D18 transfer case project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 6:44pm
I just got off the phone with QTM.  On Ebay their ad for the D18 gasket/seal kit says they are double lip seals.  But I noticed their website listing does not say that.  So I asked, and it turns out the gasket/seal kit does NOT have the double lip seals.  They are changing their ebay listing.  I ordered the kit anyway, since I need all the other gaskets.  But I'll have to source the double lips seals elsewhere.  They are #473229.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 8:48pm
I bought a couple months ago and it contained all double lip seals.
So maybe you'll get lucky ???
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I bought a couple months ago and it contained all double lip seals.
So maybe you'll get lucky ???

I hope not. I just ordered the double lip seals elsewhere. If the set does come with double lips after they told me they didn't, I'll be a little miffedOuch
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 3:38pm
NDNCHF, I ordered a kit for mine from Ron Fitzpatrick that contains double lip seals. Not sure if the shifter rod seals are double lip, but I'd be surprised if they leak much as they are kind of high away from the fluid area. Being an Empire, there is only one shifter rod, for high, low, neutral on this transfer case.

I have not taken it off yet, but I am stripping another t case to k-ball a gear out of. If both of mine are good, I can send the rear output cap to you. it's the same one you have. I'll even take that hard to get out seal out of it!

Show me a photo of this bushing you had an issue with? I have not gotten a close look at the case yet, still working on internals.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

NDNCHF, I ordered a kit for mine from Ron Fitzpatrick that contains double lip seals. Not sure if the shifter rod seals are double lip, but I'd be surprised if they leak much as they are kind of high away from the fluid area. Being an Empire, there is only one shifter rod, for high, low, neutral on this transfer case.

I have not taken it off yet, but I am stripping another t case to k-ball a gear out of. If both of mine are good, I can send the rear output cap to you. it's the same one you have. I'll even take that hard to get out seal out of it!

Show me a photo of this bushing you had an issue with? I have not gotten a close look at the case yet, still working on internals.

Bob - thanks for the offer of the rear bearing cap.  If its the same one, for a CJ2A with internal expanding brake drum and its not cracked, I'd be very pleased to buy it.  The shift rods I have are pretty good, but have minor pitting.  I may mix up a little JB weld, fill the pits, then sand and polish smooth.  That should help them seal well.

The bushing goes in the end of the output shaft.  I don't have a photo of mine handy, but here's one from the web.  This guy made a stepped driver to seat it.  I'll do the same thing.

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 5:28pm
I'll have to take look at that bushing! What purpose does it serve?

A guy gave me an engine, trans and tcase. I figured it's the perfect one to part out for my needs and others. Lowenuf is getting some trans parts from it. So really I'd just send you the bearing cap for postage. I pulled the brake assembly off it and gave the backing plate and lever to a kid near me who is working on one and needed that stuff.

Let me inspect my bearing cap and this one and verify they are both good. I'll do that tonight and let you know the results.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

I'll have to take look at that bushing! What purpose does it serve?

A guy gave me an engine, trans and tcase. I figured it's the perfect one to part out for my needs and others. Lowenuf is getting some trans parts from it. So really I'd just send you the bearing cap for postage. I pulled the brake assembly off it and gave the backing plate and lever to a kid near me who is working on one and needed that stuff.

Let me inspect my bearing cap and this one and verify they are both good. I'll do that tonight and let you know the results.

That's very generous of you - thanks.  There seems to be at least 3 or 4 different rear bearing caps.  This is the one I need.

The bushing keeps the output clutch shaft aligned.  The output clutch shaft has a ground and polished pilot that fits in the bushing.  When the bushing wears, it can cause mis-alignment.  When new the bushing has a .628" bore.  Up to .630" is acceptable wear according to Novak.  Mine was .634", so it needs to be replaced. 

Edited by ndnchf - 03 Jan. 2019 at 5:46pm
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 6:17pm
I will inspect these tonight and let you know. Since this xfer case does not have a front output shaft, I'm guessing it does not have that bushing either. From what I've been reading, that is the pilot for the front output shaft, which was removed and blocked off on the Empire version of the Dana 18.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 10:17pm
I stopped by Tractor Supply this afternoon and picked up some 1-3/4"x15 ga (.080") machine bushings to space out the narrower double lip seals. I think they will work perfectly. Here is one laid on top of an old seal to check the fit. The TSC sku # is 1833901.

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 10:42pm
Ndnchf. I have the very same thing. You’re welcome tomot. I will
Pm you
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 2:42am
Thanks again Bob, much appreciated!

Tonight I machined a stepped bushing driver. This will be used with an arbor press to seat the pilot bushing in the output shaft to a depth of .560". 

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 12:34pm
I finished making the bushing driver and the new bushing arrived last night. To minimize distortion when seating it, I'll freeze the bushing and warm the shaft in an oven. Waiting on more parts to arrive.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 3:28pm
Well I dove right in this morning and pressed the bushing in. I heated the shaft to 200 degrees in the oven for 30 min, and placed the bushing in the freezer. It was tight, definitely a job for a press. It went well, pressed in to a depth of .560". The big test was the resulting bushing bore size. It measures about .6255", a little tighter than I'd like, but acceptable. The output clutch shaft pilot measures .624". It fits in nicely and spins freely. I'm pretty satisfied with that. I'll be sure to lube it well at assembly.

I also worked on the shift rods. I tried to fill the pits with JB weld, then sand and polish them down smooth in the lathe. I was partially successful. It's better but not perfect. Since the ends of the rods are exposed bare steel, I applied cold gun blue to provide a modicum of rust protection. It probably won't help much, but it doesn't hurt.

outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 3:51am
Great fixes on both parts. When im painting a transfer case, I slide a piece of radiator hose over the shaft section that goes inside the front housing seals to keep the paint off.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 6:05am
My order from QTM arrived. The seals are single lip, a standard crown kit with the tag removed. They also sent the wrong bearing.  For another $20 I ordered double lip seals elsewhere that should be here in a day or two. In hindsight, I should have just ordered the double lip seal kit and the other parts from RFJPOuch
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:42pm
I hear that .
I've also bought TC output seals from Ron F
Sometimes Matt can be hit n' miss just depends on what item it is.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I hear that .
I've also bought TC output seals from Ron F
Sometimes Matt can be hit n' miss just depends on what item it is.

On the plus side, I just called and talked to Matt about returning the wrong bearing for a refund.  No problem. Its all good, I'm still waiting for parts to come in from several sources.  One thing I did not order is a shim pack, maybe I should have.  I have the shims from the two D18s I tore down, so I'm hoping between them I'll have what I need.  But then there is Murphy's law to contend with....Ouch
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 4:19pm
Steve, do you know O'tooles Law? He said Murphy was an optimist!
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>