Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D18 transfer case project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D18 transfer case project
    Posted: 16 Dec. 2018 at 10:24pm
Now that my T90 rebuild project is done, I'm turning to the D18 transfer case. I've never cracked open a transfer case before, so this is a new adventure for me.

The first roadblack was the parking brake drum - it wouldn't come off. This thing was very rusty, I couldn't event retract the brake shoes. I had to make a puller to get the drum off. It worked great.

I spent most of the afternoon working on it. The pivot pin for the shifters was frozen solid. I finally resorted to oxy/act torch to heat up the case enough to drive it out - what a bear! 

I still have more disasembly to do and there is a broken off oil pan bolt I have to get out. But after a good 4 hours of fighting with it, I'm done and ready for a cold one!

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 12:09am
That 27-LED portable work light is the best thing Harbor Freight ever gave away.  Thumbs Up 

Nice work on the Xfer case.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 3:17am
Looks good, keep those pics coming.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 11:45am
Have fun!. Ron Fitzpatrick has a very nice double lip seal and gasket kit if your parts shopping yet! 👍🏽

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 12:16pm
Thanks guys.  I've seen RFP's double lip seal mentioned before - sounds like a great idea.  I'll keep it in mind come parts ordering time.

The parking brake shoes, backing plate and drum are in really bad shape.  The shoes were completely rusted away in some places, the backing plate it almost rusted through.  Fortunately, I have another TC in the shed that is grease caked.  So I should be be able to use the brake parts of it.  I may end up tearing that one down too.

Those little 27 LED Harbor Freight lights are very handy.  I find them especially useful on my parts washer.  I stick two of them inside the lid so I can see what I'm cleaning.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 1:49am
I'm about to the point where I need a special tool to drive the bearing forward on the output shaft. The original tool was a heavy fork-like thing.

Rick Stivers made one from a hatchet. Not quite the same, but it worked. 

Short of making a similar tool from a hatchet, does anyone know of another way to do this, or another commonly available tool?

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 2:15am
Hatchet thing worked for me.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 4:41am
I make a puller that specifically deals with that bearing if you're interested. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

I make a puller that specifically deals with that bearing if you're interested. 

The hatchet thing seems like a fairly simple solution. But please tell me more about your puller. Do you have a photo?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 12:59pm
Puller is two halves that bolt together to capture the bearing and another tow fasteners retain it to the side of the case through the existing front housing holes. You then press or tap the shaft out. Cost is $55+shipping. I have them in stock.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 2:53pm
Wow - that's a neat tool Joe.  I'm going to look close at it tonight and determine my way ahead.  I'll let you know. Thanks
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 3:12pm
And less than the axe head and emergency room visit required to make the other one.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2018 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

And less than the axe head and emergency room visit required to make the other one.

You got that rightLOL  I contacted Joe, he'll be sending a tool asap Smile

I got most of the disassembly done tonight except the output shaft and the front yoke seal. Even with the front cap off and disassembled, that seal is in there tight (I'm aware if the lip behind it). So I soaked it with PB Blaster and will work on it tomorrow night.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 12:54am
I got the TC completely disassembled today. Joe's tool worked great, but it was a challenge. The bearing was on tight, I had to use the hydraulic press to get it to move. Then I could finally get to the hidden snap ring.

I ran everything through the parts washer for an inital cleaning. Next will be a detailed inspection on each piece. Then I'll be making a list and checking it twice....Wink
The parking brake was badly corroded, so I pulled another TC from the shed and pulled the brake drum, backing plates and parts off to use. This TC has a busted case, but plenty of good parts on it.

I'm new to making videos, but here is a clip of what I've been doing.

Edited by ndnchf - 23 Dec. 2018 at 1:40pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 4:30pm
Well crap - I'm at a work stoppage. I was getting parts cleaned up for paint when I found the rear bearing cap is cracked. Grrrr... does anyone have a spare laying around? I'll post a WTB ad.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 7:06pm
  The rear cap on my 3B was cracked like that. I had no spare parts back then, and needed the jeep for hunting, so I vee'd the crack and brazed it up, filed it smooth and put it on. A good enough temporary repair. Twenty-plus years later, it's still doing fine. Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 8:14pm
Good to see your keeping your mechanic well hydrated!

Sometimes all it takes is a short break to reduce frustration, then try it again

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2018 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

The rear cap on my 3B was cracked like that. I had no spare parts back then, and needed the jeep for hunting, so I vee'd the crack and brazed it up, filed it smooth and put it on. A good enough temporary repair. Twenty-plus years later, it's still doing fine. Wink  BW

All repairs are temporary, until such a time as they work... and become permanent Smile

(a good repair is good, and NOT to be confused with Bubba Weldit LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>