Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do with your jeep today -January 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with your jeep today -January 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 5:24am
After work I put the dowel pins and bolts in the crank. Nervously removed the rear cap to do so. After getting them in I install the oil pan.  I will not be surprised when it leaks oil later from the cap LOLConfusedOuch

I then JB welded around the air cleaned I will be using. It had a small hole in it.

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 11:39am
Tires for the trailer build arrived last night. I'm on the road today. So I'll take them with me and find a tire shop somewhere along the way....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 6:21am
NOT much today. But some progress.

I got to fixing my upper Starter bolt hole. I managed to get all but about 1/2 of one rotation of the 7/8" long Helicoil insert I bought from McMaster Carr. to seat in the hole. It got to hard to turn the tap and I have done a huge amount of hand threading over the years so I know when to give up before something makes me cry.

Funny thing is once I got the Hole fixed the Bolt wouldn't fit wouldn't line up. In the comments from other guys who have done the Toyota starter swap most mentioned having to open the top bolt hole in the Starter a little. SO I guess I would have to too. A few min with a nice rat tail file and she fits perfect. The old wallered out hole must have allowed the bolt to run at an angle.

I also made the shortest Brake hose possible its about 1/16" long then the two tube nuts and my double flaring tool would fit on the tubing. I am going to run my 10lb residual pressure valve right next to the Rear Brake Proportioning valve both have female 3/8-24 inverted flare connections. And NAPA couldn't find me a Male to Male connector so I had to make one.

I also got squirrelly and cleaned up the grinding/bandsaw room and all around the Milling machine and Drill press. Put a couple of hand fulls of tools back in the box and got ready for tomorrow when hopefully the majority of my flexable brake line stuff will arrive and I can get that all hooked up.

Then I went dress shopping with my 11 year old grand daughter who has a Jr High dance fri and wanted to spend some Christmas money on a new dress. She picked out a super simple Black dress she looks very cute in. And grandpa must have walked 4 miles inside that damn Target store following her around.

BUT then I took her out in the shop and showed her the progress on CHUG and she was excited she knows one day grandpa is going to teach her to drive in it. And she's actually interested in the project. This is the first time I have had enough assembled for her to actually figure it out. She's a very girl girl LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 7:11pm
I just sent off my carb to ScoutPilot to work on.  Hopefully it won't take major money to fix it.  The total investment keeps going up.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 2:52pm
My grandpa bought this 46 cj2a back in 52 or 53 something like that.  He drove it up until he died about 30-40 years ago.   The details are kind of scarce.   It had been sitting in the AZ desert for the last 3 decades.   My brother finally got a hold of it and here we are rebuilding it.   Awesome project. It's running and driving.  We completely rebuilt the motor, new valves, new pistons, etc.   Fired right up once we got the distributor in the correct position.   Hell of a feeling.   I'd say about its 80% complete now.   We lack installing the wiring harness, lights, seats, couple things here and there.  Next big hurdle is getting it registered and plated!  Some before and after pics below.   Still cant figure out why it rotates some of the pics when I upload them! 

Edited by NealzWorld - 14 Jan. 2019 at 3:33am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 3:30pm
 8 inches of powder today.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 8:30pm
Looks like it worked good.

Would recognize those footprints anywhere.  LOL
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:15am
Got the heater and switch mounted. Then it got dark. I really need to build something for a shop. 

The Jeep (halfway) had a heater in it before. It was removed by someone in the past. So the holes were all there.  The PO had covered them with what turned out to be sheet rubber glued to the firewall. It peeled right off. It still took a lot of trial and error to get the bolts to line up. Next chance I get I’ll plumb and wire it. Then on to the next little project. Probably the Ross box. 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 3:16am
I replaced my center console ammo box with a smaller one.  

It has been in the mid 50's and sunny this weekend so I washed it yesterday.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 4:35am
I been stuck in "How to make a Drill Jig" for my header flange. Since I want to be able to make more then one copy I need away to accurately reproduce them. A drill jig to locate the holes in exactly the correct place is going to be required. I love making things that can't be checked for fit until they are finished. Like brake lines LOL. Or drill jigs for something you can't accurately measure.

I'm closing in on it Got most the holes in the right place either one of three to go depending on if I go with a flip over design. Do one side then flip it over to do the other. That worked real well for the drill jig that I used when I repaired the Stud holes for the manifolds.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 3:41pm
Yesterday afternoon I took my oldest grand daughter out for a driving lesson.  Her dad had her driving the suburban with an automatic and she did ok.  I brought "Eeyore" the '64 CJ5 for her to drive.  She was ready to jump in behind the wheel.  I opened the hood and we had a lesson on what was in there. 
She did well driving and we will go again. 
These kids sure grow up quickly.  I hope she will develop a love for Jeeps.      
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 1:36am
Today was all about DA Header working on drill jigs and starting to make flanges also spending a BUNCH of money on bent tubing.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 8:29pm
Couple days ago I bought 2 parts Jeeps for the one I have now. When I can coordinate with some people they will be moved to my house. The girlfriend says she loves me but we'll see when there are 2 more Jeeps here
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Couple days ago I bought 2 parts Jeeps for the one I have now. When I can coordinate with some people they will be moved to my house. The girlfriend says she loves me but we'll see when there are 2 more Jeeps here

LOL It’s only 2 more and they probably ain’t even whole Jeeps. I you need help moving them let me know. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

LOL It’s only 2 more and they probably ain’t even whole Jeeps. I you need help moving them let me know. 

They are complete enough to resemble Jeeps

Thank you for the offer.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 2:37am
Finished all the port holes in my Header Flange (photos in my Project thread) and I made a neat little PITA round flange that will get welded on the end of the 1.75" to 2.25" 2 into 1 collector to attach the tailpipe. I made a mistake on it right towards the end of the process and ended up with the Weld channel on the outside instead of the inside. SO I guess I have to make a pretty weld as it will now show.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 3:02am
I see January’s post is titled “What did you do with your jeep today?” rather than what did you do to your jeep. Maybe it’s just a semantical difference. Anyway, tonight I picked up the front brakes from a small shop that was able to re-arch them to match the drums. It’s the same place that rebuilt my clutch disc and they are about a mile from where I live. It was only $10!
Turned out to be a good day. I have been waiting 18 years for the shoes to seat in! They were only contacting the drum on 1/3 of the shoe at most.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 11:50am
Not very exciting....but I drove mine a bit yesterday. I was rearranging the shop to make room for the truck. I want to get the pickup under cover in prep for the coming snopocalypse that is being hyped to near hysteria here in New England. Anyway.....couple miles got the oils moving. Then back to slumber.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>