Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do with your jeep today -January 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with your jeep today -January 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Decided I better turn around and figure it out. When I did the head lights quit.  

Sounds like you're right, your wiring is suspect, but, whenever my headlights quit, I stomp on the high beam switch a few times. The internal contacts can corrode and intermittently cut power to the lights. Yes, cuts power to high and low beams. The high beam switch is just as unreliable as the repro starter switches.

That would explain why they they just started working again. I had just spent an hour cramming myself under the dash changing out the throttle and choke cables.
I’ll assume your right on this and go on to figuring out why I’m not charging anymore 

EDIT. Turns out you hit the nail on the head Joe. It’s the dimmer switch 

Edited by Mike F - 29 Jan. 2019 at 12:53am
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 6:48pm
Used the 5 as a drying rack for a set of horns from a long horn steer.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 7:08pm
Well, waddya know, a CJ5 is actually good for something! WinkLOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 8:52pm
Watch it Bruce!    Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2019 at 2:27am

Fired her up this afternoon. Last week she would not idle and I had to replace the alternator. Must have been some junk in the carb after sitting a couple months. Revved her up a few times seems to have blown it out. Readjusted idle and mixture.

Took her to Auto Zone to get radiator sealant. The crack above the distributor has been dripping a bit more lately. Filled the tank with fresh gas.

The handbrake stopped working a while back. The lever would not pull back. Everything at the drum is new. Figured the ratchet was rusty or had junk in it. Pulled it out and it was fine. Cable seized. Pulled it out. Seized so much that even pulling on it with pliers couldn’t get it to move. I did not like the prospect of replacing it. So, I massaged the housing back and forth for a few minutes and got it to move. With some oil and more massaging, I got it all freed up. Put it back in, put some grease on the ratchet and it works better than ever.

Tomorrow, if the weather holds out, I’m going to take her up in the hills to do some plinking with the .22.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2019 at 5:32am
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Watch it Bruce!    Tom

LOL  I figured I'd get a rise out of you! Big smileWink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2019 at 8:01am
I figured out 27 different ways to rearrange pieces of 1.5" OD tubing to make like exhaust pipe. I figure another half day I should have it all figured out LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2019 at 11:36am
Me and a buddy were driving around yesterday in our jeeps. 22 degrees out, but it was fun. But he tells me that my brakes lights are flickering, sometimes the work, sometimes not. 9 months ago I installed a new master cylinder, brake light switch and new wiring. I'm suspecting the switch has gone bad. I see a lot of people have trouble with these. I'll verify it today. I'm thinking about going with a mechanical switch instead. Has anyone else done this?
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2019 at 3:50pm
Yes.  I used a lever type switch from a '50's chevy.  Bolted it to the master cyl. cover plate on the floor.  With the brake pedal up the switch is open, push the brake pedal down and the switch closes and the brake lights come on.  It took some adjustment when first installed but has worked well.   
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 2:18am
Well, it was supposed to be an outing to go do some plinking. Turned into playing in the mud. Got a friend to bring out his newer Jeep. So, I felt comfortable to take her out for her longest off road outing. Didn't do much plinking.

Only had one issue. I hit a deep hole in the mudhole. Next thing it sounds like my clutch exploded. Got it out of the hole and to the side of the path. Fan shroud extension was pushed into the blade. How the hell did that happen? Bent it back but it still made noise the whole way back. Need to get under the hood and figure out what happened.

Scraped about 40 pounds off mud of her. No gas in the pressure washer. Great. Spent the next hour trying to wash away another 40 pounds.

That was fun. I need to do that again. Next time, I'll remember to get gas for the pressure washer.

It took me only four tries to get a picture to post right side up. Wow

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 28 Jan. 2019 at 4:52am

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 2:22am
I pressure washed both parts Jeeps I just bought.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 3:38am
Cut down and removed a dead tree.   It might have fallen on road in front of our house one day, so removed for safety,  and this yellow pine makes decent "starter" firewood.

Greybeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greybeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 2:59pm
GOT MY TITLE!  

My 47 came with title problems. Took 3 months, but I've got 'em resolved.  Obviously, I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a vehicle I might not be able to title... 

So...  On with the project :)

Unfortunately... high temps this week around 15f.  Doubt I'll be out in the shop much :D
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 5:22pm
Yesterday, I decided to take a look at my PTO gearbox on the 3B and discovered that instead of gear oil, it was full of water. Drained that and now I'm planning on taking it apart over the next few weeks.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 1:11am
I've been rebuilding another GDZ 4817a generator. The armature has been serviced, field coils rewrapped and rewired, lots of little things done. Waiting on a new commutator end bronze bushing and a set if NOS Autolite brushes to arrive.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 1:45am

Love your pictures of your jeep doing work Ron.Keep those pictures coming.

Giles

[/QUOTE]
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 10:49pm

I thought I would give the millennials something to Google when they are stopped behind me. Maybe they will learn something …..…, but I doubt it.

Also, found this cup holder:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Heavy-Duty-Magnetic-Steel-Cup-Holder/1000614969

Micah

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2019 at 2:06pm
It was like -7 out yesterday, no jeep driving!

I am rebuilding the t90 on my Empire tractor using the Rick Stivers guide. Here it is so far.

I packed the bearings then had to remove them all to shorten the internal spacer just a bit.

1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>