Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019! - Event Date: 15 Sep. 2019 - 20 Sep. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 2:13pm
Mike,
 I am pretty sure of the answer to this question but I think the answer should come from you for obvious reasons. Will the days a person is planning to be at FCT effect their odds of being picked to attend. I know it sounds like a silly question but I think some may not send in their registration thinking chances will be reduced if they are not going to be there all week. Just a thought.  Mike
jeephawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeephawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 5:01pm
Mike, our registration and waiver is in the mail.  Thanks again for hosting this event. I know it’s a huge amount of work and you should be able to enjoy it.  We all have come to look forward to our week of jeeping with our Willy’s friends and soaking in the awesome scenery.  Hopefully we’ll be lucky enough to attend again this year. Jeff
54cj3b
55 pu
56cj5
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 12:09am
mriceflinter, No, the number of days you plan to be here during FCT are not considered in the assignment of random numbers.  And there is no way I can tell who's going to be here for two days or two weeks from the registration form.  If you want to be here, send in a form.  If I have your form on May 1, the random number generator will give me a number for that form.  Then the forms get put into order from one to one hundred.  I know that some folks are coming a long way to be here and may miss a day or two as a result of travel time.  And that others will have other reasons for missing some days.  That's OK.  I'm glad that each of you are making an effort to be here and be part of the fun.  

And speaking of forms, at the end of the first week of registration we have 12 forms on file.  I'll try to remember to post how many forms I have at the end of each week.  Until I get 51 forms, everyone who registered is invited to come.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 12:19am
Mike, I have to ask...what is a "random number generator" and how does that work?  Is it a phone app or what?  Has it been certified by the state?  Anything like a "flux capacitor?  Inquiring minds need to know!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 1:18am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Mike, I have to ask...what is a "random number generator"?  Anything like a "flux capacitor?  Inquiring minds need to know!

Actually, I think it's more like a "turbo encabulator".  LOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 1:30am
If you remember the old Fletch movie, as he is working on a plane, "It's your Fetzer valves, wait, it's all done with ball bearings now"
uncamonkey
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:44am
I always thought it was part of the improbability drive from hichhikers guide to the galaxy! 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 12:29pm
Tom, I'll tell it to you straight because you asked an honest question and you deserve an honest answer. Thumbs Up It's a true dystal-confabulatory system that allows for creation of interstitial digital anomalies when prosecuted with alacrity. Wacko  And if that's not clear enough, then google "random number generator" and see what appears. Wink
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 2:50pm
Mike,
It appears that Alice has been bumped for vacation time. It looks like we will be staying at our friends cabin the 8th to possible the 17th. I know you will be busy but maybe we can grab a bite of dinner out somewhere or?? If those days free up she might be able to adjust her time accordingly, however we are not going to fill out a registration and take a slot someone else can use for sure. So what I`m saying is we will be in the area at some point, but out of the event this year.

Dennis & Alice
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

And if that's not clear enough, then google "random number generator" and see what appears. Wink

Hey, that's pretty cool.  Sort of like the draft lottery only without all the hard work and the vacation to Vietnam at the end!Wink
Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:22pm
Dmac, I'm sorry you won't be part of this year's FCT, but we can still get a ride or two in.  I may still be scouting new trails and would love to have you along.  Dinner plans will be made for sure.  

Tom, yup it works pretty slick.  And in testing it a couple of times it seems to give me a good spread of numbers.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 10:48pm
In spite of how it sometimes seems, computers are really good at doing exactly the same thing every time, less good at doing things randomly.  So often computer random number generators actually do have some repeatability.  I know that back in the day the "random" number generator in Lotus 1-2-3 (remember that?) always gave the exact same sequence.  The sequence seemed random the first time through, but if you paid attention you realized that you were going to get exactly the same "random" sequence each time you used it.

Of course that doesn't matter at all for this use.  It'll be plenty random for this purpose (and I doubt anything available now is as primitive as 1980s spreadsheet software!).  But it might be worth considering if you are trying to use the random number generator for creating an encryption code for top secret espionage or something!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 2:07pm
Mike, Thanks for hosting this event again this year. I can't imagine the work that goes into it. Will you be giving any kind of confirmation showing that you received our registration form, or do we just need to have faith in the USPS that they delivered it?
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 3:15pm
Good luck with it all. I was a cook for a while and had to cook for too many people. I did it without my helpers a few times. I have had a few parties here and cooked for 30 or 40 people. One guy still wants me to cook up chili con carne for him. The pigs we roasted were fun. Cleaning up is a chore.
uncamonkey
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 4:28am
Speaking of interstitial conflabulatory Fetser valves, I am a very recently retired college professor.  I no kidding taught class on random number generation. 😁. Let’s face it. Random number generators are seldom discussed by anyone but nerdy people. Suddenly my topic is hot!
I would be pleased to offer the Reader’s Digest version of how Excel’s RND() works at FCT.  Beer might help. Excel’s current generator is fully mission capable. 
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Mike, Thanks for hosting this event again this year. I can't imagine the work that goes into it. Will you be giving any kind of confirmation showing that you received our registration form, or do we just need to have faith in the USPS that they delivered it?

That's a good question.  How about if I publish the last name on each registration I receive each week along with the tally of total registrations received during that week?  And if you still want more reassurance then send me a PM and I'll chat with you directly offline. 

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Cleaning up is a chore.

You got that right.  Fortunately all our guests have always been very good about cleaning up after themselves, so that chore has been minimal.  Just hauling loads of trash to the dump has been a chore.  

Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Speaking of interstitial conflabulatory Fetser valves, I am a very recently retired college professor.  I no kidding taught class on random number generation. 😁. Let’s face it. Random number generators are seldom discussed by anyone but nerdy people. Suddenly my topic is hot!
I would be pleased to offer the Reader’s Digest version of how Excel’s RND() works at FCT.  Beer might help. Excel’s current generator is fully mission capable.

Most Excellent!  A subject matter expert in a field where I am a novice, but require faith in it working for me.  OK Professor, a question on results.  If I select a generator, and specify a range of 1-100, should I expect to see any duplicate numbers displayed (i.e. 27 twice) during it's generation of say 90 numbers?  

And since I would like to get this data into an excell spreadsheet for the guides to have in case we have an accident, perhaps I should start building my spreadsheet now.  And between now and May you can tutor me on effective ways to use excell's RMD(.) command.  Professor Alan, are you up to the challenge?
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">That's a good question.  How about if I publish the last name on each registration I receive each week along with the tally of total registrations received during that week?  And if you still want more reassurance then send me a PM and I'll chat with you directly offline. 
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Cleaning up is a chore.
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">You got that right.  Fortunately all our guests have always been very good about cleaning up after themselves, so that chore has been minimal.  Just hauling loads of trash to the dump has been a chore.  <div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Speaking of interstitial conflabulatory Fetser valves, I am a very recently retired college professor.  I no kidding taught class on random number generation. 😁. Let’s face it. Random number generators are seldom discussed by anyone but nerdy people. Suddenly my topic is hot!<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">I would be pleased to offer the Reader’s Digest version of how Excel’s RND() works at FCT.  Beer might help. Excel’s current generator is fully mission capable.
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Most Excellent!  A subject matter expert in a field where I am a novice, but require faith in it working for me.  OK Professor, a question on results.  If I select a generator, and specify a range of 1-100, should I expect to see any duplicate numbers displayed (i.e. 27 twice) during it's generation of say 90 numbers?  <div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">And since I would like to get this data into an excell spreadsheet for the guides to have in case we have an accident, perhaps I should start building my spreadsheet now.  And between now and May you can tutor me on effective ways to use excell's RMD(.) command.  Professor Alan, are you up to the challenge?

Sounds good Mike.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 3:44am

That's a good question.  How about if I publish the last name on each registration I receive each week along with the tally of total registrations received during that week? 

That's a great way if it not too much work.  It would probably cut down on 'did you get mine' .

Edited by mickeykelley - 18 Jan. 2019 at 3:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>