Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original vs Omix-ADA radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 8:16pm
Hey Stan,

Thanks for the video and I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you.

Dave
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 8:19pm
Stan,  any chance your temp gauge could be bad? 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Stan,  any chance your temp gauge could be bad? 

Don’t think so. I’ve changed it out twice and checked it with an infrared thermometer.  Gauge  reads what the thermometer reads.  I wish it were that.

I have had this issue with two different engines. The common denominator has been the original radiator. Well at least one of the common denominators. 

If this replacement performs well, then I might pony up the money for a rod job or a recore on my original. Then again I might just run this one forever. I am pretty cheap and pretty lazy, Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 8:33pm
Thrifty, maybe...lazy, no way!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 1:34am
Stan,
I was hoping you would break down and try this before I had to. Done all the same things you have and she still runs hot. For the price, I was contemplating the Omix over taking it to a radiator shop. Now, I’m leaning more towards the Omix as a last resort. Don’t like how it is not st up for the shroud extension and wonder if one would even fit. Don’t like how the upper connection is not as original and no place for the felt. 

Thanks for bitting the bullet and giving us a review.

Don’t forget Omix does a rebate. I saved up $800 in receipts for all the junk I bought last year. Then I realized you have only 60 days to send it in. Oh well.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 3:25am
I got the radiator installed. It fit fine. 
The shroud was a little close to the fan at the bottom. That got me looking around a little and I found a broken motor mount. I ordered some new motor mounts. When they arrived I put a couple of washers on top of them to try and move the fan up a little. Seemed to make a little more clearance for the fan.

With the  upper water neck being straight rather than angled like the original my top radiator hose wouldn’t reach. I had tilted the original radiator towards the engine a little trying to get the fan closer and then had to trim the hose a little so now with the new rad it wouldn’t reach.

I wanted onother straight hose, but Napa wanted 40 bucks for the straight hose they had, so I settled for a flex hose from Autozone for about $7. Doesn’t look terrible, but I don’t really like flex hoses.

For some reason, the top felt piece doesn’t really cover the gap. 

I filled it up with some coolant and fired it up, pulled the throttle out a little to try and get it warmed up. It went up to 160 degrees (same as the thermostat) and stayed there. I wasn’t surprised because the ambient temp today was in the upper 30s. I thought I would try and test it a little and put a cardboard in front of the rad covering up about 2/3 of it. I then let it run for about 29 minutes with the throttle pulled out a little while I cleaned up the garage some. Temp gauge still never went over 160. 

So I guess we’ll see when the temps heat up. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 3:42am
Stan,
Thanks again for all the work to do a review.

For your radiator hose, here is a link to the Gates site:

I got a good price on the upper straight hose section from Rock Auto.

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 4:28am
160 degrees and no more? Great. Maybe the heating problem is gone.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 4:27am
I thought I would do a little update here since Micah asked on another thread.

So far the Omix radiator has been doing well as far as keeping things cool. I do not think I have driven in adverse enough conditions to give a real accurate review of how it will perform in very hot, Moab summer over 100 degree like conditions.  

I ran it all day long the other day in Sand Hollow and the temp gauge never got above 160; but it was a cool March day, probably in the low 50s and it rained most of the day. So not a real difinative test. 

A negative on this radiator is the filler neck. The neck is a little bit tight for the standard radiator cap. When I went to check the coolant level before my trip to Sand Hollow, I could not get the cap off. The metal edge of the center part of the cap was catching on the side of the neck and would not come out. It was digging into the aluminum of the neck.

I used my bubba skills and stuck a screwdriver between the neck and the metal center of the cap thinking that the metal disk of the cap would calapse and release it, but no!  The soft aluminum of the neck distorted and bent out of shape. By the time I got the pieces of the cap out, the neck was pretty distorted. I wish i would have taken some pictures, but I didn’t. 

I managed to bend the thing mostly back into shape, but the new cap I put on there also seems to be stuck. I did run it that way without issue, but checking the coolant level may be an issue.i don’t want to bend the neck and sealing surfaces up any more than I already have.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 12:57pm
Stan, can you set it up with a small overflow tank of some kind so you don't have to pull the radiator cap to do a quick check of the fluid level?
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 4:22pm
The filler neck on this Omix radiator was giving me such a pain that I took the radiator to the shop and had a new steel neck put on it. I am very happy with it now.

I ran the Jeep  in Moab in upper 90 degree temps and had zero cooling issues. This is with no scroud extension and without the flaps around the radiator.

Bottom line, this radiator works well but is not a perfect fit and the filler neck is a weak point.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
VermontOverland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VermontOverland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 4:13pm
Recent engine rebuild (spun a rod bearing) and rad recore on my '53 3B.  While it's running between 180-200 on the road, off-road it's creeping up to 220 and over.  Was running hotter on the road, but I removed the T-stat.  Living in the SW now, didn't think I'd need it.  Any issues with removing same?   Ordered the O-A rad as well.   

Other issue is not nearly as much top-end power as the pre-rebuild motor.  Same carb and other ancillaries.  Almost a bit sputtery and hesitant in third gear going uphill.  Any thoughts?  

Lastly, any recommendations on a good place to buy a new fuel gauge sending unit (usual in-tank float sender)? 

Thx for another great thread, Stan!
Peter Vollers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VermontOverland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 10:39pm
Peter Vollers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by VermontOverland VermontOverland wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these rads?

That one seems to have the same issue as Stan's did with the top hose coming out at 90 degrees instead of angled.  You might look at this one if you are looking for bottom mount:    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Full-Aluminum-Radiator-for-Jeep-Willys-41-52-3-Rows-48-49-50-51-Manual/172327427901?hash=item281f83df3d:g:pEIAAOSwFV9XyRhg

I didn't see any side mount rads, but I would think they are out there.  Ebay has a ton of rads available.  I bought my bottom mount there a few years ago, had zero fit issues, and am very happy with the performance.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VermontOverland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Originally posted by VermontOverland VermontOverland wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these rads?

That one seems to have the same issue as Stan's did with the top hose coming out at 90 degrees instead of angled.  You might look at this one if you are looking for bottom mount:    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Full-Aluminum-Radiator-for-Jeep-Willys-41-52-3-Rows-48-49-50-51-Manual/172327427901?hash=item281f83df3d:g:pEIAAOSwFV9XyRhg

I didn't see any side mount rads, but I would think they are out there.  Ebay has a ton of rads available.  I bought my bottom mount there a few years ago, had zero fit issues, and am very happy with the performance.

Thx, Tom. The radiator express rad is side mount and seems to match my existing rad perfectly.  Thx for the ebay link too.  
Peter Vollers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 3:03am
You should NEVER run an engine without a thermostat.

Do you have the felt around the radiator?

Do you have a fan shroud?

Do you have a fan shroud extender?

Is your fan bent?

What is your timing set at?

Micah

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:25am
Micah,
Why should you NEVER run an engine without a thermostat?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Micah,
Why should you NEVER run an engine without a thermostat?
I wouldn't say never, but generally, it's twofold: if you don't let the engine get hot enough, besides not running optimally, you can collect condensation in the engine that won't steam off.  In colder climes it's a big deal and you'll often see that chocolate milk look on your oil filler cap.  

Secondly, the coolant system is designed for a restriction to slow the flow of coolant down so that there is some latency and the coolant has time to absorb the heat from the engine and subsequently lose the heat passing through the radiator.  Without that restriction the flow of coolant can be too fast to do either.  The old trick was to drill a hole through the outer rim of the thermostat if you needed more flow.

All that said, if you're overheating, it is almost always something other than your thermostat.  You can tell if your thermostat is working once the engine reaches temperature if you have water flowing through your radiator.  You can check it on the stove by immersing it hot water and checking with a thermometer.  Thermostats are cheap and easy to replace so they usually get the blame, but IME, they're rarely the root cause of overheating.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>