Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

buick v6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 47heater 47heater wrote:

Hotrod59, What did you use for the exhaust? Any photos of the path of the exhaust?
The headers are novak block huggers. I don't have the exhaust done yet. 
1948 Luzon red CJ2A No name yet
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 7:06pm
This is the way I routed my exhaust. 225 engine T15 tranny Dana 18 transfer case with overdrive.

Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 7:40pm
Harry, that's a really nice looking and very well matched drive train.
Where did you get the T15 overdrive shift lever parts ?
They look like factory made parts.

Is that T15 OD shifter something that Herm sells or homade ?
Curious... what ratio gears are you running in the transfer case and the differentials ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the photos. Very clean installation. A lot of planning to work around everything.
wild1joker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 8:03pm
thanks for all the input, and photo's. Very helpful...
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 10:28pm
I had a overdrive shifter from herm but I didn't like it. it moved the shift lever to far forward and was only made from a small bent piece of flat stock 1/8x 3/4.i made this shifter myself. it has to be set a little higher up to get enough movement to Mach the trans shifter. no room between the trans and transfer case shift levers. I will have to find a two lever boot that will fit when I get to that point. The transfer case has stock gears. this case was from an original dauntless setup. not sure if they had different ratio. the differentials are stock 5.38 I am using 11 inch brakes and Saginaw steering.

Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 10:55pm
some pictures of the overdrive shifter.

Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 11:18pm
You could always go with a diesel. Im running this 1.9 vw tdi. It will go 60 all day long with no problems. I am running t-90, spicer18 with Saturn overdrive and 5.38 gears. At 60mph I am at 2400rpm. This engin will rev to 4500-5000. Cruising at 60mph I get 38-40mpg. With my current setup I am at 120hp/200ft.lbs. These engines can reliably make 150/300 if you need more power. The engine weighs 365lbs. So there are some weight savings too! Ive been putting lots of miles on this thing since i got it on the road back in may 2018. 

Partway through the build. 

I wanted a v6 when I started restoring my jeep then started researching the the diesel. I couldnt pass up the fuel economy, reliability and how easy it is to find these engines. Also the fact that they regularly run 300-400,000 miles is a plus! Also.....that turbo whistle is pretty cool! :)  

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 1:19am
Falcon's impressive engineering in swapping in the VW turbodiesel really shows the potential for these ubiquitous TDIs in the Willys platform. But there was considerable fabrication and machining work involved, as his detailed build videos and photos showed. By comparison, the GM 90-degree ohv V6s are a popular choice (nice work, Harry E!) and benefit from ready-made conversion kits. I always liked the idea of a diesel jeep and think I'd go the TDI route for its torque, superior fuel economy and injection (vs. a carb), if I were considering replacing my stock L134.   
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 1:30am
Thanks Luzon! There  are a few companies out there that make adapters that could be retrofitted to use the tdi. A friend of mine used an ahu tdi instead of my alh tdi. That is a few years older and didn’t require as much fabrication to complete the swap. Yes, the v6 is a likely an easier swap....it’s a very cool classic engine. But if you like diesels the tdi is a good option
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 1:47am
Millennium F,
Yes you certainly performed a nice fit with that VW engine.
Is this an interference type engine ?

Also... Those tires look impressive..
They look to be narrow 2 stage radials... 
What are they ? and what's the ply rating ?
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 5:05am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Falcon's impressive engineering in swapping in the VW turbodiesel really shows the potential for these ubiquitous TDIs in the Willys platform. But there was considerable fabrication and machining work involved, as his detailed build videos and photos showed. By comparison, the GM 90-degree ohv V6s are a popular choice (nice work, Harry E!) and benefit from ready-made conversion kits. I always liked the idea of a diesel jeep and think I'd go the TDI route for its torque, superior fuel economy and injection (vs. a carb), if I were considering replacing my stock L134.   

Falcon's swap is truly impressive,  and functionally = a top swap for sure. (for the very technically inclined)    As someone with less talented fabrication skills,  have no regrets though on my Dauntless swap.   For somewhere between $1500-$2000 I have "rebuilt" engine/tranny/xfer.   Lots of low end torque,  and it sounds so cool at idle.   LOL

Concerning exhaust,  I thought I had better photo,  but this mock-up shows the route I took  (above the driveshaft).  It survived Rubicon without a dent.   Heat might be issue,  but I wrapped it.  . .   
Only one year in,  but so far the tranny/clutch has survived, some fairly long drives,  and a day at Moab with 100+ temps.

Edited by JeepFever - 06 Feb. 2019 at 3:49am
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 8:22am
Any tips or advice on engine mounts
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 2:06pm
I have the Dauntless V6 in my Jeep. It will easily achieve 55 MPH and has plenty of low end torque for trail use. I like how well it lugs around 700-1000 RPM.

I have since changed radiators to a much larger aluminum radiator because I was having issues with it running hot.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 2:13pm
Yes the tdi is an interference timing belt driven engine... for some people that is a deal breaker. For me it isn't much of a concern. I replaced all the the timing components with quality German parts.. they have 100,000 mile service intervals. The engine is equipped with a good protective cover. Many people use these engines in severe conditions with no trouble.... but yes it could fail and leave you stranded. I suppose all engines have things that could fail at inopportune times.. lol! 

The tires are cooper stt pro radials... of the top of my head i want to say 6 ply sidewalls??? They are really nice smooth tires with great traction. I didnt even balance these... Ive had them up to 65mph with no problems. Im running 215/85-16... 

Sorry to get off topic just wanted to answer those questions.... carry on! LOL 
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by 47heater 47heater wrote:

Any tips or advice on engine mounts

I and many others have sourced the factory frame mounts off a V6 CJ5/CJ6 frame.
You can see them in the pictures Harry E posted.
There are companies that make conversion mounts as well, Advanced Adapters, etc.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 3:40pm

This air cleaner looks like it provides ideal clearance for a low hood flatty with 2 bbl Dauntless.
What is the donor rig ?
Does it provide a lot of hood clearance ?

Wild1joker.........
Have you been able to make any decisions on how you plan to improve yours ?
Zero aftermarket parts

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Yes the tdi is an interference timing belt driven engine... for some people that is a deal breaker. For me it isn't much of a concern. I replaced all the the timing components with quality German parts.. they have 100,000 mile service intervals. The engine is equipped with a good protective cover. Many people use these engines in severe conditions with no trouble.... but yes it could fail and leave you stranded. I suppose all engines have things that could fail at inopportune times.. lol! 

The tires are cooper stt pro radials... of the top of my head i want to say 6 ply sidewalls??? They are really nice smooth tires with great traction. I didnt even balance these... Ive had them up to 65mph with no problems. Im running 215/85-16... 

Sorry to get off topic just wanted to answer those questions.... carry on! LOL 

Sir, I as well like your tires could I bother you for an actual tape measure of inches in height as mounted ?..

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>