Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16 speed 2a project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ahmichigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 speed 2a project
    Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 1:28am
it was a side table pan from an old sears table saw.  I needed to notch it down at the twin sticks so they would pivot.
The size was a pretty good fit.  Lol
Seating Capacity of a CJ-2a is 4 adults or 1 adult and 14 cub scouts. :) CJ-2A 1946 #22740
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 1:06am
What did you make that tranny cover from?  It's an interesting piece.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 12:54am
Nicely done!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 10:16pm
 Oh, and I am learning to drive with the NDT's     7.5-16's  31" are a pretty good fit  STA brand.
Seating Capacity of a CJ-2a is 4 adults or 1 adult and 14 cub scouts. :) CJ-2A 1946 #22740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 10:04pm
Nothing is free, I needed to make a new slightly raised shifter cover. I already have rust on my column shifter... I have to stop driving in the snow...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 10:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 9:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 9:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 9:49pm
This air cleaner came from a 1964 buick special, a few mods to the gas line and choke were needed to drop it strait onto the 2 barrel.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 9:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 9:31pm
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:11pm
I'm curious for photos as well.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:53am
Originally posted by ahmichigan ahmichigan wrote:

I will post some pictures if anyone wants to see this clearance voodoo!

Well, YEAH we wanna see it!  Thumbs Up  You didn't need to ask!  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:36am
Hi everyone, 
I have had a blast so far this winter turning a lot of wrenches, and I want to share with some like minded Jeep fans, and maybe this may help someone.
A while back I swapped some 4.27 axles into my 2a, and was driving it fine with my l-head and T-90c from a 64 cj5.
All was well for a long time, but the sand dunes in Michigan made me want the v6, and that is when the fun began.  Thanks to many great tips from you all I was able to marry a Buick fireball 225 (1964 only) to a dauntless flywheel and clutch from a commando to a gutted model 20 case, changed to a model 18.  That little t-14 was awesome while it lasted! I let my neighbor have some fun with it, and it blew up.  I was expecting it to go eventually, just not so soon.  I fell upon a 1979 t-18 out of a C.J.-5, and with the output and adapter in place for the model 18/20 and the short input shaft, I was able to do a unique conversion.   The Jeep t-18 is 13” with the factory 1” thick TC adapter.  The Jeep T-18 can be converted to a GM bell, similar to the Ford T-18, but you need to get the Novak ford t-18 to GM bearing retainer (fits the Jeep t-18 exactly) and a new clutch disk with the ford 1 1/16” spline rather than the normal dauntless 1-1/8” spline.  The pilot bushing also needs to change.  The stick out was nearly perfect but I took about 1/8” off the tip to be sure it didn’t bottom out on the crank.   The assembly works great, and the T-18 fits with the v6 and the original radiator and original Ross steering, in an original 2a frame, and in the original transmission cross member location without any drop spacers.
The crazy thing was, the only way this fit was to swap my 1 barrel manifold (came with the fireball) to the 2 barrel dauntless manifold, and the 2 barrel Rochester carb that is 1.5” lower but can be use with the fireball air cleaner that wraps down around the carb.  With that extra 1.5” I raised the V6 plenty to avoid the typical driveshaft issues with the V6.  Worth noting the battery tray also stayed in its original spot (but it sits very close to the alternator.  
If you are staying with me, the 4.27 gears and the t-18 granny, has a respectable crawl ratio, we’ll lower than stock, (about 65)
But I always wanted an overdrive, since my first Jeep as a teenager, so 25 years later I finally sprang for one.  I could not use the stock linkage for a t-90 because I had the t-18 shift tower taking up all my space.  (A side note you can fit the twin stick next to the t-18 by shaving a bit off the fork housing...)
So I pulled out my extra 2a column shifter parts and made a linkage down the column to the original column shifter box,  ran a rod down past the t-18 on the drivers side, (side note, you can only make this work with a 1979 Jeep T-18 that had the reverse fork moved to the tower, eliminating the driver side bulge...)
The rod linked to a pivot across the top of the TC and to a third link back to the rear shift overdrive.  It is not crisp, but it works!
All this said, it works for me, and if you followed all this you clearly know I have a problem..😜. I will post some pictures if anyone wants to see this clearance voodoo!

Post Reply Post Reply